RG and I would appreciate a comprehensive analysis of the success of Bonanza vs Big Valley

AirwickWithCheese
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

Our family watched Bonanza.   The Big Valley... not so much.  

I found this...   

“Bonanza” vs. “The Big Valley”

Which series is better to watch as reruns decades later?

Let's assess.

"Bonanza" had a winning theme song.

"The Big Valley" had Barbara Stanwyck.

Sometimes a little bit of Little Joe went a long way.

Nick Barkley's hot temper could get old.

"Bonanza" sometimes did comedy pretty well.

"The Big Valley" had Linda Evans. (Which could be considered a pro or a con.)

"Bonanza" had Dan Blocker, who played a character with the best name in TV Westerns.

The Virginia City in "Bonanza" was home to slightly more nut jobs than Stockton in "The Big Valley."

Both shows invited you to root for a powerful, rich family.

The life expectancy of young women who got engaged to boys from either the Cartwright or Barkley families tended to be alarmingly short.

Silas was not as ridiculous as Hop Sing.

After watching "Deadwood," they both seem a bit like "Teletubbies."

• Heart 3

Although the TV show was supposedly set in the Stockton area, filming took place in southern parts of the state. I've never run across sites or memorabilia collections in the Stockton area to visit.

Supposedly the TV show was loosely based on the Hill Ranch, east of Stockton. That location today sits underneath the waters of Lake Camanche but there is a historical marker nearby. But I have never seen any valid source confirming that the show was based on the Hill Ranch, all I have seen is that story repeated on the internet but with no evidence to support the connection.

^^^about The Big Valley.

Lake Tahoe Ranch That Served as Ponderosa on ‘Bonanza’ Sells for a Record $38M

You can’t help but wonder what Hoss and Little Joe would say about the sale of the site of TV’s fictional Ponderosa Ranch for $38 million. It set the record for the highest-priced waterfront residential sale on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe.

Now known as Sierra Sunset, the 24-acre property in Zephyr Cove was used as backdrop for the popular TV series “Bonanza,” which aired from 1959 to 1973. You may remember the family riding horseback on the pine-forested property along the shores of the massive freshwater lake.

^^^about Bonanza.

So the answer to your question is location.  It's better to be on the lake shore than under the lake.

• Thank You 1