Ghost town getting smaller

12string

There are only about 15 people in the office, about 10% of normal.  Mostly vacation, some working remote.

It just went down by one.

Two guys come to my desk to chat about something for a bit.  Finally, one (wearing his coat the whole time) says he has to leave, he got a call that his test came back positive.  Then stayed a couple more minutes to talk about it!  Oh, and the other guy is unvaxxed, but at least he's got a mask halfway on.

• Sad 3

At a former job I used to joke that the office was so empty between Christmas and New Year's that not only could I get a good spot in the parking lot, but that I could park my car in the front lobby given how few people were there.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 12string said:

There are only about 15 people in the office, about 10% of normal.  Mostly vacation, some working remote.

It just went down by one.

Two guys come to my desk to chat about something for a bit.  Finally, one (wearing his coat the whole time) says he has to leave, he got a call that his test came back positive.  Then stayed a couple more minutes to talk about it!  Oh, and the other guy is unvaxxed, but at least he's got a mask halfway on.

Yep.  CEO's brother works for us.  He was the first in the office to test positive and when he got the news, he wandered all around, maskless.  I told him to mask up and get out.  I tested positive a day later, but in reality, we all probably already had it.  

Just now, Kirby said:

At a former job I used to joke that the office was so empty between Christmas and New Year's that not only could I get a good spot in the parking lot, but that I could park my car in the front lobby given how few people were there.

I am a bit confused here.  By car, do you mean trike with streamers?  

• Haha 1

On 12/29/2021 at 3:28 PM, sheep_herder said:

I loved working over the holidays. It was quiet, and I got a lot done and kept the secretaries busy. After a while others caught on and began leaving work for the secretaries.

But it is somewhat a deal with the devil or at least a gamble, because if anything breaks, you get to fix it all by your ownself!.

I used to use it for training and catching up - it was a delight!

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

But it is somewhat a deal with the devil or at least a gamble, because if anything breaks, you get to fix it all by your ownself!.

I used to use it for training and catching up - it was a delight!

Breakage was never a problem for me at the laboratory. I was mostly working with data and writing annual reports and manuscripts.

I used to love it when our 2900-student high school was a "ghost town" when the students were off but teachers had to report.

Some staff days, we science department people would get all the required stuff done a day ahead of time and then inform the administration we were going to spend the staff day at the Maryland Science Center in Baltimore.  Then we'd get in our cars and drive home.