I find online grocery shopping to be stressful

Randomguy

I've only done it when I've been home sick and needed some specific items.  I tend to view it sort of like Christmas - I ask for a bunch of stuff but it's all sort of a surprise when I open the packages and see what I actually got.  But I do like the idea of stuff just showing up at my doorstep.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I haven't yet done this RG. Why are you doing it? Just easier on the brain ie. covid, etc.?

I never had before the start of the pandemic, once that hit you really had to wait in line to get in stores, which really sucked.   Online orders got around this problem.

It did offer convenience in a way, too.  In the big city, you just can't bop in a car and load it up with groceries, you are limited to what you can carry by hand here.  Online groceries do bring it all to you at once.  If all you are doing is reordering the same things, then it is super easy.  Otherwise, it kind of sucks and you are limited to what they have in stock.

33 minutes ago, Further said:

No way in hell I'm letting someone I don't know pick out my produce or meat

Yeah, I don't do that either.  I have seen the Whole Foods shoppers, they just grab the first thing they see.  Time is money and they don't give a crap if you get a good tomato or pepper,  for instance, it is all the same to them.

7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I've only done it when I've been home sick and needed some specific items.  I tend to view it sort of like Christmas - I ask for a bunch of stuff but it's all sort of a surprise when I open the packages and see what I actually got.  But I do like the idea of stuff just showing up at my doorstep.

I tell them 'no substitutions', I would rather not get what I ordered than get what I didn't order.

We have done it sometimes during the pandemic but only for products that don't require a lot of handling and choice.  Meats and veggies I still pick out by hand in the wee hours of the morning when nobody is awake and shopping.  I don't know how that would work out in an urban environment though.  

You're just screwed RG.

I do not like it.  I don't have enough control.  

Going to the grocery is inspiring to me.  I love the produce section.  Also, I lik the idea what when I am there, I can see all the sales.  We are bargain hunters.  You don't get to see the buy or die bin wit the online platform.  I always check out what it there.  Brie for $2, Fancy sausage for $1, etc.  

We never had to wait in line to get in a store.  We just don't have the population here to warrant that.  Also, I think we like coved.  Most of the stores are at least 70% of people that will not wear a mask and likely no vax either.  We are a sad 50% vax rate.  

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, Randomguy said:

You just don't get to visually see your options in a manner that makes any sense at all, and it is a pain in the ass.  Plus, you don't see what other things you might just want to get because you see them while walking by.

The end.

Agreed

WoW does online shopping for her mom because she has a hard time finding some of the items MIL likes. We are going to pay the $10/month for the delivery subscription when we move. She will still be able to shop for her mom Sven though we are 1200 miles away!

During the worst of the pandemic she did some of ours online as well. We still prefer to get our own produce and meat so it makes more sense to go in. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

15 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I never had before the start of the pandemic, once that hit you really had to wait in line to get in stores, which really sucked.   Online orders got around this problem.

It did offer convenience in a way, too.  In the big city, you just can't bop in a car and load it up with groceries, you are limited to what you can carry by hand here.  Online groceries do bring it all to you at once.  If all you are doing is reordering the same things, then it is super easy.  Otherwise, it kind of sucks and you are limited to what they have in stock.

Yeah, I don't do that either.  I have seen the Whole Foods shoppers, they just grab the first thing they see.  Time is money and they don't give a crap if you get a good tomato or pepper,  for instance, it is all the same to them.

I guess it makes one reflect in the future how it can be handled. For sure, all non-perishables  for me, would be online shopping if I wasn't mobile at all.  Then if there was a friend or neighbour available at the time, I would give the perishable list to them and this is one area I could split cost with them if they wanted, for especially veggies and fruits in season, when the pricing is good and choices are alot better.

I just came back from walking 15 min. @-28 degrees C(sunny with -33 degrees C windchill) in snow (ploughed ped-bike paths where I am. Am lucky I live in a neighbourhood where this is done.) and carried along: a pkg. of fresh noodles, yogurt tub, a hand blender gift, slices of ham, a bag of  prepped Thai coconut soup for 2 meals, small wedge of cheese, toothpaste, biscotti :), etc.  

I know that alot of forumites wouldn't want to live how I live (walking /biking very short distance :flirtyeyess: to shop, eat, etc.).. Well, in the end ie. 20-30 yrs. later, most of us will need  online grocery shopping or someone to be grocery shopper for us. 

6 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

We never had to wait in line to get in a store.  We just don't have the population here to warrant that.  Also, I think we like coved.  Most of the stores are at least 70% of people that will not wear a mask and likely no vax either.  We are a sad 50% vax rate.  

Wow.  Ever since  pandemic start, and now in all major chain grocery stores where I go in my city..in the downtown core and I'm talking about 4 different stores, masking of others, to me whenever I'm  shopping visually looks:  98% customers and  100% of course for employees.   I never worried when I walk into the grocery stores where I go. I shop usually morning on weekends or after work. I shop at a leisurely pace in store. No fear. I like where I shop and employees are good.

These are national chains. I'm in a province that is perceived as  more redneck.  We do have significant infection rate right now.   I go out shopping....I've had  my 3rd shot (booster).

I don't know what it's like out in the suburban grocery stores. 

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

We have done it sometimes during the pandemic but only for products that don't require a lot of handling and choice.  Meats and veggies I still pick out by hand in the wee hours of the morning when nobody is awake and shopping.  I don't know how that would work out in an urban environment though.  

You're just screwed RG.

I think all cities can't be painted as bad/riddled with infection. See above in my last comment.  I actually think people who live in highrises, condos have a greater awareness and try to be safe. Because one lives in a building where you share certain common services, the elevator, etc. It's a type of mentality where detached home owners might have a hard/difficult time getting used to...

Right at the front public door secured, entry of our condo building before you enter and also, by the elevator, there is our signage of the city's warning for public spaces, to mask up and social distance. 

To me, it's not an imposition in public spaces in a home building.  But I can see some people getting all huffy about personal space and freedoms, blah, blah.

Not only don't I do the online grocery shopping, I find the person with the online shopping cart list really distracting and obnoxious as they pull the items off the shelf to fulfill the order. They don't go any order following the store layout, but zig zag, totally oblivious of actual shoppers as they cut in front of them. Granted they may have a time efficiency standard, but it seems the computer should sort the list following the store layout.

• Heart 1

On 12/30/2021 at 10:51 PM, Randomguy said:

You just don't get to visually see your options in a manner that makes any sense at all, and it is a pain in the ass.  Plus, you don't see what other things you might just want to get because you see them while walking by.

The end.

Personally, I like looking at the marbling of meat, feeling the freshness of bread, avoiding too-soft tomatoes, looking for the latest expiration date on milk containers, etc. etc. and haven't ever shopped online for groceries, not even during the shelter-at-home period of the pandemic.

I have two cousins, a mother and daughter, that do online shopping due to bad legs - at least the daughter claims it, the 83 year-old mother definitely does.

The 83 year-old, who gives her daughter her order, complains that she ends up with substitute products and some things are out of stock. Produce isn't always as fresh as she hoped.  I guess she'd find out about most of  that if she ordered herself.