Swallow?

Wilbur

While we are talking about saddles. I read some reviews on another site and thought  it was impossible when they mentioned the Spoon Charge saddle back then for $20. I thought no way possible and even argued about it myself.

I always enjoyed the Terry Fly Men's saddle. $60 back in 2005, $70 in 2010, $80 in 2014. Now it is up to $160 and I refuse to pay. :angry:

They mentioned this one and I said no way. Then I tried it out last year, bought one for $24. LOVED IT! A little hard at first but a great shape and fit to my bones. Loved it so much, I ordered a second one 2 weeks later for $26. Then I ordered a third 2 weeks after that for $28. Good thing I only have 3 bikes of my own. :lol:

They are up a bit now but still a great saddle. The more I ride it, the better it feels.  Pretty happy I took my chance with this one!

Capture33.JPG

11 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

While we are talking about saddles. I read some reviews on another site and thought  it was impossible when they mentioned the Spoon Charge saddle back then for $20. I thought no way possible and even argued about it myself.

I always enjoyed the Terry Fly Men's saddle. $60 back in 2005, $70 in 2010, $80 in 2014. Now it is up to $160 and I refuse to pay. :angry:

They mentioned this one and I said no way. Then I tried it out last year, bought one for $24. LOVED IT! A little hard at first but a great shape and fit to my bones. Loved it so much, I ordered a second one 2 weeks later for $26. Then I ordered a third 2 weeks after that for $28. Good thing I only have 3 bikes of my own. :lol:

They are up a bit now but still a great saddle. The more I ride it, the better it feels.  Pretty happy I took my chance with this one!

Capture33.JPG

The Charge Spoon is very similar in shape to the Fizik Aliante saddle which is a very popular shape that works for a lot of people.

I have both and the Charge did start creaking over time.  A dab of grease where the rails join the bottom frame solves it but my Fizik never creaked.  But the Charge is also $100 less…

I’m actually having a saddle dilemma. I have a freebie WTB MTB saddle on my Ritchey that is actually working for me.  I’m looking at a Fizik Aliante but really don’t want to spend $130 for it.  

I am concerned that as I increase miles for the century I might need a more road specific saddle.  But I really am not having any issues with the WTB up to 40 miles…. Hmm what to do.

• Heart 1

Ok, honest question here... Why the hell would anybody buy an incredibly expensive, hard as hell, weighs as much as the space shuttle, super uncomfortable saddle?  I get swayed by sentiment and a harkening for old-timey bikeyness as much as the next guy, but never for an inordinate amount of cash like that.  It just seems odd is all.

30 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m actually having a saddle dilemma. I have a freebie WTB MTB saddle on my Ritchey that is actually working for me.  I’m looking at a Fizik Aliante but really don’t want to spend $130 for it.  

I am concerned that as I increase miles for the century I might need a more road specific saddle.  But I really am not having any issues with the WTB up to 40 miles…. Hmm what to do.

I ride a WTB saddle and it's worked for me for about 20 years.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

The Charge Spoon is very similar in shape to the Fizik Aliante saddle which is a very popular shape that works for a lot of people.

I have both and the Charge did start creaking over time.  A dab of grease where the rails join the bottom frame solves it but my Fizik never creaked.  But the Charge is also $100 less…

I have 3 of them, one with 2k and the other with 3k, the third only 200 or so. Not sure if one creaked or not. Couldn't figure out if it was the rails, the clamp, or the seat post/frame connection. I lubed everything and it went away.

• Heart 1

As a rider. A bike shop employee, etc. I am a fan of Specialized Body Geometry saddles. I’ve crushed a Brooks saddle and rode the hell out of a Romin Pro for t2 years and still going strong. When I need a new saddle, I will buy the same. Rides as good today as 12 years ago. 

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, honest question here... Why the hell would anybody buy an incredibly expensive, hard as hell, weighs as much as the space shuttle, super uncomfortable saddle?  I get swayed by sentiment and a harkening for old-timey bikeyness as much as the next guy, but never for an inordinate amount of cash like that.  It just seems odd is all.

It looks better on a steel frame, especially if your are having a custom steel frame made.  The Swallow pictured is a titanium frame and a smaller saddle so weight isn't an issue. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

As a rider. A bike shop employee, etc. I am a fan of Specialized Body Geometry saddles. I’ve crushed a Brooks saddle and rode the hell out of a Romin Pro for t2 years and still going strong. When I need a new saddle, I will buy the same. Rides as good today as 12 years ago. 

Gina uses the Specialized Lady Dulce (?) with titanium rails. She used one for about a 6 months to a year (?), and even though all the talk about ti this and that, her seat rail broke. I was shocked but the shop replaced it no questions.

I am a lot heavier and ride cheap cromo and have never broke a rail at my weight. I'm guessing good and bad in most products so I go for fit nowadays.