3 Months to the Date

Mr. Beanz

So yesterday was my final ride to meet my goal. Of course I started ride and realized my XOSS is not registering.  Fought with it for about 5 miles but wouldn't go. Strange that once my speed sensor dies. The unit will not register if the sensor is around even if I remove the battery.  Luckily I keep my Garmin around as back up so I got my 53 miles in to complete my goal.

I looked back at my Garmin log noticing I installed a new battery this exact day 3 months ago.  

I'm wondering how long the battery lasts for others using speed sensors?

I do have mine connected via Bluetooth to 2 units. XOSS and Garmin Edge 500. 

• Heart 1

45 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

Luckily I keep my Garmin around as back up so I got my 53 miles in to complete my goal.

Now that I think about it...  I use my 10 old Garmin 800 for every ride.  It still works and is easy to read.   

For the last 1 1/2 years my Garmin watch (which I always wear) is used on the rides too.  If I recall, once or twice my 800 'got confused' or maybe I did :scratchhead: and it didn't record the ride.   Both can read the data from the speed/cadence sensor.  I was worried my watch would be too new for the old sensor, but it works just fine. 

• Heart 2

39 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

My sensor does not use bluetooth. Its too old for that.

I'm guessing the Bluetooth zaps the power. I know if I use the Bluetooth remote with my Gopro recorders,  it cuts their battery/charge life by 40%.

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

Good thing about Garmin is, if the speed sensor quits working, you're ride will be tracked because it switches to satellite for speed/distance. I only have the speed/cadence sensor on my road bike. My CX and Fat does not.

Strange though,  the XOSS works off the satellites as well. But if the speed sensor dies, it doesn't go to satellite unless it's a good distance away from the device.  

But yes. The Garmin does no matter if thee sensor is near. 

I just think it's strange the XOSS still seems to be connected to the sensor even if the battery dies. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

I'm guessing the Bluetooth zaps the power.

I agree.   My Garmiin watch can use blue tooth to sync with my cell phone, and the phone then syncs with Garmin Connect.  I turned the blue tooth off on the watch, the watch battery lasts longer.   I turned on the wi-fi on the watch and it connects with my network and Garmin Connect when needed.  

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

I'm wondering how long the battery lasts for others using speed sensors?

I don't have a speed sensor, but I find the HR strap battery lasts 6 months, and a PowerTap battery 3-6 months.  Both are CR2032 batteries, and are easy & cheap to swap, but definitely not the longest lasting of batteries.  I'd expect speed and cadence sensors to have similar life spans - maybe a tad more.  The original battery, though, may last less depending on the quality the manufacturer selected???

• Heart 1