I have a job!

JerrySTL

3 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

So... either he is the oldest man alive, or he didn't get the possible 213 years in prison mentioned in the link.

He did about 7 years only by ratting out some others. I'm surprised that someone didn't bomb his business or do a drive by. Glad that didn't happen especially while I was working in there.

5 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

The database is a piece of crap. Way back in the '90s I told Rick it was and would build him a database which would work for $7,000. He was somewhat insulted as he created the database and I called his work crap. Well I've made over $25,000 trying to keep the POS up and running.

So... maybe it's time for the guy to 'upgrade' to a better design.  If you old design still works... it's probably worth $30K now. 

Pick  your reason for the price increase;  inflation, the virus, labor shortages (you are retired), your a swindler (skip that one... you may get jail time if he rats you out)

The only other thing...  If you are taking Social Security, and you are younger than your official 'full retirement' age, there is an income limit before they start reducing your monthly benefit. (that's assuming you tell them about the pay)  If you are older then your full retirement age, then you are good to go and make some money. 

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

The only other thing...  If you are taking Social Security, and you are younger than your official 'full retirement' age, there is an income limit before they start reducing your monthly benefit. (that's assuming you tell them about the pay)  If you are older then your full retirement age, then you are good to go and make some money. 

Got that covered. I waited until I was of full retirement age before taking SS just in case I had to go back to work for some reason.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, JerrySTL said:

Update: He finally sent me the database on a USB stick. He also sent me $500 in unmarked $20 bills. Should I be worried getting cash from a former felon? A check would have been OK as long as it didn't bounce.

Can you at least tell us his name just in case, ah... you know..  we have to change your name to JerrySwimminWithFishes.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Update: He finally sent me the database on a USB stick. He also sent me $500 in unmarked $20 bills. Should I be worried getting cash from a former felon? A check would have been OK as long as it didn't bounce.

Tell us after you look at that file on stick, if the job is worth more than that clutch of bills.  He just wants for sure to pay you without documented filled contractor invoice/receipt to you, without  having to report earned amount on his income line.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I'd scan the USB stick for nasty stuff before I opened any files.

A check is evidence...   keep the money.   'Under the table' works just fine for retired people...     

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I'd scan the USB stick for nasty stuff before I opened any files.

A check is evidence...   keep the money.   'Under the table' works just fine for retired people...     

I scanned the USB stick first on a seldom used computer just in case. I looked over the database and didn't see any illegal activities stored in it.

Actually what I found was very little problems with the database. Rick said that some reports and forms take minutes to open or time out. On my computer they only take a couple of seconds. While there are a few minor problems with the database, the issue is obviously with his server and/or computers. Even before I took the job, I told him to look at the Task Manager for CPU and memory issues. I also suggested that he exclude the .mdb and .ldb database files from the virus checker. Speaking of virus checking, I suggested that he run a good one to see if malware could be the problem. However I just found out that he's still on Windows 7!

• Heart 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

the issue is obviously with his server and/or computers. Even before I took the job, I told him to look at the Task Manager for CPU and memory issues. I also suggested that he exclude the .mdb and .ldb database files from the virus checker. Speaking of virus checking, I suggested that he run a good one to see if malware could be the problem. However I just found out that he's still on Windows 7!

Windows 7 stopped getting security updates about 1 year ago.   That may not be a good thing... 

A few years back, my BIL called me once about his computer not working very well.  I got to his home, and he was correct.   I had a copy of Norton Antivirus on a CD, and booted the computer from the CD.  If I recall he had 9 or 10 viruses, etc...    It took a while to clean things out.   I asked him what he did...  "I clicked on the email that told me I had a virus, and I needed to remove the virus."   :facepalm: I suspect he did stuff like that more than once.

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

10 hours ago, donkpow said:

How do you know they are "unmarked"?

339546601_tinfoil.jpg.6451917cd33fa4c7dc097c5d2a915f80.jpg

My question exactLy.