Paging computer geeks...

Bikeguy
Go to solution Solved by groupw,

Yesterday my the software for my old APC UPS displayed "Battery Disconnected" on WoBG's computer screen.  Of course the batter was never disconnected.   And then there was the message "Battery Connected".  So I figured the UPS software was probably confused.  I also though WoBG's computer sure is making a lot of nose, like the cooling fan is working overtime. (the desktop box and UPS are on the floor next to each other).

I powered down everything, and restarted everything, even the UPS which I seldom do.   Everything seemed OK.   Later in the evening... I heard a buzzing noise.   So I power everything down again, including the UPS.   The noise didn't go away.  :scratchhead:  I unplugged the UPS... everything was quiet.  That's when I noticed the UPS was HOT.  A lot hotter than I would expect.  So it was removed from service.  I don't need to burn down my home.

I used the Google, and apparently the UPS battery is is probably near death.

For $70 (plus taxes, etc..) I can get a replacement battery.  For $170  I can get a new UPS.    I like 'sinewave' output and the voltage regulation used by the new UPS.

So now my question...      

Should I just buy the new UPS (recycle the old one) and move on?    Or buy the battery?

I'm not into this stuff but it looks to be prudent to replace the whole unit. If you had gotten to it before the symptoms of failure were present, it would be a different matter. I agree with you that the overheating is likely to indicate a significant shortening of service life going forward.

• Thank You 1