Getting critiqued

Dirtyhip

My riding has been getting analyzed and tips have been provided to help me get faster and smoother on the dirt jump bike.  The last two weekends I have gotten some tips from the boys.  

It is a tad demoralizing when your spouse critiques you.  It makes me feel self conscious.    :mellow:

Meanwhile, I am the only woman, that rides our track, that can truly pump it.  Most of the girls pedal around it and don't pump all the way around and gain speed from the pumps.    

The boys don't seem to say much to those other girls about their riding.  I get raked over the coals though.  

• Heart 1

My riding has been getting analyzed and tips have been provided to help me get faster and smoother on the dirt jump bike.  The last two weekends I have gotten some tips from the boys.  

It is a tad demoralizing when your spouse critiques you.  It makes me feel self conscious.    :mellow:

Meanwhile, I am the only woman, that rides our track, that can truly pump it.  Most of the girls pedal around it and don't pump all the way around and gain speed from the pumps.    

The boys don't seem to say much to those other girls about their riding.  I get raked over the coals though.  

I'd consider being the only girl that got the critique a badge of honor. My guess, from your description, is that the other girls aren't really that serious and the guys know it so they aren't going to worry about trying to demoralize the girls that really, honestly don't care about doing it right. In you they see the fire of an athlete and know you want to improve so are helping to that end.

I learned decades ago that WoKzoo will accept constructive criticism from just about anyone except me.  I'm good with that and both of our lives got better when I figured that out.  What we don't discuss is the fact that she can't take criticism from me.  That right there would fall into the former category.

If K knows of what he speaks, listen.

If they are critiquing and offering advice, it means they think you 1) can improve and 2) want to improve.

It may seem odd, but really is a complimet to you.

It's like me at the archery range....if I see someone who I think is really trying and wants to improve, I'll give them a bit of help.  Otherwise, if they are just there screwing around....they're on their own.

If K knows of what he speaks, listen.

I do try and I try not to get angry about it.  However, the last two weeks were filled with instruction.  I grew tired of it last night a bit.  

K is one of the best riders at the track.  I do take the tips seriously.  They are just very hard to accept all the time.

You guys are probably right.  It's hard on the ego though.  I get told about everything I am doing wrong.

I agree with the others - they see your potential.

However don't try to make all their suggested changes all at once. You could screw up the things that you are doing correctly now. Plus there's the real possibility that their suggestions are wrong for you. Try one or two changes at a time. Either go for the low hanging fruit where the changes would be easy to incorporate. Next focus on areas where you know you struggle and work them.

The above is often true in many things besides cycling.

All of the above.

The "guys" wouldn't tell you these things if you weren't out there doing your best and striving to improve.

We all understand the "advice overload" tho. Yeah...it can get old, but Jerry (not dead jerry) has a good thought on that.