I love getting to know really nice people.

Razors Edge

35 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Wilbur's thread got me thinking.  I know a lot of "successful" and "rich" people. I also know a lot of "nice" people.  

All things considered, I really appreciate all the nice people - rich and poor, successful or not, old and young, smart or different - that I know and interact with or even just sometimes share a brief moment of kindness & shared humanity.

It's actually quite great to have simply "good" people in one's orbit.  And there really is a lot to be said for just being around nice folks.

Happy New Year to all of those "nice" folks here in the Cafe!  

Unlike Wilbur's work world of people with $$$$$$  (how many more $ ??), I just tend to know nice people who live ordinary lives, give their time on a voluntary basis or just live a relatively conflict-free family life.

I've known and volunteered in some non-profit organizations where also there were some incredible volunteers who themselves had full-time jobs working with low income clients /clients who needed alot of counselling. These are people who put in well over 20 hrs. of volunteer hrs. / month. Then on top of all that volunteer work, they are in the eye of news media and  Internet commenters for their volunteer work. Some of the comments aren't pretty.  

I have several long-time friends and others more distant, who have worked / are working in non-profits and know how much effort and time they have spent persuading parties to fund certain services, training staff ...well as direct service to the public /their client groups who need their support/expertise. Some overtime hrs. where they don't ask to be paid nor expect. 

Pandemic has highlighted in some ways, the goodness of people / people who all along care/want to be there for family/friends vs. other tough situations where there is conflict/abuse at home, plus what the role of government / public bodies should minimally be to get lots of people heading into a better, healthier future.

• Heart 1

Nice is nice, that;'s what they say.

When I think of nice I always think of staying with my grandparents in a small town in southren WV.  It seemed like Mayberry or Petticoat Junction or something to me, people were so friendly and slow paced compared to up north in PA and OH.  Now western PA seems that way to me since I live in more fast-paced suburban Philly.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

RE likes nice guys because they finish last. Makes it easy on him.

Well, there is that!

53 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Pretty certain RE would blast past dearie

Not necessarily true when he was my age.  I got the impression he was quite a strong rider, so I wouldn't likely blast by him, and would likely resort to tricks & tactics :whistle:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, there is that!

Not necessarily true when he was my age.  I got the impression he was quite a strong rider, so I wouldn't likely blast by him, and would likely resort to tricks & tactics :whistle:

Just because he cycled solo across Canada twice didn't make  him a fast rider.:unsure: More  mental for that type of riding. He did  cycle from VAncouver to Toronto in 45 days...which to him, was pushing it. That was the year of 911.