John Madden

Airehead

John Madden had a huge impact on the game.  Good guy.  Heckuva coach.  Helluva announcer.  I've never heard anything bad about John and as far as I'm concerned, he deserves all the accolades he gets.  I trust the NFL community is going to respond in full.  He deserves it. He's arguably an icon for the game.

• Heart 1

Holy crap.  Goodell got something right:

"On behalf of the entire NFL family, we extend our condolences to Virginia, Mike, Joe and their families," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "We all know him as the Hall of Fame coach of the Oakland Raiders and broadcaster who worked for every major network, but more than anything, he was a devoted husband, father and grandfather.

"Nobody loved football more than Coach. He was football. He was an incredible sounding board to me and so many others. There will never be another John Madden, and we will forever be indebted to him for all he did to make football and the NFL what it is today."

• Awesome 2

I've been reading a lot of comments from around the league.  This guy is going to be missed.  He truly was an icon -- if not the icon -- of the game.  Certainly in the top 3 I'd argue.  It makes me feel old actually.  I remember as a kid when he was coach of the Raiders and watching his game on TV.  Everyone growing up at that time appreciated him as the best color announcer ever.  And, Moi, video gamer, have never played his video game.  Should I buy one?

• Heart 1

On 12/28/2021 at 8:19 PM, Old No. 7 said:

Madden and Summerall were the best game announcers. RIP. 

I've always felt that way... the other night I found an old game they called on YouTube and it was so great to hear him again.  I didn't start watching football till the early 80s so I don't remember him as a coach.  I really hope the NFL can get together some high-profile way to remember him.

• Heart 1

So the news is saying he died unexpectedly, but my morbid self assumed he was very sick, or close to death when they started pumping the Madden documentary the last few weeks and then he dies a day or two after it comes out.

I do not remember much of him as a coach, but I only cared about the Cowboys, but I do remember him as an announcer and of course for the video game, that I am not sure I have every played.

He seemed like a great guy, but sometimes his schtick grew thin on me.

Godspeed coach.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

i always thought Summerall sucked ass.  Madden was easily the best ever, I loved games he did.

I loved Cossell too.   It irked me that so many players from teams other than the Cowboys were announcers and seemed to thrive on bashing the Cowboys.  Madden and Cossell seemed to stay above that and told it like it was.  

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I loved Cossell too.   It irked me that so many players from teams other than the Cowboys were announcers and seemed to thrive on bashing the Cowboys.  Madden and Cossell seemed to stay above that and told it like it was.  

Early Cosell was great, but he started to suck once he was widely know for being great and toned things down on the criticisms of bad players and coaches.  If you make your name telling it like it is, you should keep telling it like it is, I feel.

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

We just watched a long documentary of his life on Saturday, where he was shown watching it too.

I spent $7 bucks to stream it -- and it was great.  I watched it twice.  It's on tonight on FOX again for free for those interested.  Even if you aren't a big football fan, it'll pull some strings.

His summer house was on the water in Carmel.  For fun I was browsing through the real estate there and average tiny little houses 3 blocks off the water were going for 8 million before the market went insane.  Point is, I listened to Mike Holmgren on the radio talking about him and John once told him that of all the coaching, announcing, and public appearances, it was just beer money when compared to the video game.  He had like 5% of the stake and I just read that video game has sold more than $5 billion in revenue.  So while I remember him as both a coach and an announcer, his biggest contribution was perhaps that video game.  Kids used to learn the game playing it in their backyards.  Now they are learning it playing his game.