How do you avoid a second stroke?

Square Wheels

I don't have a lot of experience, but when an woman around 70 on my block had a stroke, she was told to do a lot of walking.

She didn't like long walks, but her husband made sure she did - about a mile - and walked with her, passing by our house every day.

She lived for at least a decade afterward, in good health and was a great Polish cuisine cook - so I'm sure she didn't go on a salad diet.

Not sure. I haven’t had one yet but they run in the family. My dad’s father had an aneurysm in his 40’s and died a few months after the event. Dad had an aneurysm in his early 30’s. I remember the ambulance taking him to the hospital. They were able to reduce the threat and he lived to be 76. I had a scan or something in my late 30’s and had no issues. I’m not sure if it was no aneurysm or no brain, doctor didn’t specify. I try to eat well and keep stress levels low. The doctor who did the scan did ask me why I was so calm about the whole situation. I said that worrying about it wasn’t going to solve anything. I’ll stick to the facts and not let the “what-might-be’s” bother me. It’s worked so far.

• Heart 1

Just now, Square Wheels said:

Tuesday I probably had 4 little ones.  Yesterday I had a bigger one, a trip to the ED, Code Stroke a million dollars in tests, and drugs for life.

No immediate lasting effects, a little finger numbness, I suspect it will resolve.

I feel really lucky.

You are really lucky and sorry for your condition, SW.  What anticoagulant did they put you on? 

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Technically, none.  Plavix for 21 days.  Lipitor (even though my cholesterol was 182) for life.  Aspirin for life.  Get evaluate for hypertension.

Good luck.  Reduce stress!  research the negative side effects of statins so you recognize the signs just in case. 

• Hugs 1

17 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Tuesday I probably had 4 little ones.  Yesterday I had a bigger one, a trip to the ED, Code Stroke a million dollars in tests, and drugs for life.

No immediate lasting effects, a little finger numbness, I suspect it will resolve.

I feel really lucky.

I’m real sorry SW. But don’t lose this opportunity to make positive changes in your life. Time to do things differently. Please don’t dismiss this. 

• Hugs 1

34 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Get evaluated for hypertension.

I think you should definitely want to reduce your BP to reduce your chances of a stroke.  What is it now?  Do you monitor it?  I check mine regularly due to a family history of heart disease.  It doesn't hurt to get it down to 100/60 or so.  That is where mine is, but I have to take drugs to keep it there.  

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

I think you should definitely want to reduce your BP to reduce your chances of a stroke.  What is it now?  Do you monitor it?  I check mine regularly due to a family history of heart disease.  It doesn't hurt to get it down to 100/60 or so.  That is where mine is, but I have to take drugs to keep it there.  

In the ED yesterday I think 184/113 or so?  They said at that time, it was to my benefit to help reduce the stroke damage.

If I took it now, maybe xxx/95.  I see my primary Monday.  I will leave with lisinopril.  That's what I was on for a decade or so.  I lost weight, exercised, and kept it controlled.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I lost weight, exercised, and kept it controlled.

I did the same.  But I would still have episodes when it elevated for no apparent reason.  Especially in the middle of the night, which also happened to my grandfather and my mother.  So I went back on Toprol and now everything remains pretty constant and well controlled.  I'm not familiar with how a higher pressure may help alleviate the immediate effects of a stroke, but long term and to prevent future strokes, I would think that the lower your pressure, the better.

I once asked my mother's cardiologist, who was always trying to lower my mother's BP, what pressure would be considered too low.  He said, half-jokingly I think, if you aren't passing out, it's all good.  :)  

My father had a stroke at 50, my brother at 52. Both had heart attacks around that time as well. My father didn't exercise at all,  my brother some. 

Big difference between them and I  is I have always exercised a lot even in my worst shape. 

And I hardly ever consume alcohol.  1/2 a beer every 20 years and maybe 2 margaritas every 6 years. 😃 

I wonder if that has been a factor in the difference between me and them. 

Do what you can to take care of yourself.  Gina's son had a massive frontal  stroke at 32,  with 20 smaller around the rest of the brain.  He was just about a vegetable for a year.  Now at 36. He has improved but can't dial a cell, ise the TV remote, or walk more than 30 yards. 

Do what you can to avoid this condition. 

Good luck.👊

47 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Yup, planning to.  I need to lose weight.  My diet is pretty good, just need to eat less of it.  I'll likely stop what little drinking I do.  Aside for the tendonitis issue, I think I am all set on exercise.  Never smoked, never will.  Never done drugs, probably won't.

Need to start meditating again.

I was thinking about easing off the job responsibilities. That big fat salary isn’t going to mean much dead. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Rattlecan said:

Sorry to hear this SW. I have no advice to give, but thoughts are with you.

This.  I had no idea this was a  serious thread at all until you clarified.  Stress is a killer for sure, so take it as easy as possible.

It sounds like you did get lucky, and damage is minimal and recoverable.  I wouldn't worry so much about brain damage, you sound the same to me, plus brain damage hasn't stopped my posting at all.  Fingers crossed here!

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This.  I had no idea this was a  serious thread at all until you clarified.  Stress is a killer for sure, so take it as easy as possible.

It sounds like you did get lucky, and damage is minimal and recoverable.  I wouldn't worry so much about brain damage, you sound the same to me, plus brain damage hasn't stopped my posting at all.  Fingers crossed here!

👍

On 12/31/2021 at 8:37 AM, Square Wheels said:

I am very sorry to hear this.  How are you doing today?

I haven't eaten in over a week so it's hard really to tell. This feels like a better than most morning. Most days it has been impossible to get out of bed.  

Tell me more about your stroke. Sounds like you have some excellent care. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

13 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I feel really lucky.

Oh dear. I don’t have any words of wisdom but am thinking of you with love and concern. 

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Hugs 1

On 12/30/2021 at 6:13 PM, Square Wheels said:

I feel really lucky.

I didn't realize you had a stroke until you convinced @bikeman564™ to take over the forum.

Prayers for you and your family that you fully recover.

On 12/30/2021 at 7:27 PM, Dottles said:

I was thinking about easing off the job responsibilities. That big fat salary isn’t going to mean much dead. 

Yeah...   I could count on 2 hands (or less) how many times I was home sick from work in 38 years.  And then in 2016 I made up for that with nearly 3 weeks in the hospital.  It still took me one more year before I said F' it and I retired at 62.   Two years ago (or more, it was before the virus) I went to a retirement party.  I saw many people I used to work with.  Many told me that I looked soooo much better, and they commented about how I didn't look stressed at all.   They were correct.  

• Heart 3