'Encanto' was the worst piece of crap I started watching all year

Randomguy

Holy shit, Disney tried to do everything in this movie, and it all fell flat.  The songs were not catchy and were tedious as hell, and they tried to push so much at you at once to disguise the fact that there was barely a thread of a story there, if that.  Cast of thousands, noise all the time, blah blah blah blah blah blah.  I think they just said "let's make a movie for hispanic people, make it noisy and be sure to show that 40 people live in each household, and throw so SJW shit out there while you are at it".

It sucked.  My parents thought it was horrible, too, just garbage.  RO watched it, kinda, but wasn't super into it at all, and she will watch anything.  I got up after about 45 minutes to take a shower, just to get away from the obnoxiously loud and poorly-conceived crapfest.

Don't waste your time.

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Holy shit, Disney tried to do everything in this movie, and it all fell flat.  The songs were not catchy and were tedious as hell, and they tried to push so much at you at once to disguise the fact that there was barely a thread of a story there, if that.  Cast of thousands, noise all the time, blah blah blah blah blah blah.  I think they just said "let's make a movie for hispanic people, make it noisy and be sure to show that 40 people live in each household, and throw so SJW shit out there while you are at it".

It sucked.  My parents thought it was horrible, too, just garbage.  RO watched it, kinda, but wasn't super into it at all, and she will watch anything.  I got up after about 45 minutes to take a shower, just to get away from the obnoxiously loud and poorly-conceived crapfest.

Don't waste your time.

Thumbs down then?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!   it was way too rushed, loud, and obnoxious that I am surprised you didn't have a seizure or two, or possibly die from lack of sentient storytelling.  The songs were boring enough to kill, too.

I stand by my review.

I’ll meet you partway; I agree that Disney “tried to do everything”. We were calling out similarities with other Disney pics while watching. But I won’t go so far as to says it’s “obnoxiously loud and poorly conceived.” I liked the songs, which were clearly influenced by Lin Manuel Miranda, and the story has magical realism similar to Garcia-Marquez. It is a movie “for Hispanic people.” Welcome to our world. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

It is a movie “for Hispanic people.” Welcome to our world. 

I am fine with movies for hispanic people, I just wish it was a good movie for hispanic people instead that crapfest that was splashed onscreen.   

We should watch a different movie and eat caramel corn when we visit next.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am fine with movies for hispanic people, I just wish it was a good movie for hispanic people instead that crapfest that was splashed onscreen. 

Have you seen West Side Story, yet? Reviews are all over the place. But I liked it.

• Heart 1

• 2 months later...

2019 Oscar for animation was given to a Torontonian who is Chinese-Canadian and  formally trained film animator:  Entitled Bao. (yes, in the Chinese bun)  She studied at  Sheridan College which is Canadian's premier program for film animation. I personally knew 2 classmates who graduated from the program. I was given an informal tour of the student work areas...it is truly amazing the work they have to do. You do have to submit a qualifying porfolio of work where you must demonstrate real hand drawing skills.

The film was well-received and loved by the Asian community (well, at least it was for Chinese across North America). There are cultural elements in this film if one is Asian-North American, that can translate into universal experiences.

Of course, those who know Toronto, can see little bits of illustration that is part of Toronto. 

I don't know how it was received in mainland China..since the probability of a white girlfriend/spouse in mainland China will, still be very rare.

If you don't know anything about this:  well, some of us do live in different worlds...

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

If you don't know anything about this:  well, some of us do live in different worlds...

...I decided it was impossible to address all the concerns with this film, (Encanto,) of someone who was raised in "the Paris of Ohio". At least in the space of an internet post.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I decided it was impossible to address all the concerns with this film, (Encanto,) of someone who was raised in "the Paris of Ohio". At least in the space of an internet post.

Encanto is probably a longer film.

Bao is quite short. Try it and tell me what you think. 

• Thank You 1

...I had a Chinese American friend in the fire department who came up here from San Francisco, because it was so hard to get hired in the fire department there, and he got an offer here. He tried over the years to explain his family's relationship to food, and I guess I got some of it, from the experiences I had with the Jewish American side of my family.  

That, and I know a good steamed bun from a bad steamed bun, from many years of eating them.

It was from Wendell that I first learned the trick of smashing a garlic clove with the flat of the knife, as a quick way of peeling them.

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I had a Chinese American friend in the fire department who came up here from San Francisco, because it was so hard to get hired in the fire department there, and he got an offer here. He tried over the years to explain his family's relationship to food, and I guess I got some of it, from the experiences I had with the Jewish American side of my family.  

That, and I know a good steamed bun from a bad steamed bun, from many years of eating them.

It was from Wendell that I first learned the trick of smashing a garlic clove with the flat of the knife, as a quick way of peeling them.

I personally find it interesting there was a time period when the most enthusiastic food bloggers were English speaking Asians.   (How do they manage their weight anyway, plus food blogging??)

When a person loses alot of their mother tongue fluency, the cuisine becomes  something very tangible that's cloaked in centuries of folklore, technique and creativity...plus it's easier/more enjoyable to cook Chinese dishes and share it. The key here: is memorize dishes by  technique, ingredients and just cook it by instinct. Like speaking a language, it becomes close to the person.  If  you no  longer can speak/read/write the language, then what is culturally left for an assimilated person?

• your racial identity
  • your family history stories & broader community/diaspora histories
  • current issues that community is trying resolve
  • certain concepts only best expressed in the mother tongue, not fully translatable in another language
  • a certain hobbies..  Ok, sure this is where kung fu, qui gong, tai chi come in.  A huge  amount of styles to choose/learn /master.  Chinese watercolour painting is totally different in technique than  Western watercolour painting.  I took a course and know its demands.

There is a  traditional  Chinese line of thinking that food..is medicine. It can be, if one prepares and eats balanced  meals, certain dishes.  So then we go off into other branches of cultural history,.....which verges onto Chinese medicine, ying-yang balance.

Above all, food  binds together any socio-linguistic gaps between multiple generations. Even if that "bond" is temporary before any disagreements resurface again. :flirtyeyess: Really important.

I am certain Jewish diaspora worldwide have core stories for certain dishes PLUS additional historic underpinnings for localized dishes which are unique Jewish.

• Thank You 1