Did your parents ever tell you high school would be the best years of your life?

Wilbur

High school was partially best years for me to explore. Not university because of some mandatory courses and the workload.

I would say the best years for me   was post-graduaton from my mid-20's to just before dearie died for these reasons:  

• freer to pursue personal interests, activities outside of formal studies and I did do that
  • share more experiences with good friends
  • improved relations with family members
  • some money to travel, get home, multiple bikes!
  • expansion on knowledge, skills and experience related to career.:  I have learned  so much due partially to  exposure to wide range of industry areas and people where I worked

Boy, now it sounds like retirement might a bit duller...I better reshape my thinking...

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Parents did not say this. Everyone else did. High school sucked donkey balls. The best four years were after that; 1978-1988. If I knew then, what I know now, they would’ve been hall of fame years. No regrats anyway. 

^^^ Pretty much this. I had a good time those years but it had nothing to do with the school.

• Heart 2

They never told me that, but they did tell me I was wasting my life smoking pot, and would not be the best I could... They didn't know the pot was leveling me out and making me more focused. Hell even my school told me I would not amount to much in life.. fooled them by getting a full ride to college for art, and then I turned it down so I could be a LARGE disappointment for everyone :)

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

No they didn’t tell me that.  My HS years were good.  I was in a tech program I loved.  Most classes were easy and it was sports all year long.  Football started August 1, immediately followed by basketball, then baseball, followed by summer baseball, ending just in time for football.

But my greatest years have all been after that.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My high school made me take classes I didn’t want to take. Wouldn’t let me take the classes I wanted to take. They had an inbred prom, you could only take someone from your school. My girlfriend went to another school. High school was a PITA.

So you were the fonz. I was more of a Pottsy, except I cant sing. :( :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

My parents didn't go to high school. Something about making enough money to eat food and having a place to live, blah, blah blah.

Similar for me. WWII & the subsequent civil war interrupted my moms education, not sure about my dad as he was a late teen & already in the military when the war started.  They could provide no relatable context so offered none other than work hard & get good grades.

My HS experience was fine. I surfed, raced bikes, dated a really good girl and did just enough to graduate. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

44 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

dated a really good girl and did just enough to graduate. 

Same for me, every time I got an A or a B I felt like an over achiever. I always aimed for a C average but you could still graduate with a D average. Some subjects I couldn’t help myself they interested me and next thing I knew I had good grades. Other subjects not so much. Surprisingly my best grades were in math, science and English. I was forced to take chemistry when I didn’t sign up for it. I actually liked the class and got good grades in it. I didn’t go on to become another Dr. Mickin but it was fun.

• Heart 1

No. Of course my father wouldn't know as he never finished high school. He liked being a freshman so much that he did it twice. My mother went to an all female two-year business school to learn typing and secretarial work. I don't think that she enjoyed school all that much.

I didn't enjoy high school all that much. I more enjoyed my part time jobs during those years. I wasn't a good student and didn't apply myself. I graduated right in the middle of the class although my ACT test score was in the top 20. I decided to not go to college as I was too immature and would have just partied away a good opportunity. Plus I want to be an aircraft mechanic so I joined the US Air Force. I started college taking evening and weekend classes when I turned 25 years old and kept at it until I had a Masters Degree.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1