Are you an old man?

Zephyr

I am not old(I think I am on the younger side of the demographics here), however I am old for my job and it gets pointed out to me often. 

I keep waiting to get my 'Old Man Strength' but it has not come yet.  This test apparently let's you know if you are 'physically old' and they call it an 'old man test'.  As we are often getting dressed in wet conditions, putting a sock and shoe on without putting the foot down is common practice for me so it was not as hard as maybe it should have been

I used to do that unconsciously, tie my shoe in the air while standing on one foot....that was 25 yrs. ago. Dearie was amazed when he saw it.

13 Standing Yoga Poses to Improve Your Balance | Livestrong.com   10 looks like a good start for anyone, other than the tree pose.

See this. Very interesting:  The ability to balance on one leg for 20 seconds is a sign of a healthy brain — Quartz (qz.com)   So let's practice...for our brain too.

Excerpt:

image.thumb.png.5f4cb56a82a4e4d4f125c559bcb0fa5d.png

• Heart 1

I’m an old man but I can pretty much do this. I never tried after putting one sock on and putting the shoe on. I always do sock sock shoe shoe. When I first came back to work after I broke my hip I had to sit down to put my pants, socks and shoes on. There was no bench in the locker room so I brought in a new plastic 5 gallon bucket to sit on. I think it took me about a month before I didn’t need the bucket. I was working that leg every day in the therapy pool at the aquatics center to get my flexibility back. It took a whole year to get it back 100% but one month to be able to get dressed standing on one foot.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I can pass the test with my right leg, but not my left.  Whenever I stand on the left leg and raise right up I begin to lose my balance.  The slightest balancing touch against something though and I can do the left leg thing too.

And yes, I am an old man.

Same here. Right leg, easy peasy. Left leg I can do, but it’s with difficulty. Been that way for a long time, close to 20 years. I know it’s fixable with stretching and yoga poses but I haven’t figured out the cause yet. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

I’m half old. I can do my left leg, but not the right. It seems like something I could improve if I work at it. 

43 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Same here. Right leg, easy peasy. Left leg I can do, but it’s with difficulty. Been that way for a long time, close to 20 years. I know it’s fixable with stretching and yoga poses but I haven’t figured out the cause yet. 

Like I posted it's probably because you've done it the same way for so long that it's become a muscle memory move.  Try operating your mouse with the left hand for a while and see how hard it is.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Try operating your mouse with the left hand

I don’t have a mouse. Laptop with track pad and cell phone.

I did switch to doing a lot with the left hand while my right was in a cast recently, though. So, I get where you’re coming from. 

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I'm just glad that we have the internet where you can go to be categorized, discouraged and depressed about being a member of the "older" generation.

The old days of reverence and concern for the aged and infirmed really sucked.  

Thanks, internet.  

OK Boomer.   :foryou:

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...dominant leg has always been a 'thing" in sports and kinesiology. Mine changed when I lunched my right knee, and had to relearn some things. 

http://kinesophics.ca/dominant_leg_0/

https://spartascience.com/what-is-your-dominant-leg/

I am not as old as a feel sometimes, but I am pretty fucking old. :mellow:

In Surfing too.  Everyone has a natural stance & reversing it just feels wrong. 

• Heart 1

As long as I still carry these weapons, no! 

Though some young 23, 24 year old punk thought so. (?) Gina and I were riding our bikes when we passed this guy on a bike. He didn't like it so he reached over, leaned into me, then shoved me. I yelled at his dumb ass then he stopped and pulled a knife. Go ahead mother F'er, stab me right here in front of everybody. He didn't, ended up putting his knife back in his pocket. 

Ended up arguing then my final words were, don't ever put your F'ing hands on me. Out of sarcasm, I don't know what he was thinking, he put his hand on my left shoulder and positioned himself as if to shove me again. 

Being closer to my left side, I shot out a short stiff left jab with my left fist and caught him on the jaw and dropped him to the ground.  He fell then got back up then tried to punch me with a round house punch. Text book block raising my left elbow, I think it hurt his arm more than anything as my elbow sunk into his forearm. I pretty much laughed thinking, you can't hit me, you're in trouble! 

He stepped toward me throwing a round house kick that landed on my hip, didn't feel a thing but I said, oh so you want to kick, eh! I took a step toward him as if to throw another punch but threw a mean stiff kick into his inner thigh. I felt my toes sink deep then he stepped back and winced in pain. He stepped back and at this point, my temper started to flare so I went full attack stance, took a step toward him throwing 2 quick left jabs to measure the distance between us. I took another step to close the gap hoping to set him up for my right hand but he backed away and started whining like a little baby about how I was abusing him. Luckily a guy came up and stood between us so I couldn't get to him. Wasn't going to hurt a guy trying to help so I let him slide.

He was whining like a little beotch about how I attacked him. I let him whine like the baby he was and walked away laughing.  The guy was crying to the good semaritan about getting attacked. Strangely enough, Gina who usually never says anything, told the third guy, "he pulled a knife on my husband, he got what he deserved!".

Could have been racially motivated as well seeing I was darker than that skin head looking MOFO! :party:

Almost 59 but as long as I got these and know how to use them, I am not an old man! :lol:

Capture12.JPG