As usual

BR46

8 hours ago, ChrisL said:

And the race is tomorrow???

January 7,8 and 9th ...but he has been in this position the night before the race. 

12 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I guess that is the definition of a gear head, one who has spare gears on hand!  And knows how to use them!

He has 4 or 5 parts motors laying around. The transmission that he put in is not gear ratio that he wants for the big track but it's better than not racing at all.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

Maybe he should take it easy. Motorcycles don't grow on trees, you know.

I got a brand new race bike stuck in a tree the first day I had it one time. Was trying a hill that nobody had been successful climbing. I wanted to see how the new bike would do. It looped over when I was almost to the top and bounced on the way back down and landed in a tree. I had a heck of a time getting it out of the tree.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/28/2021 at 9:48 AM, Longjohn said:

I got a brand new race bike stuck in a tree the first day I had it one time. Was trying a hill that nobody had been successful climbing. I wanted to see how the new bike would do. It looped over when I was almost to the top and bounced on the way back down and landed in a tree. I had a heck of a time getting it out of the tree.

That is a scary feeling when the front of a bike looses its grip on earth going up a hill!  I almost flipped playing on my brother's mountain bike going up a very steep hill.  And by almost flipped I mean the front wheel came a few inches off the ground. :D

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Wth is a broken dog?

The 3 little pins sticking out on the gear is called a dog. 

The last thing that you want is the transmission to lock up at 140mph

A friend of mine had one lock up at Road America a few years ago....he was doing 170 when everything locked up.

20211227_202035.thumb.jpg.f65de7f5464ba1f41e139a39e67d620d.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, BR46 said:

The 3 little pins sticking out on the gear is called a dog. 

The last thing that you want is the transmission to lock up at 140mph

A friend of mine had one lock up at Road America a few years ago....he was doing 170 when everything locked up.

20211227_202035.thumb.jpg.f65de7f5464ba1f41e139a39e67d620d.jpg

Good explanation, but how is that related to a dog in any which way?

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Good explanation, but how is that related to a dog in any which way?

the big teeth on the gears are thought to resemble dog teeth, so they are called gear dogs and clutch dogs as I understand it.  Used in high speed gear boxes where precise shifts are needed.  

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I guess that is the definition of a gear head, one who has spare gears on hand!  And knows how to use them!

When I was racing RC, the common belief was you only broke what you don’t have spare so we kept spare cars in the pits for our team! 

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Good thing it wasn’t a boat!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Holy schitt!  What happened then?

Rear tire locked up on live TV. He kept the motorcycle under control until it slowed down to about 50mph and then the bike went out from underneath him...his helmet and leather saved him as he slid along the wall.

He got up and walked away. Two days later I help him pull the motor and open it up to see what happened. 

• Heart 3

On 12/28/2021 at 3:37 PM, BR46 said:

Rear tire locked up on live TV. He kept the motorcycle under control until it slowed down to about 50mph and then the bike went out from underneath him...his helmet and leather saved him as he slid along the wall.

He got up and walked away. Two days later I help him pull the motor and open it up to see what happened. 

Would it have worked to pull the clutch in to stop the skid?  Of course it was probably impossible to recover from the initial shock.

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Would it have worked to pull the clutch in to stop the skid?  Of course it was probably impossible to recover from the initial shock.

Clutch wouldn't do anything it was the transmission gears themselves that locked up.