Do you know how to do CPR?

Randomguy

I know how to do CPR with or without breaths, though my technique is surely out of date since my last refresher course was in 2002.

To be a regular high school sports coach in Maryland, you need to take a college-level course in Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries, Red Cross Standard First Aid, and annual American Heart Association CPR.

We would laugh because the CPR instructions for the Red Cross and American Heart Assn. were DIFFERENT from each other.  We had the same instructor for both who would do CPR one day in the summer, First Aid beginning the next and say, "Now I have to teach you Heart Assn. CPR - it's different than what I taught you yesterday.

Note that some U.S. States allow you to be sued if you haven't renewed your CPR card recently and performed it on someone.

This has occurred even when someone was saved through CPR or being carried out of a fire when no one else was available to save people.

In California some years, a woman sued a man who stopped his car, got out and carried her, unconscious, from her burning car and saved her life.  She said he damaged her bad neck!  She was awarded $50,000!  I don't know if it was appealed.

Most states have passed a "Good Samaritan Law" to protect people who try to save others.

Several years ago, there was a video of a man who had collapsed and passed out in the middle of a street in Connecticut and passersby ignored him and cars carefully drove around him.  ABC News ripped the citizens up.

But I commented that Connecticut did NOT have a Good Samaritan Law!  In other words, Connecticut's government wanted you to risk being sued for all your worth if you try to help someone without medical credentials.  If the same thing had happened in almost every other state on the East Coast, ABC would rightfully be upset - but it should only have been upset at Connecticut's government in that case.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Note that some U.S. States allow you to be sued if you haven't renewed your CPR card recently and performed it on someone.

This has occurred even when someone was saved through CPR or being carried out of a fire when no one else was available to save people.

In California some years, a woman sued a man who stopped his car, got out and carried her, unconscious, from her burning car and saved her life.  She said he damaged her bad neck!  She was awarded $50,000!  I don't know if it was appealed.

Most states have passed a "Good Samaritan Law" to protect people who try to save others.

Several years ago, there was a video of a man who had collapsed and passed out in the middle of a street in Connecticut and passersby ignored him and cars carefully drove around him.  ABC News ripped the citizens up.

But I commented that Connecticut did NOT have a Good Samaritan Law!  In other words, Connecticut's government wanted you to risk being sued for all your worth if you try to help someone without medical credentials.  If the same thing had happened in almost every other state on the East Coast, ABC would rightfully be upset - but it should only have been upset at Connecticut's government in that case.

Yes I know how to do CPR.  Will I?  Don't know.  I've been the first alternate to two bad head on collisions and on bad roll over and in each case after crawling in to assess the situation I deemed it my job to keep the victims calm and to keep the bystanders from attempting to drag the bodies out until professional help arrived.

We teach CPR.  The whole 'no breaths' thing came about after an extensive study into CPR cases and people who were trained but did nothing.  The #1 reason they didn't?  They did not want to put their mouth on random strangers mouths.  So they switched focus with the idea that doing compressions with no breath is better than doing nothing at all.  But compressions WITH breaths is still the best and most effective option.

• Heart 1

When I worked we were trained in CPR and AEDs.    I'm sure my certification expired at least 1 year ago.

I remember the last class was more about compressions, and breathing if you can.  I'll guess not to many people will do that now since the virus.

Yes.  Commercial pilots are trained annually in Canada.   I have used it many times early in my career as a medevac pilot.  Back then, we picked patients up pretty raw and when workload permitted one of us would go back to assist the medical crew.  Lots of time doing compressions and intubation.  Helped deliver a couple of babies as well. 

I have not been certified for about 3 years now, but I'm guessing it's still about the same as I learnt back then... mostly just chest compressions with an open airway.. hook jumper cable to their nipple and rev the engine... 

3 hours ago, KrAzY said:

I have not been certified for about 3 years now, but I'm guessing it's still about the same as I learnt back then... mostly just chest compressions with an open airway.. hook jumper cable to their nipple and rev the engine... 

You would be surprised to see how much you would learn if you took it again.  To do it right you need one of these.

• Heart 1