How many events do you remember where you were when you learned of them ?

Further

President Reagan, coffee machine at Square D

John Lennon, coffee machine at Square D  

9/11, in the basement at the glass plant

Challenger explosion, at the hospital my wife was getting a prenatal check up, a few months later my daughter was born

John Glenn orbiting the earth, in my second grade classroom 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Further said:

President Reagan

On the school bus on the way home from high school

6 minutes ago, Further said:

John Lennon,

School, after coming out a grade 10 exam.  I remember shugging and saying to my buddy, BFD.

8 minutes ago, Further said:

9/11

At home working on basement renovation.  My next door neighbor called and said to turn on the TV.  Before I got upstairs to turn it on my boss called and told me to get dressed and get my ass into work.

10 minutes ago, Further said:

Challenger explosion

Home.  Day off from Uni and had the TV on for background noise.  Heard the breaking story as it came on

12 minutes ago, Further said:

John Glenn

3 1/2 years before I was born so not even an idea in my dad's mind

• Heart 1

Armstrong moon walk @1:00 am, Challenger tragic explosion long after it happened that day -- at home, Waterloo, Ontario

California earthquake- in a hotel dining area north of Toronto with 6 other staff engineers (they knew Ontario building and fire codes very well)  looking at the tv footage of buildings' damage.

911/going up an elevator in office building in  Toronto's financial district downtown-seeing attack  on tv screen inside elevator. Then  8 min. later staff member rushed into library to tell me aftermath. Our firm lost 1 employee in World trade centre, while 2nd employee and his son of  12 yrs., perished on plane that ploughed into Pentagon.  I worked for global firm. Next day. US. firm set up an internal online forum/database for employees to share thoughts. Mostly American employees did the chats.. Our firm issued globally edict to all employees: no business air travel for next few days.

At the time, our building was evacuated at noon. Many people jamming subway stations/trains to get home.

JF Kennedy: I was too young.  I remember R Kennedy but read it in newspaper lst as teen.

Fall of Berlin wall, Tianamen Square massacre in Beijing etc.  in newspaper since I didn't live at home with TV...after work. I participated in a Toronto street group protest re Tianamen Sq.

I somewhat remember Lennon as someone spray painted a tribute on a wall of our HS.  Reagan, don’t remember. Not born yet for Kennedy & too young for the 1st man in the moon. 

Challenger - In the Army & had the day off.  I brought my laundry to the day room & on the TV was the launch count down.  I said hmm, BFD another launch & walked into the laundry room to start my load.  Walked out a few minutes later & several guys were standing by the TV mouths open.  Later that year I was standing in front of the podium as President Reagan gave a speech at the Challenger Memorial in Arlington Cemetery. Somewhere in the annals of history is a picture of me standing in front of Reagan. 

9-11 - I was driving to work & was listening to a CD in the car. My wife called me & told me.  Got to the office & everyone was in the conference room watching the news.  I had numerous clients in downtown LA so drove downtown to find the city evacuated. It was a freaking ghost town.  

Reagan shooting

Challenger Explosion

9/11

OJ  slow chase

Northridge Earthquake (but only because I was living in LA at the time)

Don't really recall the moon landing but I do recall my Dad insisting we drive home from the Catskills (where we  didn't have tv) so we could watch.

16 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Reagan shooting

Challenger Explosion

9/11

OJ  slow chase

Northridge Earthquake (but only because I was living in LA at the time)

Don't really recall the moon landing but I do recall my Dad insisting we drive home from the Catskills (where we  didn't have tv) so we could watch.

Oh the Northridge quake… My daughter was a few months old & woke up hungry. I made a bottle & was sitting on the couch watching the early news when the lights dimmed. I thought WTF caused that then whoa, felt the quake.  I could tell it was a big one so put  my daughter under the coffee table (it was really sturdy) and laid next to her holding the bottle as she drank. 

• Heart 3

Mt Saint Helens- Flying a float plane 

Reagan- drinking beer in the Student Union of UBC

John Lennon- Who cares- stop playing Imagine for gawd sake!

Crash of an air ambulance plane- Lost 5 former colleagues.  I was in Honolulu

Challenger- Watching the launch in the Officers mess in Cold Lake, Alberta

9/11- On a flight between Chicago and NYC. 

When the launch for the first trip to the moon happened, our family was camping.  We all sat in the car, listening to the launch on the radio.  Being on 3 1/2 years old, I was in the front seat between Dad and Mom, who was holding my 4 month old sister.

Being a figidity kid, I pushed in the cigarette lighter and when it popped I pulled it out and stuck my left index finger on the pretty red spot.  I still have the scar/bump on my index finger from that day.  It is quite literally my second earliest memory of my life, preempted only by four months as I remember us picking my mom and the new baby up from the hospital when she and sis came home.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

When the launch for the first trip to the moon happened, our family was camping.  We all sat in the car, listening to the launch on the radio.  Being on 3 1/2 years old, I was in the front seat between Dad and Mom, who was holding my 4 month old sister.

Being a figidity kid, I pushed in the cigarette lighter and when it popped I pulled it out and stuck my left index finger on the pretty red spot.  I still have the scar/bump on my index finger from that day.  It is quite literally my second earliest memory of my life, preempted only by four months as I remember us picking my mom and the new baby up from the hospital when she and sis came home.

OK, that reminds me of a movie scene.. :) 

• Haha 1

Eisenhower's graduation speech at West Point.  (In the crowd)

The Kennedy shooting  (on the way to a basketball game)

The Challenger explosion  (watched it live at home and had it recorded on tape)

Opening night Desert Storm  (Just about all work stopped at Pratt and Whitney where those engines were made.)

9/11  (Watched parts live on the internet.  Left work and went home in time to watch the towers fall)

7 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Wow, that was the school of hard knocks!  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Wow, that was the school of hard knocks!  

Yeah..., except 'school' sort of implies you are learning.  Not so in my case.

A few years ago when I walked into the hospital with a case of pericarditis thinking I was having a heart attack, the doctor asked me on a scale of 1 to 10 what my pain level was.  When I said "3" he asked why I came in.  I literally told him "In my life I have managed to hurt myself in many unique and unusual ways, and this feels different from all of those times."  He smiled, my wife rolled her eyes

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Yeah..., except 'school' sort of implies you are learning.  Not so in my case.

A few years ago when I walked into the hospital with a case of pericarditis thinking I was having a heart attack, the doctor asked me on a scale of 1 to 10 what my pain level was.  When I said "3" he asked why I came in.  I literally told him "In my life I have managed to hurt myself in many unique and unusual ways, and this feels different from all of those times."  He smiled, my wife rolled her eyes

How did your parents miss you playing with a cigarette lighter?  I guess your dad was driving and your mom was pre-occupied with your baby sister. 

14 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

How did your parents miss you playing with a cigarette lighter?  I guess your dad was driving and your mom was pre-occupied with your baby sister. 

We were just sitting at the campsite with the car turned on.  I was (at that time) considered to be 'hyperactive' so I am guessing dad was happy as long as I was not pushing buttons and turning dials on the radio.

14 hours ago, shootingstar said:

so does  anyone remember when you lst got access world wide web....at home?

I think for me it was around  1992 or 1993.

On a modem. The principal at the middle school where I worked directed the staff to take our brand new Gateway computer home for the summer so that we could use it as part of our professional development and planning. 

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

On a modem. The principal at the middle school where I worked directed the staff to take our brand new Gateway computer home for the summer so that we could use it as part of our professional development and planning. 

It was in 1988, I made a business case for a personal computer to hook to the Internet..blue screen DOS feel for fee-based licensed searching on databases. The library was the dept. that led...over the engineers in our group. 

15 hours ago, shootingstar said:

so does  anyone remember when you lst got access world wide web....at home?

I think for me it was around  1992 or 1993.

I was using email at work in the early 90’s. Around the same time I had a non internet connected Laptop for work where I would save the documents to a 3.5 inch floppy and then upload docs at work. Allowed me to work from home & not commute 1-2 days a week.  

My first internet connected home PC was late 90’s’ maybe 2000’ish. 

I don’t recall the JFK assasination at the time as I was too young. I remember watching the lunar landing and all of the Saturn rocket launches. This is not one instance, but I remember the nightly news reports on the Vietnam War. Every night had body counts, us and them, like the sports scores that were shown later. Weird. The Air Florida crash, when the planes couldn’t get altitude and hit the 14th St bridge. The telephone never stopped ringing because my roommate worked downtown. “No, he’s fine. He rides Metro. The trains go under the river. He’ll be fine. Yep, I’ll tell him you called” Reagan getting shot and Al Haig telling everyone that he’s in charge, when he wasn’t. The Challenger disaster I saw while walking through a mall. An electronics store had a wall of TVs facing the mall; all showing the same explosion. Surreal. 9/11 was a weird day because we were in VA Beach auditing a branch. We couldn’t complete the audit as it was too much for the staff as their spouses were getting in planes or on ships to bug out. All bases shut down and ordered contractors off base. We left to drive home around two. One of the auditors couldn’t reach her husband, who was supposed to be at the Pentagon that day. He wasn’t and was fine. But not knowing was scary. The roads, including 95, were pretty empty. 

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Tim Horton is dead?  So who makes all those donuts?

He died around 1974. He was a star NHL defenseman playing for the Buffalo Sabres. I was in the school lunch cafeteria when Billy Summerfelt told everyone. We were in shock. His widow sold it to the surviving partner for $1 million shortly after his death. I believe it’s now owned by the parent company of Burger King. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

I don’t recall the JFK assasination at the time as I was too young. I remember watching the lunar landing and all of the Saturn rocket launches. This is not one instance, but I remember the nightly news reports on the Vietnam War. Every night had body counts, us and them, like the sports scores that were shown later. Weird. The Air Florida crash, when the planes couldn’t get altitude and hit the 14th St bridge. The telephone never stopped ringing because my roommate worked downtown. “No, he’s fine. He rides Metro. The trains go under the river. He’ll be fine. Yep, I’ll tell him you called” Reagan getting shot and Al Haig telling everyone that he’s in charge, when he wasn’t. The Challenger disaster I saw while walking through a mall. An electronics store had a wall of TVs facing the mall; all showing the same explosion. Surreal. 9/11 was a weird day because we were in VA Beach auditing a branch. We couldn’t complete the audit as it was too much for the staff as their spouses were getting in planes or on ships to bug out. All bases shut down and ordered contractors off base. We left to drive home around two. One of the auditors couldn’t reach her husband, who was supposed to be at the Pentagon that day. He wasn’t and was fine. But not knowing was scary. The roads, including 95, were pretty empty. 

Regarding 911.  My FIL lived in Arlington a few blocks from the Pentagon at the time.  He had an early T time at the Army Navy Golf Club that morning so as he was driving west on the 395 he literally saw the plane coming down & the fireball in his rear view mirror.  

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Further said:

President Reagan, coffee machine at Square D

John Lennon, coffee machine at Square D  

9/11, in the basement at the glass plant

Challenger explosion, at the hospital my wife was getting a prenatal check up, a few months later my daughter was born

John Glenn orbiting the earth, in my second grade classroom 

President Reagan, at work

9/11, at work covering support calls, first one in the office

Challenger, at home on a day off

John Glenn, in grade school

President Kennedy, a rainy, chilly Friday afternoon, I was in the sixth grade

• Heart 1