Are Cat Owners Sociopaths?

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Randomguy,

• Solution
5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...or just psychopaths?

@Randomguy, got a ruling on this one?

There is a whole book written about cat owners, it is called the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, sometimes call the DSM-5 and also the "Cat person's book of Demonology".  If you have a cat, it is all applicable.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, donkpow said:

This whole "ownership" issue has me disturbed. You don't "own" an animal. You could be their "parent". A pseudo parent. That's okay. You don't own children, do you?

Well, if you can "sell" them, you must be able to "buy" them, and therefore "own" them???  Works for dogs, cats, or kids.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, if you can "sell" them, you must be able to "buy" them, and therefore "own" them???  Works for dogs, cats, or kids.

Except most of my cats have just shown up and decided to stay.

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I can see why RO questions how you are qualified for parenting. :D

Just teaching her to discern bull from what is real.  All parents should continually teach and reinforce objective reality being far better than just talking out your ass and it being accepted without questioning it from all angles. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Just teaching her to discern bull from what is real.  All parents should continually teach and reinforce objective reality being far better than just talking out your ass and it being accepted without questioning it from all angles. 

How is she doing with Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny?

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How is she doing with Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny?

When she asks me, I ask her to tell me what the evidence says.   

The tooth fairy never comes at dad's place because she hasn't lost teeth here, so that hasn't been an issue. 

I have told her already that religion is just made up myths based on reused made up myths, and that pagan celebrations were coopted by newer or recently introduced religions to allow a smoother transition for the first few generations to come over.  I let her know that easter is based on pagan springtime and fertility celebrations and all that, and that everything else is tacked onto the end of that.  

When she has previously asked about Santa, I said that many kids believe in that, then I ask just how many kids there are in Brooklyn, and ask how it might be possible to get to all those households with presents in one night.  Then I ask how is there time to still go to other neighborhoods, then the whole city, then more cities in the state, then cities in the next state over, then the next, then the next until all cities in all states are visited, then all cities in Canada, Mexico, and all the countries around the world, and ask if that is possible, then leave it at that.  I also let her know that Santa doesn't visit me, although she says I would for sure be on the 'nice' list.

I won't lie to her at all, so if she learns to drill down with interrogation techniques or basic discovery questions, she will be sure really quickly what is up.  Truth is better than lies, always.