Omicron

BuffJim

56 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

How long a 14 day lockdown do we need to make it go away? 

Based on what we have seen...  an  number of lockdowns won't help.    This virus is never going away.   It will just continue to mutate and spread forever. 

Unvaccinated and vaccinated people can spread the covid virus.   Just like people who do (or don't) get the flu vaccine can spread that virus (and that mutates every year) too. 

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Based on what we have seen...  an  number of lockdowns won't help.    This virus is never going away.   It will just continue to mutate and spread forever. 

Unvaccinated and vaccinated people can spread the covid virus.   Just like people who do (or don't) get the flu vaccine can spread that virus (and that mutates every year) too. 

Yeah, it was just a comment on the wrong approaches taken so far. ;) 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If you could be king of the world, what would the right approach be (keeping it P&R safe of course) ? I've read just a bit on the 1918 pandemic and sure wouldn't want to experience that ... but maybe we should?

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Palesaint said:

If you could be king of the world, what would the right approach be (keeping it P&R safe of course) ? I've read just a bit on the 1918 pandemic and sure wouldn't want to experience that ... but maybe we should?

De-politicize the response to it, including the reaction to the effect on the population. Avoid pointing the fingers of blame and make a global attempt to develop treatment then vaccines.  Then accept the facts of the severity and prepare the public to expect the worst while making global efforts to stem the effect while treatments gradually improve outcomes.  Locking down helped the medical systems cope but it seems more than anything as though it created significant  psychological issues bordering on mass paranoia.  Not to mention the longer term effects on the nations finances.  The political objectives have been stated by many government and business heads so we will see how that plays out. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

more than anything as though it created significant  psychological issues bordering on mass paranoia

I have a friend who wants to know if a diagnosis of significant psychological issues bordering on mass paranoia, made years before covid, can be retroactively blamed on the Omicron variant. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

We've never had a full lockdown.  Meh is the word.

We do stupid things like denying entrance to any non citizen from South Africa........as if we can pretend citizens don't carry it.

Meanwhile, Israel has closed the countries borders.

17 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Has taken 2 days to spread across the globe. I saw an English news report that it is 500% more contagious than Delta. Panic time. :runcirclsmiley:

Death Jim approves of this message. 

It looks like it's spreading fast.  I hope the current vaccines work enough to keep almost all vaxxers out of the hospital if we catch it.

I worry about my nephew Ryan, who has been flying multiple flights every day lately due to Thanksgiving travelers as an airline attendant for United, American, and Mesa Airlines (Mesa subcontracts with the other two).  At least he's young (21 on Dec. 28th) and has had two Pfizer shots.

The BBC reported today that two airline flights that arrived in Amsterdam from South Africa had 13 positive tests for Omicron:

The new coronavirus variant Omicron has been detected in 13 people who arrived in the Dutch capital Amsterdam on two flights from South Africa.

They are among 61 passengers who tested positive for coronavirus.

• Heart 1

Being a Chemist, I've had to know and use Greek letters in chemical names and in calculus formulas, but I couldn't remember how you pronounced "Omicron."

I've heard people use a long-O as well as a short-O.  I looked it up and it's the short-O that's correct:

Ah-muh-krahn

You can bet you'll hear both "Oh..." and "Ah..." on the news, just like the actors/directors on sci-fi shows don't pay attention and you end up with Data from Stat Trek, the geniuses on Scorpion, etc. mispronouncing scientific terms, Greek letters, etc.  Sometimes that almost breaks, for me, the "suspension of disbelief" needed to enjoy fictional shows.  For example, Doc on Back to the Future should NEVER have said, as he did, "jig-a-watt" when every scientist knows it's "gig-a-watt" with hard g's.

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

De-politicize the response to it, including the reaction to the effect on the population. Avoid pointing the fingers of blame and make a global attempt to develop treatment then vaccines.  Then accept the facts of the severity and prepare the public to expect the worst while making global efforts to stem the effect while treatments gradually improve outcomes.  Locking down helped the medical systems cope but it seems more than anything as though it created significant  psychological issues bordering on mass paranoia.  Not to mention the longer term effects on the nations finances.  The political objectives have been stated by many government and business heads so we will see how that plays out. 

It seemed to create the most paranoia in the antivax crowd, or at least expose the resident paranoia already festering within them.  They were hysterical before, but wow. 

3 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

And we leave ours wide open, with no testing.

What do you mean?

If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status) before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.

Land crossing doesn’t currently require a test but requires documentation of full vaccination status. 

Have a (re)planned trip to London & Paris December & January. The UK (England) has added a quarantine requirement to the test on or before 2 day test. The quarantine portion is new. We leave 2 weeks from today. We are fine with the 2 day test. Still waiting on the passenger transiting at the airport. We are using Eurostar to return to London from Paris the day before. Under 14 hours in country. Old rules said we fell under the transiting passenger rules. 

Big decisions coming soon

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Have a (re)planned trip to London & Paris December & January. The UK (England) has added a quarantine requirement to the test on or before 2 day test. The quarantine portion is new. We leave 2 weeks from today. We are fine with the 2 day test. Still waiting on the passenger transiting at the airport. We are using Eurostar to return to London from Paris the day before. Under 14 hours in country. Old rules said we fell under the transiting passenger rules. 

Big decisions coming soon

These decisions aren’t easy. My next two trips involve flights, and holding off before booking anything. 

17 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I'm flying on Friday, but with vaccination proof I don't need to test. But I have Aruba booked for end of January, rethinking that trip.

I fly domestically on the 12th, and haven't seen any requirements - testing or vax - for domestic travel.  Not sure what to expect, but assume just masks on flights?  I think, at least with Aruba, you will 1) be vax required going, and 2) negative test required returning (perhaps going too), so the safety margin is greater.  

My biggest worry when traveling out of the US was the return test.  Getting "stuck" out of country until a negative test(s) could be a real PITA and even expensive.  I'm not sure, too, if my work has separate COVID sickness leave requirements or not.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I fly domestically on the 12th, and haven't seen any requirements - testing or vax - for domestic travel.  Not sure what to expect, but assume just masks on flights?

Yeah, masks in airports and on flights. My destination has vaccination/test or quarantine options, but upon return there will be none.

Aruba, you will 1) be vax required going, and 2) negative test required returning (perhaps going too), so the safety margin is greater.

Idk the requirements Aruba has coming in, I assume they want tourists and will accept any vaccinated travelers, but that’s probably subject to change over time. 

My biggest worry when traveling out of the US was the return test.  Getting "stuck" out of country until a negative test(s) could be a real PITA and even expensive.

I will bet Aruba will have expedited testing for departing guests. I know they did for arrivals last year, before vaccinations, so your quarantine  there could be less than a day. But yeah, it’s a PITA that could be avoided going domestically, so I am rethinking it.

I also don’t know if my work offers any Covid-related PTO anymore.