College Bowl Games - In Jeopardy?

Razors Edge

Seems a few have been canceled and/or swapped teams this year - and that was even leading up to Omicron.  While I assume $$$ will be the real determining factor, how does the rest of the bowl season look? Especially considering many/most players went home for xmas?  Or do you think they were quarantined to avoid any crazy outbreaks?

Didn't @jsharr's team get screwed?  Or did they end up playing?

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

Pitt’s starting QB is sitting out their Bowl while awaiting the NFL draft day. So from my perspective, that Bowl’s been cancelled.

Once I graduated, any bowl that wasn't the championship bowl was meaningless.  Most really are nonsense, and I'll never remember if a team finished in the top 10, 20, or was horrible just a few years later.  For the students? A bowl trip is a blast. For the rest of us? :dontknow: Mindless TV.  I do like the Rose Parade but the coverage sucks.

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

The Rose Bowl is a big thing in SoCal.  To my understanding it’s still on for Jan 1st.  Interesting to see if the playoff is impacted. 

I want to see the parade in person one day.  My wife says you can often smell the floats as they go by.  Seems a PITA to get there to line up for a parade, though. 

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I want to see the parade in person one day.  My wife says you can often smell the floats as they go by.  Seems a PITA to get there to line up for a parade, though. 

When I was a kid my family would go often. Sitting on the street all night holding your prime spot was not fun at all and quiet honestly scarred me for life.  I haven’t been back as an adult.  

I still remember my mom sending my brother & I out on the street to pick up flowers that would fall off the floats. 

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If you want to skip the parade hassle, the floats gather in a park after the parade and you can wander around and see (and smell) them.  The downside is that any moving elements aren't moving when they're stationery.  When I lived in California, my town had its own self-decorated float.  Most of the big floats are done by commercial decorators but the small cities still do their own.  The float was set up in the parking lot of the local bank and people would volunteer to decorate the float. I love the Rose Parade (and watch the coverage on HGTV and not one of the major networks for better coverage).

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

If you want to skip the parade hassle, the floats gather in a park after the parade and you can wander around and see (and smell) them.  The downside is that any moving elements aren't moving when they're stationery.  When I lived in California, my town had its own self-decorated float.  Most of the big floats are done by commercial decorators but the small cities still do their own.  The float was set up in the parking lot of the local bank and people would volunteer to decorate the float. I love the Rose Parade (and watch the coverage on HGTV and not one of the major networks for better coverage).

Yeah I forgot about that.  The floats are on display for a few days afterwards.  One of my sisters had purchased tickets for the bleachers but said parking was miserable.  

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Seems a few have been canceled and/or swapped teams this year - and that was even leading up to Omicron.  While I assume $$$ will be the real determining factor, how does the rest of the bowl season look? Especially considering many/most players went home for xmas?  Or do you think they were quarantined to avoid any crazy outbreaks?

Didn't @jsharr's team get screwed?  Or did they end up playing?

My team took a convenient exit.  Lost offensive and defensive coordinators to new jobs.  Many players opting out of the bowl game to pursue NFL or enter transfer portal.  But it is due to covid, sure it is.   Getting blown out like Football Team against the Cowboys would not have done the Aggie program any favors.

• Heart 1

There are a couple of bike clubs that ride to the parade. 60 mile round trip from here but I won't get up at 4 am to ride. 🤣  Especially when I don't care for parades and the crowds. But if I were to ever go.......

14 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I don't think Canadians go this far for football celebrations often. ..ie. except maybe for Grey Cup. I find watching Rose Parade on tv in past, a different cultural event for me. All those marching bands...and marching band culture doesn't exist on that frequency nor scale.  

Canada certainly is missing a lot of fun stuff!  If nothing else, a marching band at halftime can be a wonderful event for the sport-minded and the non-sport-minded folks.  Add in the general festive nature of game day - tailgating and hanging with friends - and then the bigger stuff at a bowl game (like parades), and you really have a good time for folks.  

Once out of college though, the bowls featuring random teams are not as enticing.  Ones like the Rose Bowl, though. make up for it with cool parades.  If the halftime shows were actually part of most bowl broadcasts, more folks could certainly enjoy the fun. Sadly, the marching band action rarely makes it onto the TV. :(