Jump to content

Pizza recipe - refined recipe with amounts


Dirtyhip
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I bake my pizza on the highest setting my oven will go, 500F.  Mose recipes call for 450, but I think that is too cool.  Most pizza oven are quite hot.

 

 

Thanks. I bake at 500 or 550. Pizza ovens are I think 900°F. I'd have to use self cleaning mode :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I line the idea of working in the salt like that. Will try it. 

He says he mixes it in later, because he says it hinders yeast development.  I thought it creates yeast development, as you can't make bread without salt.  It is sort of mind blowing.  Bread making is very much chemistry and I am barely a student in the practice of it.  :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

He says he mixes it in later, because he says it hinders yeast development.  I thought it creates yeast development, as you can't make bread without salt.  It is sort of mind blowing.  Bread making is very much chemistry and I am barely a student in the practice of it.  :)

Your comment prompted me to look it up. https://www.reluctantgourmet.com/salt-does-kill-yeast/#:~:text=Salt does retard yeast growth%2C and in concentrations,that the resulting crumb is nice and even.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use a very similar recipe, but I use honey instead of the sugar. It adds a nice flavor to the crust. What flavor you get depends on the type of honey you use. Clover adds the least, but is still nice. I like the stronger flavor of things like orange blossom and mesquite. I also cook it on a stone on my grill at 600-700 degrees. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been using the ATK recipe but I will try yours next time. ATK uses 4 cups flour (23 ounces) salt, 2tsp yeast, 2tblsp evoo and 1 1/2 cups water. I like that I learned to mix the ingredients and let the yeast work before adding salt. I also like the overnight rest in the fridge; so important for flavor. Grazie!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I’ve been using the ATK recipe but I will try yours next time. ATK uses 4 cups flour (23 ounces) salt, 2tsp yeast, 2tblsp evoo and 1 1/2 cups water. I like that I learned to mix the ingredients and let the yeast work before adding salt. I also like the overnight rest in the fridge; so important for flavor. Grazie!

and I will try yours next time.  :flirtyeyess:

  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Hi.  So, I have been making dough for years.  I have found a recipe that works well.  It is from the book pizza camp by Joe Bedia.  This is his recipe, not mine.  I have sucked in the past with amounts when I talk about flour.  Usually I just add until it looks right.  

1.5 cups cool water (355 g)

2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp yeast

1 tbsp evoo

3.5 cups flour (500 g)

1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp fine sea salt

Mix water, sugar, and yeast.  Then add the evoo.  Mix together using your hands or a strong spatula.  I have moved away from the kitchen aid for bread and pizza.  I think it over works the dough and can make it tough.  I like to let my hands do the work.  Of course this might not work for a pizzaria making tons of dough, but I like to put my hands in it. 

Once your ball of dough has come together, it is time for your salt.  Sprinkle the salt lightly over the top and fold over.  Keep doing this, until your salt is all mixed in nicely.  

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 24 hours.  FLip out the dough and meausure or weigh it into equal parts.  If you are making two pies, plop each into a oiled bowl and rise to double.  This may take 3-4 hours depending on heat in home.

I bake my pizza on the highest setting my oven will go, 500F.  Mose recipes call for 450, but I think that is too cool.  Most pizza oven are quite hot.

Enjoy @petitepedal @Randomguy @Old No. 7 @Allen@Airehead

 

Thanks - I'm copying this into my recipe folder.

I haven't been making pizza at home since I had to cut back on bread due to diabetes. but with the proliferation of substitutes and multi-grain, low GI Index flours, I'm likely to try again.

I also set my oven as high as possible and a pizza stone helps bake the dough faster.

I've also put the dough alone in the oven, on a pizza pan, in an oven with 450°F max. for about 5 minutes and then removed it to put the sauce, cheese, and toppings on, and then baked it until the cheese was ready.  That way I got a decently firm crust.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Thanks - I'm copying this into my recipe folder.

I haven't been making pizza at home since I had to cut back on bread due to diabetes. but with the proliferation of substitutes and multi-grain, low GI Index flours, I'm likely to try again.

I also set my oven as high as possible and a pizza stone helps bake the dough faster.

I've also put the dough alone in the oven, on a pizza pan, in an oven with 450°F max. for about 5 minutes and then removed it to put the sauce, cheese, and toppings on, and then baked it until the cheese was ready.  That way I got a decently firm crust.

I think @Randomguy does the pre bake too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Hi.  So, I have been making dough for years.  I have found a recipe that works well.  It is from the book pizza camp by Joe Bedia.  This is his recipe, not mine.  I have sucked in the past with amounts when I talk about flour.  Usually I just add until it looks right.  

1.5 cups cool water (355 g)

2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp yeast

1 tbsp evoo

3.5 cups flour (500 g)

1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp fine sea salt

Mix water, sugar, and yeast.  Then add the evoo.  Mix together using your hands or a strong spatula.  I have moved away from the kitchen aid for bread and pizza.  I think it over works the dough and can make it tough.  I like to let my hands do the work.  Of course this might not work for a pizzaria making tons of dough, but I like to put my hands in it. 

Once your ball of dough has come together, it is time for your salt.  Sprinkle the salt lightly over the top and fold over.  Keep doing this, until your salt is all mixed in nicely.  

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 24 hours.  FLip out the dough and meausure or weigh it into equal parts.  If you are making two pies, plop each into a oiled bowl and rise to double.  This may take 3-4 hours depending on heat in home.

I bake my pizza on the highest setting my oven will go, 500F.  Mose recipes call for 450, but I think that is too cool.  Most pizza oven are quite hot.

Enjoy @petitepedal @Randomguy @Old No. 7 @Allen@Airehead

 

I did a quick look at Joe Beddia's Pizza Camp book and it's much better at explaining techniques than the ebook I have, "The Pizza Bible" by Tony Gemignani "11 Time World Pizza Champ."

 Beddia says the recipe "makes two 1-pound balls, each makes a proper 16 inch pie."

Do you find it goes that far?

He says lightly flour your hands and the counter. Start in the center of the dough and work your way out:

image.png.c603ee8658789992aa1df4f284946497.png image.png.2ec5ab84dbb0843a13f44d8552c22e4d.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...