WTF?! Perople actually pay $5500 for a French Bulldog?

Ralphie

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Why?

Of course, paying for a dog - beyond the cost to spay/neuter it and make a contribution to a shelter - is insane to me, but you seemed more mainstream than me :scratchhead:  What changed? :scratchhead:

Just seems like runaway popularity to me.  But they are said to develop health issues, so you incur that liability also!  We bought Ruby because we like Boston Terrorists - much better deal at a tenth the cost, although that was 7 years ago from a small time breeder, so I spose it would be a lot more now.

I know people who pay $1,000+ for a dog, then it gets sick, run up a $2,000 bill at the vet, then the dog dies. Seeing a lot of that lately with relatives.

Somebody gave me a dog as a kid. I don't think anybody else's dog was any better. If my dog died, somebody else gave me another one. Paying that much is insane.

My daughter plunked down $1800 for a defective Aussie from a breeder.   I forget the name of the condition but he has a misshaped cornea.  Otherwise he would have been closer to $3K.  You can see it in his left eye.  

98ED84C8-76FD-4EBE-A644-08D22513DF36.thumb.jpeg.af56c7d74dc9cb09cc6bc1c9cf7aca7a.jpeg

We paid about $600 for our Aussie 25 years ago.  We rescued Jack and will go that route with future dogs. 

Check out the classified's some day and look at the prices being ask for some of the crossbred dogs, many of which have little if any science based data for these crosses. A lot of work and data collection went into some of the early crosses, but that is not what you are getting from a lot of the back yard breeders. I'll let you use Google to search out some of the specifics.

Buying dogs can be challenging. We have had Corgis since 1963, but at least one of our recent dogs developed DM (Degenerative myelopathy is a neurologic condition, similar to ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease in people, that causes weakness and poor nerve function in the hind legs. It affects Corgis more frequently than other breeds.) He suffered greatly from this, and we did not want to see this happen to another dog we owned. There is a test to determine if a dog is prone to this or is a carrier. Duke is a carrier, thus he was spayed at a young age. Carriers will not develop the condition. Amazing, how few breeders test their dogs or are very cagy with their answers when asked about the condition. Knowing for sure what is going on will cost you a bit more, but will hopefully preclude watching your dog suffer.

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

My kids had a French Bulldog, don't know what it cost.  6 years in it got some common French Bulldog spine thing and died (it's not like the French are known for strong spines)

Now they have an American Shepherd.  Which is actually a mini Aussie, but apparently Australia PO'd somebody and "Freedom Dog" sounded dumb.

Well bred dogs do have a price.  Genetic testing, prenatal care, eye certification, OFA for hips, microchipping,  etc...  

Unfortunately, many breeders do not do all the work but still charge the price. That sucks.

$5,500 seems high for the new in vogue dog.  They will cost you in vet bills do to their breathing and skin conditions.

As for ongoing vet bills-- we budget enough to cover needs plus keep a slush fund for the unexpected.  Things like chemo are not cheap but sometimes it makes sense.  Other times it does not.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

Do French Bulldogs like to slip you the tongue?

By that standard, most dogs are French!

I have been lucky over the years to find dogs where the owners didn’t witness the act of copulation so they couldn’t paper it or one dog got into another kennel so the pups were “mutts” etc. I’m a mutt so it’s fitting our dogs should be, too! 
We will probably check out rescue dogs when we are ready for another. I want a dog who is a companion not an accessory. 

• Heart 1

45 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Well bred dogs do have a price.  Genetic testing, prenatal care, eye certification, OFA for hips, microchipping,  etc...  

Unfortunately, many breeders do not do all the work but still charge the price. That sucks.

$5,500 seems high for the new in vogue dog.  They will cost you in vet bills do to their breathing and skin conditions.

As for ongoing vet bills-- we budget enough to cover needs plus keep a slush fund for the unexpected.  Things like chemo are not cheap but sometimes it makes sense.  Other times it does not.

Our breeder did a lot of that stuff so I think we got a pretty good deal.  A shame she couldn't keep it up.

I also think it's insane to spend big bucks on a pet unless there's some seriously redeeming quality you need but can't get in a cheaper one.

My brother paid $1500 for Golden Doodle Jake in 2018 and told his wife he paid $500.

They are around $5500 now and I if I wanted a 100 lb, friendly, obedient dog that doesn't shed would consider paying that much.

I get a lot of oohs and ahs about Jake when I walk him, even young teenagers on park swings yelling, "Hey mister, what kind of dog is that?"  I don't have a regular walking schedule or location so, hopefully, no one will plan to lay in wait and kidnap the dog!

If I get a dog it will probably be a beagle.  Some pedigree beagles cost $2000 or more.  I'd be satisfied with a mixed-breed rescue dog that has significant beagle in him.

Beagle - zooplus Magazine

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

Spend your money on whatever makes YOU happy and f#%k everyone else you worked for it.

Some people think what we spend on racing is nuts just like I think what some people spend on going to the Superbowl. For our next race we will have a $1000 spent before a tire touches the track. 

WoJSTL had a cow-orker who was financially broke. She was in an accident from which she received a nice settlement. Instead of paying off all her bills, she got a lot of nice tattoos plus bought some kind of nice oog for a couple of thousand dollars. Then she wasted the rest, well except for buying a new mobile home. She had to give up the oog, the tats look bad, and declare bankruptcy, but for one fleeting moment she was happy.

• Sad 4

17 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

WoJSTL had a cow-orker who was financially broke. She was in an accident from which she received a nice settlement. Instead of paying off all her bills, she got a lot of nice tattoos plus bought some kind of nice oog for a couple of thousand dollars. Then she wasted the rest, well except for buying a new mobile home. She had to give up the oog, the tats look bad, and declare bankruptcy, but for one fleeting moment she was happy.

Sounds like something my brother would do. When I retired at 58 he was 60 and living in his friends basement. 

He blames everything on his divorce 15 years ago and not the drinking and gambling. He now is living with his new girlfriend who is also into drinking and gambling. A match made in heaven. 

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, Longjohn said:

What does chemo for a dog cost? My chemo was $22,000 a treatment. I can’t imagine even rich people paying that for a dog.

I will let you know soon.  We have about $1,100 in diagnostic work at the moment or maybe a little less. I want to be sure that we are making the right decision. 

• Hugs 2

20 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I will let you know soon.  We have about $1,100 in diagnostic work at the moment or maybe a little less. I want to be sure that we are making the right decision. 

It is a tough decision because a dog can’t help you make it. A person can get to the point where they say I’ve had enough. My wife’s chemo messed up her hips and she had to get them both replaced and it gave her neuropathy in her feet.

• Sad 1

If you want specific characteristics in a dog, buying a pure bred dog is the surest way to get them.

Hunting dogs, herding dogs, retrievers...

You might find dog in the kennel that loves to hunt grouse, but it would be a long shot.

If you want a companion, spending some time at the shelter will probably find a dog you get along with.  

We have had the pleasure of living with 7 dogs.

The last 6 were all rescue dogs.   The first dog we paid about $400 for the dog. 

Parker our last dog to find his way to our home, was 12 when he arrived.  He's been living here for almost 2 years now.

There are lots of dogs that need to be saved....

9 hours ago, BR46 said:

Spend your money on whatever makes YOU happy and f#%k everyone else you worked for it.

This ^^^

I love my titanium bike...   I'm sure I'll be paying for maintenance as needed for WoBG's 23 year old car.... she loves her car. 

• Heart 2

I'm with Square Wheels - three of my cats I've had during my adult life were direct rescues of street cats.  The most I spent was the adoption fee for one cat from the local shelter.  I don't want to think of all I've spent on them for prescription foods, surgeries, chemo etc.   But  I also can't total the happiness they've brought into the house.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

All our cats were free.  In total, I suspect they've cost us well over 10 grand. 

Yeah...   I've paid for 4 knees to be repaired on 2 different dogs.   Probably $5K just for that.

We pay for our dogs family member to help them when needed. 

• Hugs 1

10 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Truly amazing what a small world it is!

I remember hearing about LAJ's latest girlfriend, but I didn't think WoJSTL knew her!

• Haha 2