Jump to content

Don't look up - Movie review


Square Wheels
 Share

Recommended Posts

We just finished watching it 10 minutes ago. I think the intent was more a commentary on the current political climate than trying to be funny.

I wasn't doing anything anyway, so I guess I can just write those two hours off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was a movie, and movies are a crapshoot.  
 
That said, I didn’t think it was horrible, but middling at very best.  Definitely satire, heavy handed and obvious.  Making fun of the red hat types, which is pretty easy to be honest.  It makes its points,  it then belabors the hell out of them. 
 

Nobody on the red hat side will see it or do anything but rail against it.  Echo chamber stuff for the other side, too. Nobody’s opinions will change. 
 

Kinda worth a look to see what the fuss is about, but only if you have free time and nothing else jumps out at you, and you are fine with that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

It needed 45 minutes of editing.  WTF was there even 5 seconds of a song performance??? Seriously? WTF???  

I think most comedies are way overlong and not super-well thought-out.

If you will notice, the first half of most comedies is generally pretty good.  Lots of jokes and funny situations, etc.  Then, all hell breaks loose and the writers feel compelled to advance the actual story in the second half in a very linear way, forgetting that keeping it funny is important.  Most comedies fall into this trap.

Very few comedies are funny throughout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I think most comedies are way overlong and not super-well thought-out.

If you will notice, the first half of most comedies is generally pretty good.  Lots of jokes and funny situations, etc.  Then, all hell breaks loose and the writers feel compelled to advance the actual story in the second half in a very linear way, forgetting that keeping it funny is important.  Most comedies fall into this trap.

Very few comedies are funny throughout.

What recent funny comedies have therebeen?  Aboot the latest I can think of is maybe Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, and that was an amazing 18 years ago now!  Hopefully I am missing something.  I don't want to be so old fashioned but we need more classics like Airplane!, Caddyshack, Office Space, and Dumb and Dumber.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Not too recent, but The Heat and Identity Thief - both with Melissa McCarthy - are a hoot.  The first Hangover movie was funny.

I might check those out - The Identity Thief sounds ok, I like her and Jason Bateman, but got some pretty bad reviews!  Similar for The Heat.

So here is a top 100 list - recent ones I might check oot are Ladybird from 2017 (not Ladybird Johnson, BTW!) and a few others, anything past 2015 or so to get recent.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/top_100_comedy_movies/

Here's one for @Road Runner - The Philadelphia Story from 1940 - first I ever heared of it.  Wrong Helbprn, but still seems notable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I might check those out - The Identity Thief sounds ok, I like her and Jason Bateman, but got some pretty bad reviews!  Similar for The Heat.

So here is a top 100 list - recent ones I might check oot are Ladybird from 2017 (not Ladybird Johnson, BTW!) and a few others, anything past 2015 or so to get recent.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/top_100_comedy_movies/

Here's one for @Road Runner - The Philadelphia Story from 1940 - first I ever heared of it.  Wrong Helbprn, but still seems notable.

Soooooooooo many of those are NOT comedies at all, the list compiler should be put on an ice floe.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Soooooooooo many of those are NOT comedies at all, the list compiler should be put on an ice floe.

So AFI then?  That list only had airplane at 64, none of the rest of the standards atoll, so I tend to agree. :D  I didn’t even notice some like it hot which I think is the AFI top one, be that as it may.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

So AFI then?  That list only had airplane at 64, none of the rest of the standards atoll, so I tend to agree. :D  I didn’t even notice some like it hot which I think is the AFI top one, be that as it may.  

 

Not only are most of the movies on the RT list not comedies, many of them outright suck, too.  Head scratching list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

What recent funny comedies have therebeen? 

Thinking on this, more are on the small screen these days.  Really, a 20-45 min comedy show is where the good stuff is.  Lots of options too - from cartoon stuff (10 yr old Tom is funny), to classics like Curb to darker/quirky comedies to something like Schitts Creek to the slew of The Office copies.  And that's pretty good since that's more in how I watch TV now.  I don't plunk down for many three hour movies anymore. I break them into chunks, and those chunks are usually less than an hour.  A good comedy series will easily have us watch one or two in a row and be satisfied - wanting to watch more, but able to come back later. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...