Why many people can’t find mile marker 0

Longjohn

On the C&O canal. Many people ride from Pittsburgh, Pa all the way to Georgetown only to give up on finding the end of the canal because it is so confusing. To spend a week on a bike only to end you week a few miles early is discouraging.

when we did Petite’s Big Adventure we had to backtrack a couple times but we got on the right track and were carefully picking our way along the last mile or so when @Zealot wondered where we were and came back looking for us. With him leading the way we didn’t have to study each interception and we made good time getting to mile 0 and an end of the ride celebration.

A guy that lives near the canal made a video showing the route once you get to Georgetown. It’s easy to see how people give up.

The first time I did DC to Pittsburgh Amtrak was so far behind schedule and then their luggage carrousel broke down at the train station and it took two hours for me to get my panniers. It was already almost dark so I didn’t look for mile zero. I headed straight for the trail and the closest campground. 
That single track with a wall on one side and the canal on the other was interesting. Not much room to pass.

• Awesome 1

37 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Yeah, it’s fun getting lost downtown!  😂 

Was a wonderful trip. And the post ride celebration was perfect. 

That last little stretch I kept thinking we had to be almost there and it seemed to go on and on. When you came back to find us I was really relieved. That trip really was an adventure.

• Heart 1

• 3 weeks later...