Went to the range today

ChrisL

Just now, Airehead said:

Gun safety is a great family responsibility. 

Per the request of my wife I unloaded most of my handguns, rifle & shotgun when our daughter was born.  I kept my Browning Buckmark but have no ammo. I actually no longer have cleaning supplies either.  I’d like to go back with my own Buckmark & ammo but need cleaning supplies.

Yeah I walked through weapon safety with my son & had to clear a jam when a round stovepiped in him but he did really well. 

• Heart 4

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

My son has been wanting to go shooting for ages and I finally took him.  First time firing a handgun (any weapon really)  in close to 30 years.  

I rented one of their 1911’s & the range master made me go through a safety competency test which I passed. We then we hit the range. 

We blew through 150 rounds but the first 50 I was showing my son mostly and then we each put some rounds on our own targets. I jerked a couple but not too bad considering how long it’s been.

My son

7AA90FA8-AAF0-423A-9995-A00EBD0DCEF2.thumb.jpeg.e0b68c818b2ea84fec1cffc3c3c2e3c1.jpeg

My target

B0A6D96E-7AC6-427C-ABBA-6577AEE12567.thumb.jpeg.b8998192b37dd846714e6c7229400b3a.jpeg

E's dead Jim.

• Haha 1

I've shot a handgun one time with a cop friend.  Up in Lytle creek free for all dirt road.  He had a 9 mm glockenspiel. I couldn't hit squat.🤣

Made me think of how talented them gangstas really are running and shooting sideways in both hands. 😆

• Heart 2

I got invited to the range this Thursday. I have a Taurus TX-22, a .22 automatic that has the feel of a .380 or a 9mm. A retired Phoenix PD told me sighting in with a .22 was good since the form was the same and the ammunition is cheaper.

I would like a Smith & Wesson .380 MCP.

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

I've shot a handgun one time with a cop friend.  Up in Lytle creek free for all dirt road.  He had a 9 mm glockenspiel. I couldn't hit squat.🤣

Made me think of how talented them gangstas really are running and shooting sideways in both hands. 😆

I had two shotguns & used to go to Lytle Creek with a clay bird thrower & shoot trap.  Yeah that place was nuts at times.  The open shooting area is closed now but there is a public range in the general area. 

Yeah don’t get me started on the BS Hollywood crap.

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I got invited to the range this Thursday. I have a Taurus TX-22, a .22 automatic that has the feel of a .380 or a 9mm. A retired Phoenix PD told me sighting in with a .22 was good since the form was the same and the ammunition is cheaper.

I would like a Smith & Wesson .380 MCP.

My Buckmark is by far my favorite weapon.  If you had put tens of thousands of big bore rounds down range (on the governments dime!) you learn to appreciate a small caliber weapon.  

I’m actually really interested in air gunning like @Allen.  

• Heart 3

14 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Fun times. What do they charge you for a box of .45s?

It was $43 for a bag of 50.  I don’t know the going rate on rounds but it seemed reasonable.  They load their own at that range.  They actually felt a little under charged from a military ball round.  

• Heart 3

6 minutes ago, Allen said:

Air guns are like bicycles; cheap ones are crap (mostly). Getting up an running is pricey, but once you have all the auxiliary kit they are real cheap to shoot. My best shooting gun of all time is an air rifle. 

I have priced them and they are on par with any quality fire arm.  The PCP’s are really cool and I’d probably go that route.  

Yeah initial expense is high but over time they become cost effective. 

• Heart 2

Hand pumping  up a gun gets old real quickly. Add a decent compressor and a scuba tank to the list. 
Benjamin guns are like Giant bicycles, reasonably priced workhorses. 
Hatsan is a crapshoot. Heavily built with some QC issues. 
Skip Gammo and Umarex all together.
FXs are pricey, a little fragile, and shoot beautifully. 
AirForce rifles are ugly workhorses. They are in partnership with RAW now. RAW are on par with FX as far as quality and accuracy. 
LCS SK19 is the current coolest gun on the market. Full auto, so it uses up both air and ammo quickly. 

• Heart 2

@ChrisL I don’t care if I agree with you or not. I want you on my side in a gunfight! 
I haven’t fired a gun in several years. I have my dad’s Henry lever action 30-30 and about 50 rounds. I keep meaning to take it out, but other stuff always comes up. I used to be an ok shot. I’d like to see if I still can. 

• Heart 3

28 minutes ago, groupw said:

@ChrisL I don’t care if I agree with you or not. I want you on my side in a gunfight! 
I haven’t fired a gun in several years. I have my dad’s Henry lever action 30-30 and about 50 rounds. I keep meaning to take it out, but other stuff always comes up. I used to be an ok shot. I’d like to see if I still can. 

Thanks but I’d just as well skip any gun fights thank you.

It was fun to get back out there but shooting at a stationary target from a static position shouldn’t have been too hard for me considering my background. Muscle memory is an amazing thing… I was actually a little disappointed I couldn’t group them tighter and have no clue how a blew that one head shot.  Back in the day I consistently qualified 598 -600 so basically every round was in the 10 ring.  These were timed dynamic evolutions with reloads & drawing/holstering. 

• Heart 3

10 minutes ago, Dottles said:

See??  Being from Southern California i thought you were talking about golf.

And not being for CA... I knew this tread was going to be about shooting.

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

My target

B0A6D96E-7AC6-427C-ABBA-6577AEE12567.thumb.jpeg.b8998192b37dd846714e6c7229400b3a.jpeg

That's not bad (actually rather good)  for not shooting for 30 years.

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1