In shock: 297.2 lb on Jan. 1, 2022

MickinMD

I weighed myself for the first time in a long time this AM before breakfast.  297.2 lb.  SHOCK!

So the 2000 Cal/day diet - which I want to make a way of life, not a short-term fix - is on beginning today.

If my weight loss ticker - the goal is 239 lb in 12-18 months - (240 begins "obesity" for my height) looks goofy, I'm playing with the info from tickerfactory.com so my weight ticker can be read directly from tickerfactory.com for my signature. It looks like I got it right.  I'll do frequent AM weighings.  I hope to do what I did in 2013:

2034193973_Weightlossat11-7-13-notobese-noid.thumb.jpg.17b299a4763bca7b824909c3cea112d3.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 2

8 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I weighed myself for the first time in a long time this AM before breakfast.  297.2 lb.  SHOCK!

You just need to be about 2 feet taller. 

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Go for it, Mick.

This ^^^

Yeah make the commitment and just follow the 2 simple rules;   Exercise and eat better.   Which is easier said than done.

Just start and work at it, in a few months hopefully it will be a new habit rather than work.

I just wish I would do better at with the eating better part.  That's my task for 2022. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

You just need to be about 2 feet taller. 

This ^^^

Yeah make the commitment and just follow the 2 simple rules;   Exercise and eat better.   Which is easier said than done.

Just start and work at it, in a few months hopefully it will be a new habit rather than work.

I just wish I would do better at with the eating better part.  That's my task for 2022. 

There's always....cycling. No matter how slow. Even  if only 10 km. each day. It gets easier, easier each time.  Working from home is nice but has seriously challenged my motivation to cycle  daily. When I was  commuting...I was forced to bike daily which happily leads to much longer rides after work immediately. That's why I negotiated with last 5 different employers to finish work at 4:00 pm (and start work at 7:30 am), so I could cycle longer after work.

• Heart 1

Go on a low sodium diet. It's easier to lose weight if the food doesn't taste all that good. Since her heart attack she's lost 13 lbs and I've lost 20 lbs. 

I have a buddy who was probably around 500 lbs when he started losing weight. He was 463 lbs when he found a scale that would work for him. Using Weight Watchers and lots of exercise, he got down to 250 lbs but is now back up just over 300 lbs. However he is 6'6".

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

This is my problem too :cheerleader:

Know that you are not alone Mick...I may be making cookies..but they are for work...lifestyle changes...that are for life...a better life.  We can do this..I am guessing there are at least 4 or 5 people here who want to lose 10, 20, pounds or more...

Yep I’m in that boat.  Down to about 217 from a recent high of 232.  I’m trying to keep it right around there if not a bit lower but my weight seems to have stabilized.  

Taking Ozempic had a lot to do with it.  It really curbs your appetite.  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Had you not weighed yourself in a while?  I know my ballpark weight even though I only randomly weigh myself. 

Honestly, though, there are two things you need to focus on now that the house stuff is worked out - being active every day and eating well with many fewer "reward" meals/snacks.  It's a virtuous cycle where the more active you are & the better you eat makes you feel better so you are more active and eat better.  In 2022, food is (and should be) delicious, and healthy food is the equal of all other foods but without the downsides.  Obviously, everyone has their food preferences, but if you find the fruits and veggies that work, it is simply about finding the recipes that make them delicious (and easy) to consume.

Keep a food log.  Start looking at it with a critical eye.  Ask yourself if eating XYZ is worth it - an added ounce, an insulin reaction, an inflammation reaction, or just a waste of calories.  Don't beat yourself up on where you are, but be encouraged by where you are going and the progress you are making.  

Keep an activity log.  Use it to motivate you to see that over time, your efforts can increase or your time to completion goes down or your HR recovers faster or whatever metric(s) motivate you.  I find activity the REAL starting point for getting to and maintaining a healthy weight.  Injury or sickness can slow that, but you need to adapt to any injury that is a real roadblock.  Can't ride? Walk. Can't walk? Swim. Can't swim? Try yoga. Etc. Just be active and focus on being active. Fun active, too, not tedious active.  

You got this, Mick!

• Heart 2

Thanks for all the encouragement.

My past experience with long-term weight loss is that the body tends to lose a lot of water weight when you begin to lose weight - which is why those commercial weight loss programs advertise things like, "Lose 18 pounds in 2 weeks."

My last experience doing what I'm doing now averaged about 5 lbs/month - I was about 15 lbs lighter on a few of my every-3-month diabetic checkup with my doctor.  Then it slowed down to 2-3 lb/month.

I entered my data (height, weight, weight goal, 1 lb/week weight loss, sedentary in SparkAmerica.com's SparkCoach app and got the result below.  Today's breakfast, lunch, and planned dinner add up to 2129 Calories (496 breakfast, 381 lunch, 1252 dinner).  I could snack later tonight on 15 Costco Chocolate Covered Almonds, a handful of pretzels, but 8 oz. of ice cream is too much.

I haven't made McCann's Irish Oatmeal for breakfast or lunch lately: it's 150 Cal. per cup which makes 3 meals, and with an 11 oz.  Honeycrisp Apple and an 8" long banana, that's still only 269 Calories per meal and it's very good, peeling, coring, and cutting the apple into bite-sized pieces and nuking it in 1/4 cup of water for 2 minutes.

image.png.6db3de76d3768410d6ec44eb60e2e714.png

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I’m afraid to weigh myself too. Probably similar results 

This. I’ve been pretty careless last couple months. Want to get and stay below 200 this year. Probably means losing 15-20 pounds and keeping it off. Got a new blood glucose kit and want to use it more. 

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Heck, the Brits have "stone" that really shake things up! 

I thought about putting some stones in my pockets when I weigh in at the doctors. I already weigh ten pounds more on the doctors scale. I should put some weights on the scale and see if it’s accurate. Maybe I just have heavy clothes?

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Further said:

I was doing pretty good until I strained something and had to stop jogging.

drinking more real beer rather than Mick Ultra prolly doesn't help either... 

I try to drink more water separately rather than mixed into the beer.  It is difficult but sometimes I can convince myself into a glass of water rather than another beer. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I thought about putting some stones in my pockets when I weigh in at the doctors. I already weigh ten pounds more on the doctors scale. I should put some weights on the scale and see if it’s accurate. Maybe I just have heavy clothes?

I have that problem too. Well, I certainly don’t need no stinkin’ stones, but I do always weigh 10 pounds more than at home. 

• Awesome 1

Also, sugar and fake sugar are your mortal enemies.  They will be hard to remove.

I suggest trying to eliminate one bad item from your life every now and then.  For instance, agree as of today, you no longer drink any flavored drinks.  Just water.  If you exercise, add the appropriate amount of a high-quality sports drink.  Don't turn back.  Throw away, or give away, anything you have now.  No more soda, diet soda, juice of any kind.  Water, just water.

• Heart 1

I think we could all offer suggestions but..you have to figure out what works best for you..and one thing that works the best is something you can stick to or live with...If nothing else, try to eat less processed food, drink 64 oz or more of water...daily...and watch portion size...

As far as activity goes..work on building up your walks...I got my treadmill to counter temps like our below zero  stuff, darkness and slippery streets.. but you can walk in the daytime.. start out small...I have been walking regularly now so I am increasing my pace..and distance..

Every little bit helps.

• Heart 1

Not sure of your height but I'm 6'1 and was 290. But still riding 3000 per year. 

Doc put me on an 1800 calorie diet. It was tough at first. Dropped down to 235 in 6 months.  Pretty much the weight watchers diet, balanced meals. 

Bowl of Cheerios, half banana,  and some carrots for breakfast. 

Tuna sandwich or boiled chicken sandwich for lunch. Small apple,  cucumbers or carrots. 

Dinner,  3 ounces of steak or salmon grilled at home.  1 cup mashed potatoes red. Big salad with vinegar or rice vinegar. 

For snacks,  cucumbers, carrots,  salad. 

Very tough at first but once I adapted,  it was pretty nice. 

That was super strict.  I stay about 250 now but still eat home cooked as much as possible and try to keep it fairly balanced.  

I do pig out on ice cream 🍦 once a week but that's my reward for making good food choices and riding 400-500 per month.  I mean I 🐖 PIG OUT on ice cream only on Sunday nights. 😄

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, BuffJim said:

This. I’ve been pretty careless last couple months. Want to get and stay below 200 this year. Probably means losing 15-20 pounds and keeping it off. Got a new blood glucose kit and want to use it more. 

Do you just focus on your labs/A1C?   I test daily and have no surprises when my lab results are posted. It’s cool to see how improvements in diet directly correlate to my blood glucose values.  

8 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Do you just focus on your labs/A1C?   I test daily and have no surprises when my lab results are posted. It’s cool to see how improvements in diet directly correlate to my blood glucose values.  

I don’t test as much as I should . I asked the PA about getting a Freestyle Libre, but she said insurance wouldn’t pay because my diabetes isn’t bad enough. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

Not sure of your height but I'm 6'1 and was 290. But still riding 3000 per year. 

I think this is CENTRAL to what Mick or anyone needs to do to lose weight or to maintain a weight without feeling totally deprived (and then spiraling).  Not the necessarily ride 3,000 a yr bit, but the BE ACTIVE all year bit.  

It is Jan. 2, so with a goal of being active EVERY DAY - in some fashion at first - and TRACKING it, Mick can build a routine (he is retired) where walking or riding or swimming every day is a non-negotiable requirement. Make it so the body wants and needs calories to burn.  Make it so eventually, the endorphins of activity make one dream and think of the next adventure. Make it so muscle replaces fat and burns more efficiently.  There are few excuses for not being active every day.

Mick and many of us have food as the more challenging issue to tackle and rectify.  By increasing activity all year and for years to come, the food side becomes less of a problem, as the growing increase in burn - plus the way you "feel" better after exercise - makes food less a crutch and more something that can be tackled from high ground rather than from a weak position where folks start to make rash decisions and unsustainable decisions.  

Again, Mick or anyone can tackle this challenge, and it can be chipped away at by regular activity and then working on the tougher stuff like diet.  

• Heart 2