What veggie sides are you serving on Thursday?

petitepedal

Mashed potatoes and gravy

sweet potato casserole, yes the one with marshmallows on top. It is Wo7’s favorites.

green beans is the straight up style

asparagus in the same way.

a small amount of stuffing similar to Jambalaya. I will make a dirty rice with trinity, andouille sausage, and shrimp. Combine with sourdough croutons, butter and shrimp stock. Maybe some mushrooms too. 
Cloverleaf rolls and three small pies, apple, pumpkin, and pecan.

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

Absolutely not Green Bean Casserole...

The sky is the limit.

I've never heard of that type of recipe. Not in my world.

I have no idea since it won't be thxgiving for us up here.  Might be one of the following: asparagus, bok choy or butternut squash. Latter I will stir fry...carmelizes naturally in taste. :D 

...I'm baking a winter squash right now, hoping to warm up the house a little.  It's an orange Kabocha...looks like a small pumpkin.

It will probably end up as pie, but if I go with apple pie, it might end up as a side with the turkey, with pre-boiled chestnuts chopped into it.

Whatever happened to Thanksgiving holiday Jello molds ?  They went from ubiquitous to endangered in the space of a generation or two.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I've never heard of that type of recipe. Not in my world.

My wife grew up with it and the MIL makes it still. Canned French cut green beans slathered in cream of mushroom soup topped with canned fried onions. Open a bunch of cans, mosh it together & bake it, viola vegetables are served. 

Not how I grew up eating vegetables  and probably not you either.

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

My wife grew up with it and the MIL makes it still. Canned French cut green beans slathered in cream of mushroom soup topped with canned fried onions. Open a bunch of cans, mosh it together & bake it, viola vegetables are served. 

...it used to sit there on the holiday table, proudly, right next to the Jello mold.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Page Turner said:

...it used to sit there on the holiday table, proudly, right next to the Jello mold.

I remember the jello molds at my wife’s grand parents.  We may have actually ended up with the molds as my wife inherited a lot of her grandmothers stuff. Probably in the garage storage. 

My MIL makes a jello, fruit & cool whip thing as a dessert. My wife loves it but I could never eat it.  My SIL’s mom has been making that jello dessert for my wife as she grew up with it too. 

15 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

I used to like a plain jello mould. Not stuff inside it.

17 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Canned fried onions???? I have NEVER seen anything like that. Ewwww.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I used to like a plain jello mould. Not stuff inside it.

Canned fried onions???? I have NEVER seen anything like that. Ewwww.

Actually that’s the best part of the dish!  😂 I pick them off the top and eat them separately…

They are breaded & fried then canned. Kinda like an onion potato chip.

1D527C4C-664A-41DE-973D-10B7EC5A2B5E.jpeg.9134517b2de401ebb4d511b5ba768a8f.jpeg

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:
2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Actually that’s the best part of the dish!  😂 I pick them off the top and eat them separately…

When we were eating Keto, I left them out of the casserole and sprinkled crumbled pork rinds with dried minced onion on top. Tasty and no carbs.
Mostly, I make my own mushroom soup with three kinds of mushrooms and a veloute sauce. The finished casserole is amazing. I hope #2 son isn’t disappointed that his will taste different from years past. 

• Heart 2

15 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Nah.. its a lot better. 
It has mandarin oranges, sour cream, coconut, marshmallows and some other things. 

My mom made something like that, too. Food industry marketing gave us many “traditional” dishes from test kitchen recipes published in magazines, printed on the packaging, featured in tv ads. Pumpkin pie from Carnation Evaporated Milk, Jello salads and aspics, marshmallows on sweet potatoes, cranberry jelly in the shape of the can, which was part of its allure on the table. And this Thanksgiving tradition in mr’s home…football and a double batch. 

271F9A5B-61C4-4ABF-8D5A-AD621F7DE935.jpeg

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

My mom made something like that, too. Food industry marketing gave us many “traditional” dishes from test kitchen recipes published in magazines, printed on the packaging, featured in tv ads. Pumpkin pie from Carnation Evaporated Milk, Jello salads and aspics, marshmallows on sweet potatoes, cranberry jelly in the shape of the can, which was part of its allure on the table. And this Thanksgiving tradition in mr’s home…football and a double batch. 

271F9A5B-61C4-4ABF-8D5A-AD621F7DE935.jpeg

My family would melt chocolate and pour it over the top of that mix. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1