Get Back

Randomguy

I can't wait to watch this. I have heard that it doesn't show the discord i think everyone expected to see from these sessions. 

For a band as popular and successful as the Beatles, to me it's almost unfathomable that this extent of color video footage has been hidden away all these years. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

I am just mildly interested because the White Album was my high point with the Beatles and it was sort of of this era of their career. 

I always knew of the Beatles and had started to really get into them in high school. Hearing the White Album for the first time was pretty unique, in that there were So Many Songs I'd never heard before.

• Awesome 1

6 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

I always knew of the Beatles and had started to really get into them in high school. Hearing the White Album for the first time was pretty unique, in that there were So Many Songs I'd never heard before.

When I was 13 or 14, WOW radio in Omaha would play a Beatles show on Sunday nights. They played the music along with a lot of information about the band. Made me a fan when they really weren’t getting a ton of airplay on stations at the time. Somewhere in the late 80s I shifted more to the Stones camp than the Beatles and my interest in them waned a bit. Get Back has renewed my interest in them again. 

21 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I started watching this with the gf last night, and got a couple hours deep into it.  It is pretty fascinating from a few perspectives. 

Documentaries about the Beatles are generally pretty interesting and tend to follow chronologically, but this one is different.  After a fluff montage intro with all the little chicklets screaming and quick mention of the level of fame achieved, it veers into the story of the latter stage of the band’s existence as they are writing and recording an album in real time to be performed and recorded  in front of an audience. 

The super cool aspect was that it showed how the songs were written and the evolution of them, and how decisions were arrived at in real time, very teamy.  

It felt very contemporary, which was a neat trick, and you saw the depth in personalities of them as they went through things.  They seemed very self-aware and not insulated from the greater world around them, and talked about the band being nearly broken up at this point in a matter of fact way.  

Lots of “found footage” that was unique from my vantage point, really cool stuff.  

I won’t say much more, other than it seems a must-watch if you want more than the same old touch points and the normal superficial rundown of the lifetime of the band.  Pretty cool so far. 

I saw a vid of the guy the director that was given the filmage. The Lord of the Rings guy. He basically used a bunch of reconstruction techniques because they didn’t all have the same footage. Thanks for posting. I think I will check it out. 

43 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I am surprised they got so much done having Yoko staring everyone down.  

About 2/3 of the way through Pt1 she loosened up. Suddenly John is being John instead of a lump and Yoko and Linda appear to be having a casual conversation. The whole mood changed. 

22 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I started watching this with the gf last night, and got a couple hours deep into it.  It is pretty fascinating from a few perspectives. 

Documentaries about the Beatles are generally pretty interesting and tend to follow chronologically, but this one is different.  After a fluff montage intro with all the little chicklets screaming and quick mention of the level of fame achieved, it veers into the story of the latter stage of the band’s existence as they are writing and recording an album in real time to be performed and recorded  in front of an audience. 

The super cool aspect was that it showed how the songs were written and the evolution of them, and how decisions were arrived at in real time, very teamy.  

It felt very contemporary, which was a neat trick, and you saw the depth in personalities of them as they went through things.  They seemed very self-aware and not insulated from the greater world around them, and talked about the band being nearly broken up at this point in a matter of fact way.  

Lots of “found footage” that was unique from my vantage point, really cool stuff.  

I won’t say much more, other than it seems a must-watch if you want more than the same old touch points and the normal superficial rundown of the lifetime of the band.  Pretty cool so far. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

We got into Part 1 last night. Hearing Paul calling out chords, teaching the others new songs, was really cool. The last 15 minutes we saw were pretty dull though.

Yoko's presence is really strange - sitting there reading the paper or sorting through the mail. At times she and John are really ignoring each other. So far it seems like the others are having no trouble ignoring her either. 

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

We got into Part 1 last night. Hearing Paul calling out chords, teaching the others new songs, was really cool. The last 15 minutes we saw were pretty dull though.

Yoko's presence is really strange - sitting there reading the paper or sorting through the mail. At times she and John are really ignoring each other. So far it seems like the others are having no trouble ignoring her either. 

I will have to rewatch, but around the time they let Yoko “sing” with them for a bit, everything loosened up. She started chair dancing to their songs and John began being John again. Her presence is still felt all the way through PT2, but not with near the weight it was at the beginning of the film 

4 hours ago, groupw said:

I watched Pt3 last night.

I am still stuck on part 1, at least until the gf comes over again.  We are watching it together, you see.

I did try and make RO watch some of it over the weekend, and I played it while she was taking baths so she would be listening in a bit.  We then talked about who was still alive, and I took her to the Dakota and explained what happened.  Next time, we will go to Strawberry Fields once I prep her a bit about the song and the place.

• Heart 1

Two things about episode 3: 

-Ringo speaks only a handful of times throughout, but when he says he wants to play on the roof, it’s an electric moment. 
-There are cutaways to people on the street. One in particular still makes me laugh. It’s two older women, and Monty Python could have written and costumed their bit. 

• Heart 2

55 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

me too... I'd say it's the best thing I've seen on television this year.  I generally don't think of TV programming as a "gift" but that's pretty much what this feels like.

Just saw this tweet and thought I'd share because it is pretty cool and damn funny at the same time:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Was Paul jealous of George or something?  

I think John was supposedly jealous of George's stuff when John was all smacked up on heroin.  At least that is what somebody or other said on reddit at some point.  Anyway, I think if I could write songs like "Don't Let Me Down", for instance, while all gooped up on heroin, I don't know that I would be all that concerned with other people's songs.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 7:42 PM, Philander Seabury said:

Was Paul jealous of George or something?  

I’m only just starting Part 2, but Paul seemed annoyed with everyone for most of Part 1. Mostly John, but then got very bossy with George about what he was playing. That George retorted “Get Eric Clapton” suggests to me some lingering animus from the White Album when EC played the solo, instead of George, on his “While my guitar gently weeps”.