I don't love technology

Randomguy

This is probably why I am not in IT anymore.  I like what technology does in terms of making things easier, but I don't geek out on it for its own sake the way the real tech wonks do.

Anyway, I don't feel that technology has made anyone's lives easier the last several years, the opposite seems to have taken place.  Windows8 is preventing ease of use for millions of people in terms of user interface, and there seems to be a lack of a prime mover in driving a change that people want.  Apple certainly isn't the answer, as they do incredibly bumblefucked things, as much as microsoft does.  Google seems to be doing much more to simplify, of all the tech companies out there.

I am in a babbling mood right now, am I making sense?

people have bullshitted themselves into thinking that using a digital gizmo means they are:

a. - hip

b. - smart

c. - productive

it is a farce. It is like thinking Facebook friends means you have a life. Like thinking your GPS means you know WTF you are

As far as I can tell, all the "connectedness" is just stressing people out and taking time out of their lives

• Heart 2

I still have XP at work.  I hope to have Win7 by the end of the year.  Like most big places, we'll skip over WIn8.

I have a Galaxy IV for my phone.  It's pretty high tech, faster and more capable than my first PC.  I don't think I know how to use 1/10th of what it's capable of.

I like technology, and I used to need to latest and greatest as soon as it came out.  I'm pretty over that though.  I think a lot of it is a fad, but some things are good.  I like streaming Netflix.  Instant gratification.  I like banking / shopping online.

I think we are paying the price of having the compatibility and ease of a "standard" OS.  Even with Apple as an alternative, the giant MicroSoft has no real competition, so they feed us crap like 8 and we have to eat it.  Monopolies are bad for everyone in the long run.

Yes, monopolies are bad.  I think google is on the right track with the chromebook line, I hope they are doing well with it.

I think we are paying the price of having the compatibility and ease of a "standard" OS.  Even with Apple as an alternative, the giant MicroSoft has no real competition, so they feed us crap like 8 and we have to eat it.  Monopolies are bad for everyone in the long run.

MINT LINUX

Easy to load and setup anymore.  I'm actually looking at getting new PC to use as a media server now because it's cheaper to buy a PC than build one.  First thing I'll do is wipe Windows 8 off the HD (since they all come with it) and put Linux on.

MINT LINUX

Easy to load and setup anymore.  I'm actually looking at getting new PC to use as a media server now because it's cheaper to buy a PC than build one.  First thing I'll do is wipe Windows 8 off the HD (since they all come with it) and put Linux on.

Could I just plant that onto my laptop?  What issues would I be looking at?

hey, Windows 8 is actually pretty cool from a developer standpoint. Provided you can cope with XAML and have some imaginiation

but my experience over 20 years of software engineering is that the only thing that really makes users happy is leaving fresh straw in their cubes

Could I just plant that onto my laptop?  What issues would I be looking at?

Yes, shouldn't be any unless you use a lot of VBA scripts and need office.  Grab an image, load it on a flash drive (there's a utility that does this automatically) and boot it off the flash drive and test it out before you make it permanent.

You could also go dual boot and Linux is supposed to do this automatically at install if you want, but I haven't messed with that in years.  Wine has gotten better at running a lot of windows programs on Linux too.

And while Ubuntu may be the number one Linux OS out there, they are pissing off a lot of users with their forced updates now too.  So Mint is really gaining in popularity as they don't believe in complete system upgrades, just upgrading the packages that need it, but not a complete OS upgrade, they prefer you do a full reinstall if that is what you want.

Mint is now the 4th most popular OS used.

hey, Windows 8 is actually pretty cool from a developer standpoint. Provided you can cope with XAML and have some imaginiation

but my experience over 20 years of software engineering is that the only thing that really makes users happy is leaving fresh straw in their cubes

I'm getting too old to deal with learning another freaking language...hell, Clipper 5.2e did more than I needed it to do.