Do you eat Black Eyed Peas on New Years Day?

jsharr

Black eyed Peas  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you eat black eyed peas on New Years Day?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hell No
    • What?
    • Bacon, hookers and blow
    • I pee in the shower

I voted yes but the correct answer is I used to.  I had a nice older lady that lived across the way from me. She was originally from Louisiana & would make “Hoppin John” (black eyed peas) for me every new year for good luck.  She sold her place & moved some years ago so I haven’t had it in a while.  

• Heart 2

I have never eaten them..  Not that I wouldn't.  They are just not in my wheel house.  Not something I am familiar with.  Garbanzo, pinto, black, anasazi, lentil...those are about the only beans I am really familiar with.  Don't even say the word lima.  I think those are quite gross.

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have never eaten them..  Not that I wouldn't.  They are just not in my wheel house.  Not something I am familiar with.  Garbanzo, pinto, black, anasazi, lentil...those are about the only beans I am really familiar with.  Don't even say the word lima.  I think those are quite gross.

This is pretty much my answer as well. Except I don't know what Anasazi is - sounds like the guy from Parks & Rec.

It must be a Southern thing.  I have been told that the reason Southerners eat black eyed peas, or cow peas, is that when that bastard Sherman burned up the south, he told his troops to leave the peas, as they were fed to livestock and he did not want the animals to starve.   Other stories relate to foods the slaves brought from Africa and others still attribute the black eyed peas to Jews that moved to the south.

Regardless, black eyed peas, prepared as Hoppin John or other variations relate to good luck and leafy greens like collards represent wealth and have come to be eaten as a tradition in the South on New Years Day to bring luck and prosperity.

• Heart 1