Speaking of Endurance Rides

Mr. Beanz

I think I'd be more of a century rider. In 2005, did 23 centuries.  Over the years I have done 4 timed events with 10 000 ft of climbing over 100 miles.  1 with 12 000 ft of climbing,  most of it in the first 72. A double metric 126 miles and 7600 ft of climbing. 

Thought about doing some critical. Went to a few team practice rides. Did really well but found out,  it didn't mean much to me after doing really well. Not missing anything. 

But that's about my best. Riding for 25 consecutive years. 

That's about my best so now. I'm just a cruiser heading into my old age. 🤣 

Got any accomplishments or proud of type cycling?

• Heart 1

Not really since I resumed riding in my 40’s. I ride for fun & fitness but nothing too serious.

I didn’t even want to do Palm Springs century, I did it because my wife wanted to.  I’m doing Mammoth with my cousins. One of them has wanted to do it for years and I told him if he signs up let me know I’ll do it with him. Well he signed up so I did and then his brother did as well. 

I’m proud of 1983 when I went from. Jr to Senior Cat 4 to Sr Cat 3.  (No cat 5 back then).  I won one race & got the podium 3 other times to get moved up. I promptly started getting shelled as a Cat 3 😂.  Also proud of my first marathon.  

• Heart 3

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Not really since I resumed riding in my 40’s. I ride for fun & fitness but nothing too serious.

I didn’t even want to do Palm Springs century, I did it because my wife wanted to.  I’m doing Mammoth with my cousins. One of them has wanted to do it for years and I told him if he signs up let me know I’ll do it with him. Well he signed up so I did and then his brother did as well. 

I’m proud of 1983 when I went from. Jr to Senior Cat 4 to Sr Cat 3.  (No cat 5 back then).  I won one race & got the podium 3 other times to get moved up. I promptly started getting shelled as a Cat 3 😂.  Also proud of my first marathon.  

The Mammoth Gran Fondo?

1 hour ago, Mr Beanz said:

I think I'd be more of a century rider. In 2005, did 23 centuries.  Over the years I have done 4 timed events with 10 000 ft of climbing over 100 miles.  1 with 12 000 ft of climbing,  most of it in the first 72. A double metric 126 miles and 7600 ft of climbing. 

Thought about doing some critical. Went to a few team practice rides. Did really well but found out,  it didn't mean much to me after doing really well. Not missing anything. 

But that's about my best. Riding for 25 consecutive years. 

That's about my best so now. I'm just a cruiser heading into my old age. 🤣 

Got any accomplishments or proud of type cycling?

Maybe  the next challenge is to ride with pannier weight, centuries each day and stay at a hotel/inn. I didn't  say camping :) 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

I'm a "time-crunched" cyclist :D  I stick to 100 and below mile rides for the most part. I've ridden longer distance up to 125 miles, but the fun goes out way before then.  As I'm not a competitor, nor really a joiner, I tend to ride the time & distance I have available, so that's usually the sweat spot of 30-75 miles.  Rides over 4 or 5 hours require a bit more time than I usually want to spend, but when the opportunity presents itself, I'll take it :D

• Heart 3

Ok. There was the Kool Aid ride a few years ago. I can’t remember what I forgot, but it was important and I had to turn around to get it. The riders had just taken off when I got my bike ready and I still had to pay for the ride and use the restroom!  The organizers are friends and knew I was coming so they let me get registered (required lunch ticket is in the packet so I didn’t want to pirate ride.)

I had asked turnout and they said it was over 200 riders. As I headed out, it was a white knuckle ride threading through the novice riders at the back. As they thinned out, I just kept passing riders. There were 20, 40 and 65 mile options. I never saw any riders returning from the 20 and 40 mile turnarounds. When I got to the SAG at the 65 mile turnaround, the first 8 riders were taking off together. I had passed 192 riders in 32ish miles! I started the return with some riders from our hometown group. By the time we got to the last Sag, we were down to 3 and I had pulled most of it! That was probably my strongest individual ride. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

On 12/28/2021 at 11:52 AM, Zephyr said:

On my own, I did the 100 miles in 5:42 (counting two stops to top my water bottles, 5:29 moving time).  Even with getting a road bike I have never beaten that time.

The only other thing would be since April 2013, I have commuted to work every single shift on my bike, with one or two vehicles in the yard.  Through rain and snow and ice and smoke and heat, I have never opted out of my daily ride.  It will be nine straight years the first week of April 2022

Nice time. My fastest was 5:37 ride time. And awesome on the commuting.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Nice time. My fastest was 5:37 ride time. And awesome on the commuting.

I did several at 5:45 riding solo, supported and organized. Flatter centuries with about 3k.

My century with 10,000 ft of gain was 7:10 ride time and 7:38 official total posted time.  Not bad for a 230 lb Clydesdale. 

#123 out of 400 riders.  I rode solo as well. 😄

• Heart 1

On 12/28/2021 at 4:57 PM, Mr Beanz said:

I did several at 5:45 riding solo, supported and organized. Flatter centuries with about 3k.

My century with 10,000 ft of gain was 7:10 ride time and 7:38 official total posted time.  Not bad for a 230 lb Clydesdale. 

#123 out of 400 riders.  I rode solo as well. 😄

The century I did was ≈2800 feet...hilly for my parts :D

• Heart 2

On 12/28/2021 at 5:30 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

I did an unsupported double century, hilly terrain, with one other guy. ride time 10:56 and average speed of 18.2 mph over 200.08 miles.

I’d done numerous fixed gear centuries in the Western PA hills. Some times back to back on both days of a weekend. Too many geared centuries to mention.

Nice. fixie century...that's impressive.

I dont know how many centuries I have ridden.  The first was the Wabash River Run, by the Lafayette Cycle Club, Lafayette IN in either 1985 or 1986.  I rode it again in 1987,  I have ridden 3 300K permanents/brevets, and several 200k brevets.  I started riding the California Triple Crown doubles in 2011, and I have 39 of those now (with 2 dnf's, but both of those were well over 100 miles when I quit). I will keep riding long distance rides as long as I enjoy them. I wont ride them just to keep increasing the count.

• Thank You 1
  • Awesome 2