Merry Christmas

Mr. Silly

I start guitar lessons Saturday.  I've tried a few times in the past, but never stuck to it.

I told my instructor that I wanted to learn to read music.  Instead of going in each week saying, "I want to learn to play XYZ song", I follow a lesson plan.  My instructor is using the Hal Leonard Guitar Method series of books.  I've been doing it for about a year and a half.  I just started book 3.  The series teaches techniques and along with music theory so you know what your playing and why.  It presents skills in a reasonable pace so you can learn to play the instrument.  

In the past when I took lessons, the instructor would just teach me songs.  I like following a lesson plan better.

You may recall earlier this summer I joined the Tilted Axes ensemble.  It was really my first attempt at playing along with real musician outside of my lessons.  Even though there were some VERY accomplished musicians in the ensemble, I fit in quite well and didn't feel like I was out of place or I was in over my head.

The only negative to following a method series is that you don't really build much of a repertoire.  You'll be at a disadvantage if a buddy calls up and says, "hey, bring your ax over and we can jam."  In this scenario you'll have to let your buddy take the lead to teach you the cool songs.  On the flip side though, you'll learn them fast.

Once again, very good.

I am alternating weeks with my daughter for lessons.  In the past I've used Mel Bay books, my daughter came home with a Hal Leonard book.  Glad you liked it.

I did a combination of learning technique and songs with previous teachers.  I'm going to keep my mouth shut and learn how to play this time.

Once again, very good.

I am alternating weeks with my daughter for lessons.  In the past I've used Mel Bay books, my daughter came home with a Hal Leonard book.  Glad you liked it.

I did a combination of learning technique and songs with previous teachers.  I'm going to keep my mouth shut and learn how to play this time.

We'll take a tangent now and then to learn a song.  Summertime was just that.  I was listening to Diana Krall and had a hankerin' to do something from "The American Song Book".  I poked around a bit and found the score for Summertime that was free.  

The Hal Leonard books will have portions of some pieces.  In the second book they used the main theme to Bach's Jesu Joy of Mans Desire for the lesson on triplets.  I thought just doing a small portion of the tune was lame.  I found a copy of the score and did the whole thing.  

It needs about 5 or 10 more beats  per minute but I'm pretty proud of this:

Jesu Joy of Mans Desiring.mp3