I bought a used book today from England

maddmaxx

One real advantage of the internet is making used books more widely available.  I recall finding some of my Mom's childhood favorites for her that have long been out of print, and that never would have shown up at a local bookstore.

Congrats on your find! 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

One real advantage of the internet is making used books more widely available.  I recall finding some of my Mom's childhood favorites for her that have long been out of print, and that never would have shown up at a local bookstore.

Congrats on your find! 

It's slightly more difficult in that I can no longer read the small print in a "mass market paperback" which is a very common format for some of these books.  Of course almost none of them are available in Kindle form.  

Many old science fiction books I've been able to find in PDF format from places like Baen Free book library.

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, donkpow said:

That's the battle but the book I'm looking for was written from the perspective on one particular tank crew.  One line I remember from the book was about the "honey" (british name for the Stewart) tank being so lightly armored that unless you got in the way, a German shot was just as likely to pass clean through the tank as not.  I owned a copy and read it sometime in the middle to latter 70's.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

That's the battle but the book I'm looking for was written from the perspective on one particular tank crew.  One line I remember from the book was about the "honey" (british name for the Stewart) tank being so lightly armored that unless you got in the way, a German shot was just as likely to pass clean through the tank as not.  I owned a copy and read it sometime in the middle to latter 70's.

Our public library has a research department. Technically, it's not a "research department" but I can't think of what it is called. You can contact them with any and all information you have and get them to find the book for you. That's the kind of thing they do. 

13 hours ago, Kirby said:

Congrats on your find! 

I remember going to a used book store

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Cunningham, Rawnsley and Wright.

Thanks!  When I was a kid, I loved going the school library to check out the WWII (and WWI) air and naval battle books.  This is likely far different than those kids books, but I really enjoyed them.

Once the day fighters had saved Britain from invasion, it fell to the night fighters to save her cities from destruction. At the beginning, interception by night proved virtually impossible, particularly, as the German bombers carried out their raids in cloudy weather. Soon, however, the navigator was presented with a mysterious little black box, which turned out to be the parent of airborne radar and the key to aerial tactics. This made a major contribution to the war in the skies, first protecting the British cities from the incessant raids of 1940 and later enabling the bombers to carry out their vital operations over Germany. 'Jimmy' Rawnsley, crewed with gunner 'Cats-eyes' Cunningham were among the first to use this new technology when it was introduced to the Blenheim they were flying and went on to become one of the RAF's leading night fighter crews, destroying over 20 enemy aircraft.

18 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

The title is "Night Fighter" and it's the story of John Cunningham (wilbur you may know of him in the aviation world) and his navigator/radar operator/gunner CF Rawnsley who flew with the first dedicated night fighter aircraft in WWII.  The book was last published in 1956 and I have been unable to purchase a new copy while searching for years.  I read it the first time way back then and I've had a urge to read it again.  That's the problem with old war biographies, they aren't often popular enough to get a second printing and after a while you simply can't get one.  A new version for sale in England is well over $500.  I feel fortunate to have obtained a "good" condition used edition for $13.

That leaves one book that I lust after, a bio of a British Stewart tank crew in operation Crusader in North Africa.  There's a problem there.  I don't remember the title.

I'm seeing that book on Amazon. I'm tempted to buy a copy.

I just bought a new book on the C-9A Nightingale aircraft. I worked on the model for about 6 years. 

• Heart 1