Please rank the salad greens in order of best to worst

jsharr
Go to solution Solved by Razors Edge,

11 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I do not care for iceberg lettuce. Iceberg lettuce is the red delicious of the lettuce family. No flavor, little nutritious value. Romaine is my favorite but I like Bibb, butter, curly leaf, and uppity varieties like arugula and Swiss Chard. 

I second the butter lettuce & Romain.  We get iceberg for wraps as the shape works well, not so much for salads. 

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I do not care for iceberg lettuce. Iceberg lettuce is the red delicious of the lettuce family. No flavor, little nutritious value. Romaine is my favorite but I like Bibb, butter, curly leaf, and uppity varieties like arugula and Swiss Chard. 

This.  Final answer.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

27 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Isn't romaine that crap with the giant bitter white part down the middle of each leaf?  Bitterness is a deal breaker.  Maybe they should water romaine with pineapple juice?

12 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Isn't romaine that crap with the giant bitter white part down the middle of each leaf?  Bitterness is a deal breaker.  Maybe they should water romaine with pineapple juice?

Are you channeling @Randomguy? That sounds like one of his rants. That’s not bitterness, them are flavor molecules. Appreciate the opportunity to try something other than a Mountain Dew or Dr Pepper on your plate. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

My big salads, which I eat every other day, are 50% Kale, 50% iceberg lettuce mix (lettuce, carrots, red cabbage).

I am trying to do a salad every day for lunch and add in more colorful veggies with meals instead of just meat and potatoes.

Today I skipped the meat in my salad and just had a mix of romaine and spring mix, with carrots, pumpkin seeds, a bit of shredded cheddar cheese and italian dressing.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Old No. 7 said:

I do not care for iceberg lettuce.

It is the red delicious of the lettuces, but it adds crunch and is exactly right in certain situations, like tacos (normal tacos, that is, not that open-face mini-burrito that is often passed off as a taco by people pretending they are from another country).  Man, now I feel like eating some iceberg lettuce!

• Hugs 1

21 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I am trying to do a salad every day for lunch and add in more colorful veggies with meals instead of just meat and potatoes.

Today I skipped the meat in my salad and just had a mix of romaine and spring mix, with carrots, pumpkin seeds, a bit of shredded cheddar cheese and italian dressing.

Toss some anchovies into your salad and have some flavor.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Romaine is king, but RG is right that iceberg has its place. One of the salad world’s best kept secrets is fresh garden iceberg. It is perfect!  It really demonstrates how fitting the iceberg name is, it is so crisp and crunchy. But even the store stuff is great as a wedge or mixed with others. Spring mix can be awesome, and arugula is good too!  Radicchio is awesome, and what ever happened to Belgian endive?!  Curly endive is very cool too!  
Ok, these weren’t really in order. Oh well!

Ones from the garden are Bibb and red romaine and red sails too!  Green leaf is nice. Mm, lettuce season is on the way!  Yay!

I want to be the Bubba of lettuce. :D

• Heart 2

1. Iceberg lettuce is supposedly very low in nutrition, but it gives a nice crunch while being soft.

2. Onions or Shallots

3. Tomatoes

4. Red or Green Bell Peppers

5. Shredded Cheddar or Feta Cheese

6. Whatever else is in the fridge: olives, cucumbers, etc.

On 11/29/2021 at 5:51 PM, jsharr said:

:scratchhead:

• Sad 1

I basically only do Romain hearts from Aldi. Iceberg is ok but it doesn’t keep well after you cut it. Tonight I had a salad of one whole Romain heart, one whole small Vidalia onion, a few hot peppers I pickled (not reapers) a handful of walnuts, and a handful of fresh cranberries. Topped it off with a whole can of tuna (dumped the juice off it in Oreos dish and he lapped it up). A little bit of French dressing.

I had more ingredients in the fridge but I was trying to keep it simple.

6 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I basically only do Romain hearts from Aldi. Iceberg is ok but it doesn’t keep well after you cut it. Tonight I had a salad of one whole Romain heart, one whole small Vidalia onion, a few hot peppers I pickled (not reapers) a handful of walnuts, and a handful of fresh cranberries. Topped it off with a whole can of tuna (dumped the juice off it in Oreos dish and he lapped it up). A little bit of French dressing.

I had more ingredients in the fridge but I was trying to keep it simple.

I never cut iceberg, I peel it leaf by leaf so it doesn’t brown so fast.  Although we very seldom use it since neither of us usually buys it.