I had to pull out my suit to make sure it still fits

Rattlecan

It does. These days, it only comes out for weddings and funerals. This time, unfortunately, it is the latter.

Just after our arrival in Halifax, my mom called me to tell me an old friend had passed away. He had been in the hospital for about a week with what was originally thought to be pneumonia, but turned out to be fibrosis of the lungs. He was 74 and healthy right up until this struck him.

The funeral is limited to fifty attendees but I made the cut, so I will be there.

The inside pocket of the jacket still had memorial cards in it from the last two funerals.

• Sad 13

Sorry to hear.  

My moms cousin passed last week.  He was close to my mom and his wife baby sat my older siblings back in the day.  I’m on the fence about attending his funeral next week but if I do I’ll need to pull a suit out.  I have all my dress clothes bagged in the back of my closet.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

I decided to wait a few days before calling her as I know it was a hectic time, but this evening I decided to give her a call and let her know I was thinking about her and the family.

We had a very nice chat, and she is doing well. It was a good time to call. I think what happens is, for the first few days, thinks are really stressful and hectic, but after things settle down a bit is a good time to let them know someone is thinking of them.

Very true, later is when it counts the most. Speaking from experience.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Can't count the years I last wore a suit. Don't own one that fits. Not sure if I'll ever buy another one. Good thing I live in a more casual western environment. Sorry for your loss. 

You just need a collared shirt and one of these:

BT46_mod.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I think the last time I wore my dark suit was at my dad’s funeral almost 3 years ago. I bought a suit that looks less somber just before everything locked down. I wore it once when WoW and I went someplace nice for our Anniversary and again this past fall for nephew’s wedding.  
I don’t mind dressing up once in a while. WoW loves it when I do. Now that I’m not required to wear a tie and dress clot for work it makes the occasions I do feel a little better. 

6 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Can't count the years I last wore a suit. Don't own one that fits. Not sure if I'll ever buy another one. Good thing I live in a more casual western environment. Sorry for your loss. 

When I was cleaning out closets after my wife passed I discovered all kind of suits that I didn’t know I had. One with the tags still on it. How did I get so many suits? I don’t wear suits.