Jump to content

The Weird Magic Of Choosing A Child's Name


Razors Edge
 Share

Recommended Posts

...was written about today with relation to Harry Potter and kids who read the books&  who are now having children of their own:

In 2000, no U.S. birth certificate recorded the name Hermione. Last year, there were 91, according to the baby-name site Nameberry, which culls data from the Social Security Administration. Only 144 Lunas were born in 2000—a name shared by the kind-but-weird Luna Lovegood of the series—compared with 7,770 Lunas born last year. 

Even the villains did well. No U.S. newborns in 2000 were named Bellatrix, a character who chases Harry Potter across several novels, but last year 21 of them were born, according to Nameberry. Also on the rise: The number of kids named Draco, best known to fans as the name of Harry’s Hogwarts nemesis Draco Malfoy, going from 15 children to 101 little Dracos last year.

Harry is popular for many reasons: Last year, 340 babies were given that name. At the top of the baby-naming market: 17,535 Olivias and 19,659 Liams, the most popular baby names of 2020, according to Nameberry.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Luna? sounds close to Looney.

I never cared for Olivia..it  has  an old school feel to it. But it's all a matter of perspective. Maybe it gets shortened to a dimunitive ie.  Livia.  I know for certain my name hasn't  become rejuvenated since I was  born.  Simple name (which was popularized by 1-2 movie stars), but actually quite rare now, from my generation downward.

I feel sorry for Eldon Musk's son, with an unusual acronym, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...was written about today with relation to Harry Potter and kids who read the books&  who are now having children of their own:

In 2000, no U.S. birth certificate recorded the name Hermione. Last year, there were 91, according to the baby-name site Nameberry, which culls data from the Social Security Administration. Only 144 Lunas were born in 2000—a name shared by the kind-but-weird Luna Lovegood of the series—compared with 7,770 Lunas born last year. 

Even the villains did well. No U.S. newborns in 2000 were named Bellatrix, a character who chases Harry Potter across several novels, but last year 21 of them were born, according to Nameberry. Also on the rise: The number of kids named Draco, best known to fans as the name of Harry’s Hogwarts nemesis Draco Malfoy, going from 15 children to 101 little Dracos last year.

Harry is popular for many reasons: Last year, 340 babies were given that name. At the top of the baby-naming market: 17,535 Olivias and 19,659 Liams, the most popular baby names of 2020, according to Nameberry.  

 

And what kind of name is 'Nameberry' anyway?

 

;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Luna? sounds close to Looney.

I never cared for Olivia..it  has  an old school feel to it. But it's all a matter of perspective. Maybe it gets shortened to a dimunitive ie.  Livia.  I know for certain my name hasn't  become rejuvenated since I was  born.  Simple name (which was popularized by 1-2 movie stars), but actually quite rare now, from my generation downward.

I feel sorry for Eldon Musk's son, with an unusual acronym, etc.

Liam?  You don't like Olivia but are okay with Liam?!?!?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was teaching high school about 16 years after the movie "Love Story" came out - where the main character Jennifer (Ali MacGraw) died after saying idiotic things like, "Love is never having to say you're sorry," I would often teach classes where two or three girls were named "Jennifer."

A similar thing happened after Rachel and Ross on "Friends" named their baby Emma.

Note that the great French singer, Edith Piaff, had the very-non-French name of Edith, as did a lot of French women her age, because a British nurse named "Edith" was the first female war casualty of World War I.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Liam?  You don't like Olivia but are okay with Liam?!?!?!

I must admit Liam...sounds lame to me. It's just audio sounds to me, Razor.

I'm waiting for the next great actress to have my name to do another reboot. However doesn't look as if that will happen ...name seems to have gotten booted out the door into oblivion :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...