Peloton review (preview - it was extremely disappointing)

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by bikeman564™,

At the place where I swim, they have Peloton bikes, which I have been meaning to try.  So I did.

First, I am generally not a big fan of spin classes, which tend to sound good until you find out a few things:

• The instructors are generally not cyclists
  • They have extremely poor taste in music
  • They won't shut the hell up, ever, and feel compelled to spout nonsense throughout
  • They do the dumbest things, like repeated 2 second "jumps" out of the saddle, then back down, then out again, ad nauseum.  Also stupid stretches that real cyclists see immediately for what they are, which are giant injury risks.

I was hoping that Peloton found a way around these issues, but upon trying it, it turns out they mostly doubled-down on them.  I tried a few different classes, and the instructors did strike me as folks not likely to own a bicycle, or to have a clue about stupid stuff to not do on a bike, like lift weights or 'stretch' (but you can look for classes without the weights at least).  They still have poor taste in music, but you can find a class or so based on era or category, so the sucking is more finite.  The instructors still will not stfu, ever, or at least didn't in the three different classes I jumped in on.

Anyway, all the same limitations and 'one note' approach to cycling, which is the normal spin class that you see out in the world, including the aspects I don't enjoy.  Add to that the downsides of not being able to discreetly perv on the hot students in your class.  I would definitely prefer an actual ride simulation/non-spin platform personally. 

Anyway, I am definitely being harsh on Peloton, and I imagine non gym-goers and non-cyclists would glom onto it more than people like me, and it would also be good for other folks that just want to go along with things without thinking much about it, so there is that.

Question for the Peloton folks - Can you stream Netflix to the monitor?  I can see that being better than just a video of a spin class.  

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I've never tried one, nor have I took a spin class. None of that appeals to me. From what you said, I can see why. I like to ride a bike.

I did do a bunch of spin classes in the winters when I lived in CO a long time ago, or when it was raining or somesuch.  I have opinions, you see, but they are well-founded and based on experience.  If I am missing something special about Peloton, I am open to alternate views, but early returns are not super positive.  The only positive (and it is a big positive) is that you are out of the weather.

I will have to be on the bikes more because they don't have other non-Peloton spin bikes.  I will use my iphone for music and do my own ride, and try and figure out a way to turn off or darken the screen somehow when I am on the Peloton bikes.  So, it will be your basic stationary trainer/spin bike, but better than the yappy instructor-led aspects that are resident in the Peloton platform.

10 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I'd prefer the NordicTrack bike.  It changes the incline / decline and intensity based on the terrain.  You can pick places to ride, do a series, or a solo ride.

That said, I doubt I would ever get one.

Ride simulation platforms seem interesting, but I haven't fully explored them too much.  I probably wouldn't do a lot of investigation until I would be close to pulling the trigger on one, so probably not for a couple of years (or ever)  I do like the idea of riding famous rides/climbs, it sounds pretty appealing to pre-ride a TdF stage and later watch the pros in the race, for instance.

Drape a towel over the screen. I taught spinning for many years, certified through Mad Dog Athletics. Spinning has its place. I liked it because winter cardio. You’re suffering with others. You can improve your cadence and endurance. The last two made me a better cyclist on the bike. That’s all. I had no use for silly maneuvers on the bike, they were dangerous. One instructor in another class had people pedal backwards. You ass! That is making the pedals to become loose and stripping the crank arms, stop it! We stretched muscles after cool down and off the bikes. 

• Heart 3

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Drape a towel over the screen. I taught spinning for many years, certified through Mad Dog Athletics. Spinning has its place. I liked it because winter cardio. You’re suffering with others. You can improve your cadence and endurance. The last two made me a better cyclist on the bike. That’s all. I had no use for silly maneuvers on the bike, they were dangerous. One instructor in another class had people pedal backwards. You ass! That is making the pedals to become loose and stripping the crank arms, stop it! We stretched muscles after cool down and off the bikes. 

YPTOT for sure, but I expect nothing less of you!  There were some good spin instructors, but they were few and far between.  I hate to lump you in with all the bad ones when you don't deserve it.

Winter cardio is the only reason.  Zwift sounds better, what do you hear about it?  Still only to be endured/tolerated, or actually decent to use?

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Uh, it IS a spin class.  It would be weird if it wasn't.

Get a Wahoo and do Zwift.

And check in with @Square Wheels - he has the full set-up and was trying to unload it.

You know, they make it seem like they have invented a whole new thing, so I hoped against hope that there would be something new and different and better.  It clearly works for a lot of people, though, especially the Peloton chick who did it for a whole year in that great ad they had.

I don't want to connect my bike to anything, I would probably look to pick up a complete bike substitute in the far distant future.  I am going to drape a towel as O#7 suggested and listen to music and ride the gym's peloton bike in the meantime.

Just now, Randomguy said:

Ah, I don't want to connect my bike to anything, I would probably look to pick up a complete bike substitute in the far distant future.  I am going to drape a towel as O#7 suggested and listen to music and ride the gym's peloton bike in the meantime.

Why not? The bike has to go somewhere anyway, why not in the bedroom on the Wahoo where it can easily hold some clothes, towels, or other things that need to be hung up?

I never have liked stationary exercising.  I get bored very quickly.  I'm sure I'd hate riding/spinning on a Peloton.   

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I don't want to connect my bike to anything,

Years ago.... I did buy some rollers.  I should find a place to ride them in my basement.  They are still kind of boing...  but I do need to pay attention when I ride on them.   I also purchased the air resistance unit for the rollers.   The resistance is adjustable, which is good.    35 minutes...  and I'm done.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I never have liked stationary exercising.  I get bored very quickly.  I'm sure I'd hate riding/spinning on a Peloton.   

Years ago.... I did buy some rollers.  I should find a place to ride them in my basement.  They are still kind of boing...  but I do need to pay attention when I ride on them.   I also purchased the air resistance unit for the rollers.   The resistance is adjustable, which is good.    35 minutes...  and I'm done.

I've tried and tried too, and just can't suck up that level of boredom.  I prefer the torture of bundling up to ride to the torture of riding inside.  Some folks might thrive in the Winter and get in gobs of great exercise and the like, but not so much me. It's definitely why the warmer places are growing higher and higher on my list of places to live these days.

• Heart 3

I got a three month free subscription to Zwift when I bought my smart trainer..., but did not bother to renew it for pay when it ran out.  

I was more intrigued that with my smart trainer I could re-ride rides that I had done with my Garmin bike computer.  The trainer would adjust difficulty based on the incline of the actual route so it was like re-doing the route again but in your living room.  They even have a little icon of 'virtual' you and where you were at certain times during the actual ride so you can race yourself.  I get much more out of that than I ever did out of zwift

• Heart 3

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I've tried and tried too, and just can't suck up that level of boredom.  I prefer the torture of bundling up to ride to the torture of riding inside.

And that's why I love taking our dogs for a walk just about every day.  In the winter, I use my insulted hiking boots and a warm coat... I'm good to go.  The dogs get jackets too.  They hate the dog booties.  So when it's too cold (they start lifting their paws) we get a day off. 

12 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I got a three month free subscription to Zwift when I bought my smart trainer..., but did not bother to renew it for pay when it ran out.  

I was more intrigued that with my smart trainer I could re-ride rides that I had done with my Garmin bike computer.  The trainer would adjust difficulty based on the incline of the actual route so it was like re-doing the route again but in your living room.  They even have a little icon of 'virtual' you and where you were at certain times during the actual ride so you can race yourself.  I get much more out of that than I ever did out of zwift

Which one do you have?  That sounds cool!

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I don't want to fatigue the frame in any way, as unlikely as that is, plus I don't want to be endlessly removing or reinstalling the rear wheel.  I also don't want to get a crap bike to slap on a trainer.

Zero fatigue to the bike.  And endlessly removing the wheel? Are you really thinking you are riding outside again until March/April?  Once? Twice?  Not really an issue.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Zero fatigue to the bike.  And endlessly removing the wheel? Are you really thinking you are riding outside again until March/April?  Once? Twice?  Not really an issue.

Yeah, I don't know if this has been determined.  I put out 5000 watts while spinning easily, and can flex any frame that is not free-moving.

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah, I don't know if this has been determined.  I put out 5000 watts while spinning easily, and can flex any frame that is not free-moving.

Plenty of trainers now have lateral movement capability.  You should more worry about ripping off your handlebars than screwing up the frame!

10 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I have a buddy who will do winter roller centuries. Now that’s nuts

I could never ride roller for 100 miles... I'd be bored to death.

I used ride my garage at my old home.   I'd be 'in the zone' just riding and paying attention.  I'd ride intervals.

Once... WoBG came into the garage and said  Hi, how long will you be riding?  That scared the shit out me....  I never heard her or seen her.   I served on the rollers.  And that was it, I fell over.  :wacko:   WoBG was like OMG...     At least I fell over to the left.   I had a wall to my right, just to be sure I never fell over and crushed my derailleurs, etc... 

• Heart 1

On 12/20/2021 at 4:31 PM, Airehead said:

@Parr8hed likes his I think. 

On 12/20/2021 at 5:13 PM, Randomguy said:

Yeah, he has done much more of it than I have, so he probably has favorite instructors and classes and such lined up, plus I think he just wants to get on it and go.

Correct.  I am pretty time-challenged these days.  I need intense workout in short amount of time.  I just don't have time to go ride 2-3 hours like I used to.  30-45 min and i get a hell of a workout.  Some instructors yap too much.  There is a setting where you can ask for "more music".  "more instructor" or "original mix". I almost always choose more music.  

You are correct that most of the music sucks.  But I just suck it up and listen to whatever they are playing.  I have my fav instructors.  Dennis is great.  Matt Wilpers also.  The females while nice to look at tend to be more yappy.  Kendal is pretty tough but Olivia is my fav.  She seems to be able to get me to push a little harder for whatever reason.  

I am currently 4 weeks into a 5 week program called "build your power zones".  It is all based on "power zone" riding.  Basically you stay in your wattage zone for the prescribed amount of time.  Think power meter intervals.  Keeps you in the correct zone.  Won't let you go too hard but makes you not slack off either.  It's only 3 days a week.  I feel as strong as I have ever on the bike right now.  I may not be in ironman endurance shape, but I can put down some power right now.  

I do the classes as well.  Strength and yoga.  The wife introduced me to a group called #hardCOREonthefloor they are on the facebooks.  They put out a schedule every month of classes.  It's usually 40 min a day.  They tell you which classes to do off the peloton app.  10 min of core almost every day.  Upper body, lower body, yoga, etc.  It's a good mix.  I tend to do that calendar on days when I don't ride.  

I am trying to find a balance here.  When I was in the military I was strong as shit.  I could bench over 400.  I could squat and deadlift over 500.  But I would get out of breath tying my shoes.  Obviously I had endurance when I did the ironman, but I felt weak.  What I want is a balance between those two.  

I am up to 89 bike classes, 116 strength classes and 21 yoga classes since I have bough the bike and feel like I am getting into a pretty good groove exercise wise.  I don't see me going back to traditionally outdoor bike  rides at least for the foreseeable future.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Correct.  I am pretty time-challenged these days.  I need intense workout in short amount of time.  I just don't have time to go ride 2-3 hours like I used to.  30-45 min and i get a hell of a workout.  Some instructors yap too much.  There is a setting where you can ask for "more music".  "more instructor" or "original mix". I almost always choose more music.  

You are correct that most of the music sucks.  But I just suck it up and listen to whatever they are playing.  I have my fav instructors.  Dennis is great.  Matt Wilpers also.  The females while nice to look at tend to be more yappy.  Kendal is pretty tough but Olivia is my fav.  She seems to be able to get me to push a little harder for whatever reason.  

I am currently 4 weeks into a 5 week program called "build your power zones".  It is all based on "power zone" riding.  Basically you stay in your wattage zone for the prescribed amount of time.  Think power meter intervals.  Keeps you in the correct zone.  Won't let you go too hard but makes you not slack off either.  It's only 3 days a week.  I feel as strong as I have ever on the bike right now.  I may not be in ironman endurance shape, but I can put down some power right now.  

I do the classes as well.  Strength and yoga.  The wife introduced me to a group called #hardCOREonthefloor they are on the facebooks.  They put out a schedule every month of classes.  It's usually 40 min a day.  They tell you which classes to do off the peloton app.  10 min of core almost every day.  Upper body, lower body, yoga, etc.  It's a good mix.  I tend to do that calendar on days when I don't ride.  

I am trying to find a balance here.  When I was in the military I was strong as shit.  I could bench over 400.  I could squat and deadlift over 500.  But I would get out of breath tying my shoes.  Obviously I had endurance when I did the ironman, but I felt weak.  What I want is a balance between those two.  

I am up to 89 bike classes, 116 strength classes and 21 yoga classes since I have bough the bike and feel like I am getting into a pretty good groove exercise wise.  I don't see me going back to traditionally outdoor bike  rides at least for the foreseeable future.

Will you be ready to ride Mt.  Washington?

• Haha 1