I Wonder If Goldendesign Asked Santa...

Razors Edge

11 hours ago, shootingstar said:

3-D print  -isn't that just pattern parts to cut around and put together?  I never really spent time understanding the craze about it.

Watching those vids, does it look like pattern parts to cut around?  

It really depends on the size of the printer, the materials involved, the complexity of the design, the detail of your file, and the capability of the printer.  

In reality, most complex things are parts assembled together, and a 3D printer is one path to creating any parts you need.  It can be an efficiency thing (one off items) or an on-location thing (build as you need) or simply an artistic thing, but 3D printing is another of those "the future is now" techs that will progressively get better and better and eventually so commonplace, it's just a part of manufacturing in all areas.

• Heart 1

On 12/29/2021 at 8:49 AM, Razors Edge said:

"the future is now"

That's for sure. 3-D printing technology is leaps & bounds from its origination which I think was in the '80s, or what it actually is, stereolithography :D At work we've printed concept parts for show & tell pieces. Couple years ago I went to a company that 3-D prints metal parts, now that is pretty cool. Basically you end up w/ a green part that's akin to a powdered metal, then it needs to be sintered.

• Awesome 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, Razors Edge said:

Well, did you, @goldendesign????

I wish. A new, larger printer is eventually a goal. Tough to weigh new purchases now when the plan as it sits is moving to another country. Keeping what we have to move/sell down right now has certainty influenced our purchasing lately.

On 12/29/2021 at 10:46 AM, Airehead said:

How durable is this?  Plastic seems tough

The vast majority of these are printed in concrete. Habitat for Humanity just finished their "final" prototype 3-D build homes in Arizona. They've also build and by proximity tested several homes in the Caribbean for hurricane and tropical weather effectiveness. There have been other examples using plastics and fiber composites too. A bunch of boats including a 25 foot craft built using plastic in 72 hours. That boat tested with twin outboards and 50+mph in open water scenarios.  

The world of 3D printing has come a long way. I'm part of a local group that completes prosthetics for children and disadvantaged. It's called Enabling the Future. The hand I usually print is here. To date I've built 11 hands, 3 prosthetic leg covers (think like fancy shin guards), and about 7 wheelchair systems for small dogs.

The material is inexpensive (uses less than 1/4 kilo of material) a whole roll of material can make 4 hands and the other parts; velcro, cabling, and soft silicone grippers costs about $30. For a few hours of my time, and under $100 all in I can make a prosthetics that will allow a child with a disability grow and get used to prosthetics until their an adult and can have a fancy, advanced, permanent hand. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

8 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

I wish. A new, larger printer is eventually a goal. Tough to weigh new purchases now when the plan as it sits is moving to another country. Keeping what we have to move/sell down right now has certainty influenced our purchasing lately.

The vast majority of these are printed in concrete. Habitat for Humanity just finished their "final" prototype 3-D build homes in Arizona. They've also build and by proximity tested several homes in the Caribbean for hurricane and tropical weather effectiveness. There have been other examples using plastics and fiber composites too. A bunch of boats including a 25 foot craft built using plastic in 72 hours. That boat tested with twin outboards and 50+mph in open water scenarios.  

The world of 3D printing has come a long way. I'm part of a local group that completes prosthetics for children and disadvantaged. It's called Enabling the Future. The hand I usually print is here. To date I've built 11 hands, 3 prosthetic leg covers (think like fancy shin guards), and about 7 wheelchair systems for small dogs.

The material is inexpensive (uses less than 1/4 kilo of material) a whole roll of material can make 4 hands and the other parts; velcro, cabling, and soft silicone grippers costs about $30. For a few hours of my time, and under $100 all in I can make a prosthetics that will allow a child with a disability grow and get used to prosthetics until their an adult and can have a fancy, advanced, permanent hand. 

Wow-- given my work, I know that these prosthetics are life changing.  Thank you

• Heart 1