Jump to content

I’m in pure glee and shock at the same time


KrAzY
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

That is surprising that he said yes for sure.

For all I know.. in his head he might just think he is gonna walk through the woods while I do all the work.. I’m good with that, but he will sooner or later get his hands dirty🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

So the question he needs to answer now is.. Bow or gun,

Cool. I never hunted but my Dad did when I was young. I never was good at shooting a bow. I tired a few times, he had a hay bail target in our garage. I think its the strength required and to maintain a position with it under load. He shot recurve. Had a really nice custom one also. Gun wise I was and probably still am decent. This seems easier to steady and hit a target IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Cool. I never hunted but my Dad did when I was young. I never was good at shooting a bow. I tired a few times, he had a hay bail target in our garage. I think its the strength required and to maintain a position with it under load. He shot recurve. Had a really nice custom one also. Gun wise I was and probably still am decent. This seems easier to steady and hit a target IMO.

A recurve is a tad hard to use, but a compound is much better suited for hunting. Once you pull the string back and the cams are open, it takes almost nothing to hold it there for a while. Plus you get to also have a peep sight and an adjustable sight. 
I have a couple guns that he has shot, but if he chooses gun, I want to get him a 30-06 bolt action.. it will make him think his shots instead of just squeezing a few rounds off. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never truly hunted with Dad. I think that was his time for himself. By the time we got to the age he wanted to take us hunting, we had other interests. I did shoot and kill a few small animals. I didn’t get the rush some do when they hunt. 
Im an animal lover, but I understand the necessity of hunting. We have decimated predator populations giving rise to their prey in nuisance and unhealthy levels. It is necessary to hunt them to keep populations in check. I applaud that you don’t let them go to waste!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

WoK said I should start hunting again, just to help cut the cost we spend for meat on the table. I joked and asked my 13 year old if he wanted to learn to hunt.. knowing he is an animal lover and does not want any to be hurt.. He actually told me yes, he wants to learn.. 

I told him I will work on finding a hunter education class for him soon that he can take, I want to do this right. Not like when I was a kid and my parents said.. just go kill something. 
So the question he needs to answer now is.. Bow or gun, but I told him we start off small and then he can work his way up to big game.. also now I got to remember where all my stuff is.. I know the bow is in the garage, guns in the safe, but my field dressing kit was lost in the move along with some of my camo.. 

I’m more shocked at a kid in todays world wanting to hunt. The number of young hunters has dropped greatly over the years. 

does this also give me the opportunity to just go buy another rifle:)

also.. we don’t kill for sport. Almost every part of the critter is used for something. 

Gun for sure!  Too much chance of a wounding of an animal with the bow, I feel, guns get it done.

Nice that he said yes.  Hunting is taking part in the food chain, and probably a better appreciation of cooking as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I want to get him a 30-06 bolt action.. it will make him think his shots instead of just squeezing a few rounds off. 

This will be cheaper :D
 

I never shot a compound bow, but yes I know they're better for hunting and easier to hold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, groupw said:

I never truly hunted with Dad. I think that was his time for himself. By the time we got to the age he wanted to take us hunting, we had other interests. I did shoot and kill a few small animals. I didn’t get the rush some do when they hunt. 
Im an animal lover, but I understand the necessity of hunting. We have decimated predator populations giving rise to their prey in nuisance and unhealthy levels. It is necessary to hunt them to keep populations in check. I applaud that you don’t let them go to waste!

I am the only one from my family that hunts. They were all to yuppish to even walk in the woods. Anything I hunted was given to my neighbors that were farmers. I mostly got the varmints and predators off their lands for them. 
every now and then I would get a few squirrels and cook them while over night camping in the woods.. never big game until I moved out and was in charge of feeding myself. 
I never got a rush from hunting yet, mostly because I always had the thought.. “well shit.. now I gotta drag this 1/4 mile out of the woods”. 
 

57 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Gun for sure!  Too much chance of a wounding of an animal with the bow, I feel, guns get it done.

Nice that he said yes.  Hunting is taking part in the food chain, and probably a better appreciation of cooking as well.

guns are good for sure, but I have bagged bucks before with healed gunshot wounds. 
I personally also think that a gun will make you take a shot you shouldn’t, and also depending on ammo used.. you have to try and think on what’s behind your target and how far is that projectile gonna travel. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hunting is part of culture here. Kids, men, women all hunt.

The best hunter I know is a woman. She guided other women elk hunting in NM recently. Taught them how to shoot, hunt, butcher, and cook an elk. The story should be in Bon Appetit this year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, denniS said:

Hunting is part of culture here. Kids, men, women all hunt.

The best hunter I know is a woman. She guided other women elk hunting in NM recently. Taught them how to shoot, hunt, butcher, and cook an elk. The story should be in Bon Appetit this year.

I would love to elk hunt, but that’s A LOT of meat to haul out of the woods! You need at least a great shot so you don’t have to track, and easy access with a truck or 4 wheeler. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I didn’t live in such a built up area I’d probably hunt.  Being close to the water the only hunting I can do is fish.  

I did some hunting & the military and enjoyed it.  If I gotta slog through the bush with a weapon I’d rather hunt than soldier…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I would love to elk hunt, but that’s A LOT of meat to haul out of the woods! You need at least a great shot so you don’t have to track, and easy access with a truck or 4 wheeler. 

It takes four trips. One for each quarter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, denniS said:

https://honest-food.net/

Hank Shaw is great. His books and podcast are awesome. I just bought Buck, Buck, Moose as well as Pheasant,Quilt, Cottontail. I ordered Hook,Line,Supper too. All are good.

I’ll have to look into them.. I fish a few times a month, only keep certain sizes, and toss the rest back. In a few days they are dropping baby rainbow trout into a pond nearby for people to fish.. daily bag limit is 5, and you get about a pound of food.. kind of sucks if you ask me since they are so small. 
 

I have a friend with a cottontail problem.. her husband wants to just blow them all away.. told her I’ll come up and get rid of them for her.. I don’t mind a freezer full of rabbit. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, denniS said:

It takes four trips. One for each quarter.

That’s too much work for me😂

by the time I got the first quarter out, the wolves and coyotes would have gotten the rest.. if I can’t fit it on my sled for a one trip out, it’s too big

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KrAzY said:

I’ll have to look into them.. I fish a few times a month, only keep certain sizes, and toss the rest back. In a few days they are dropping baby rainbow trout into a pond nearby for people to fish.. daily bag limit is 5, and you get about a pound of food.. kind of sucks if you ask me since they are so small. 
 

I have a friend with a cottontail problem.. her husband wants to just blow them all away.. told her I’ll come up and get rid of them for her.. I don’t mind a freezer full of rabbit. 

Hank has great advice about hares and rabbits. And recipes. It's worth a read. My library has them so I checked them out before buying.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grew up hunting, but not for Deer or food game.  I was the farm's pest control person looking for the woodchucks that made the huge holes in the fields or the fox that tore up the chicken coop.  I don't live on a farm any more so I feed them instead of hunting them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KrAzY said:

That’s too much work for me😂

by the time I got the first quarter out, the wolves and coyotes would have gotten the rest.. if I can’t fit it on my sled for a one trip out, it’s too big

One elk can feed your family for a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, KrAzY said:

joked and asked my 13 year old if he wanted to learn to hunt.. knowing he is an animal lover and does not want any to be hurt.. He actually told me yes, he wants to learn.

There is a good chance he just wants to spend more time with you and that is ok. My youngest son said he wanted to hunt with me and took hunter safety course. We had a good time hunting together but he didn’t seem too anxious to shoot anything. He told me years later that he hoped we didn’t see anything to shoot at. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Better start looking for ammo sooner that later.   Some calibers are difficult to find. 

Any store near the city is dry of ammo, that’s why I get any caliber I need about an hour from where I live. The country stores are not selling out because country folk know better then to stock up, plus there is no buying limit. 
I like to go the range a lot, so I’m sitting on a nice little stockpile already. 

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

There is a good chance he just wants to spend more time with you and that is ok. My youngest son said he wanted to hunt with me and took hunter safety course. We had a good time hunting together but he didn’t seem too anxious to shoot anything. He told me years later that he hoped we didn’t see anything to shoot at. 


that’s cool.. I would not mind spending time with him.. personally I don’t care if he gets anything, just as long as he has fun trying. 
min more scared of how heavy footed he is while out walking to scre the wildlife away 😂

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Any store near the city is dry of ammo, that’s why I get any caliber I need about an hour from where I live. The country stores are not selling out because country folk know better then to stock up, plus there is no buying limit. 
I like to go the range a lot, so I’m sitting on a nice little stockpile already. 


that’s cool.. I would not mind spending time with him.. personally I don’t care if he gets anything, just as long as he has fun trying. 
min more scared of how heavy footed he is while out walking to scre the wildlife away 😂

 

Dad taught us to walk quietly from a very young age. Even now I accidentally startle people because they don’t hear me walk up to them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, groupw said:

Dad taught us to walk quietly from a very young age. Even now I accidentally startle people because they don’t hear me walk up to them. 

I do the same.. no noise is a good noise, but my youngest is an clumsy kid.. I’m betting he falls three times getting out of the truck and into the woods line. I do not have high hopes, but he is teachable

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...