How easy do you think this will be?

Dirtyhip

How easy or hard do you think this might be?

Walking for 1/2 mile (in the dark, while carrying skis, boots, and poles, lunch, work clothes)

On one hand I thik it should be easy, if pack my bag properly.  I assume I will carry my equipment over one shoulder, and hang the boots off my backpack.  

In the back of my mind I think it might be a disaster, as I navigate down the icy pavement trying to carry all this stuff.  It's the dark that is my monkey wrench.  I have to carry the skis and stuff back up the hill to get home.  ALthough, we might get a bunch of powder.  In that case, I can ski back from the bus stop, as it should cover up the road again.  

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Headlamp, and taillight, check

I got this one on Amazon.  I was walking with my wife and a group of runners passed us but  we parked near each other. I asked the guy what head light he had as it was super bright.  He pulled it up on Amazon so I took a shot of it which is why it’s not super clear.

it’s a two pack and you can make then rear one red.

DA80A4C6-C972-44C3-A634-AF80D1C79A2C.thumb.jpeg.d73e5e53532033a5606ad6acacd31f2c.jpeg

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I got this one on Amazon.  I was walking with my wife and a group of runners passed us but  we parked near each other. I asked the guy what head light he had as it was super bright.  He pulled it up on Amazon so I took a shot of it which is why it’s not super clear.

it’s a two pack and you can make then rear one red.

DA80A4C6-C972-44C3-A634-AF80D1C79A2C.thumb.jpeg.d73e5e53532033a5606ad6acacd31f2c.jpeg

MIne is similar, a petzl. 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

Find a way to lash your skis to the back of the pack and walk with your poles.  Winter walking with arms full is a bad recipe.

OK, more voice of reason here.  Eh, I will consult with a smart man about that this evening. I have a board pack, but it is not meant for skis.

Those ski bums make it look so easy with their stuff tossed over the shoulder as they walk to the ski resort. And they are in ski boots.  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

How easy or hard do you think this might be?

Walking for 1/2 mile (in the dark, while carrying skis, boots, and poles, lunch, work clothes)

On one hand I thik it should be easy, if pack my bag properly.  I assume I will carry my equipment over one shoulder, and hang the boots off my backpack.  

In the back of my mind I think it might be a disaster, as I navigate down the icy pavement trying to carry all this stuff.  It's the dark that is my monkey wrench.  I have to carry the skis and stuff back up the hill to get home.  ALthough, we might get a bunch of powder.  In that case, I can ski back from the bus stop, as it should cover up the road again.  

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Headlamp, and taillight, check

Being a cyclist, you should already have some of the above, or multiples. :) So the idea is you're skiing  to and from the bus stop as part of...work commute? I think us cyclists, particularily who have already bike-commuted over the years, get used to other permutations.

For past few winters, we  walked in winter with our snowshoes on ploughed park bike-ped path (which is lit at night all the way), with light change of clothing in backpacks, about 1.5 km. to bus station @6:00 am to catch bus to Banff and then transfer to municipal bus (this bus accommodates skis actually!) to Lake Louise which is 25+ km. north.  Walk 100 metres, then put on snowshoes to go into the woods, up on mountain hillsides... you are already at high elevation.

In going to Banff, I used to carry my fur-lined high winter boots too, in addition to my snowshoes if  Banff-Lake Louise was going to be  -28 degrees C and lower. I wanted to walk around more easily after snowshoeing, with warm legs later on.  I found my feet would get tired encased for 2+ hrs., in stiffer snowshoeing boots.

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Being a cyclist, you should already have some of the above, or multiples. :) So the idea is you're skiing  to and from the bus stop as part of...work commute? I think us cyclists, particularily who have already bike-commuted over the years, get used to other permutations.

For past few winters, we  walked in winter with our snowshoes on ploughed park bike-ped path (which is lit at night all the way), with light change of clothing in backpacks, about 1.5 km. to bus station @6:00 am to catch bus to Banff and then transfer to municipal bus (this bus accommodates skis actually!) to Lake Louise which is 25+ km. north.  Walk 100 metres, then put on snowshoes to go into the woods... you are already at high elevation.

In going to Banff, I used to carry my fur-lined high winter boots too, in addition to my snowshoes if  Banff-Lake Louise was going to be  -28 degrees C and lower. I wanted to walk around more easily after snowshoeing, with warm legs later on.  I found my feet would get tired encased for 2+ hrs., in stiffer snowshoeing boots.

Not exactly. The roads are plowed so I have to carry the skis, poles and boots, along with my lunch and my work clothes.  I want the skis cause there is going to be a dump.  I want to have the skis for lunchtime workout. Carrying all of that in the dark, down my icy road just seems slightly scary.  

They plow and there are too many sections of just icy pave and they wreck my skis.

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Not exactly. The roads are plowed so I have to carry the skis, poles and boots, along with my lunch and my work clothes.  I want the skis cause there is going to be a dump.  I want to have the skis for lunchtime workout. Carrying all of that in the dark, down my icy road just seems slightly scary.  

They plow and there are too many sections of just icy pave and they wreck my skis.

So you don't want to leave skis at work for 1-2 days after work? Maybe there's no place to lock them up.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

I run Petzl or BlackDiamond.  My current is a Petzl Actik Core

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/ACTIVE-headlamps/ACTIK-CORE

I also have the case that makes it into a lantern.

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/ACTIVE-headlamps/NOCTILIGHT

I have the same headlamp. I downhill ski with it and fatbike with it on my helmet. I love that it's rechargable or takes AAAs. 

Pack your skis like @jsharr showed. Boom. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

:(  OK, I totally value your opinion, your concern is falling?  Mine too.  What if I promise to wear those traction devices.

Falling with your hands full is my concern. 

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Find a way to lash your skis to the back of the pack and walk with your poles.  Winter walking with arms full is a bad recipe.

This makes sense. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

So you don't want to leave skis at work for 1-2 days after work? Maybe there's no place to lock them up.

Skis are here at home, I work tomorrow.  I don't tend to leave them there, in the event that a snow day is called.   I need a separate set for work, but let's not get ridiculous.  :D

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jdc2000 said:

Those look helpful.  Thank you.  

I was super bummed.  I could not figure out how to lash my skis to my current backpack for today.  If I tried to rig something, I was afraid it would blow up in my face on the way to the stop or back from the stop.  Additionally, our buses here are not equipped to deal with skis and all that.  It might work with that strap thing.  But, I would still need to carry my backpack with my lunch, work clothing, etc.  

Still slightly a conundrum for me.

On 1/2/2022 at 12:06 PM, Dirtyhip said:

as I navigate down the icy pavement

That's the big problem.  When we walk our dogs and it's icy we always use these on our boots.   You need to work at it to slip when using these.  Just don't wear them indoors... not good for floors, or on floors.  

image.png.c2d8117dd109130180e0d52611a4ad03.png

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

That's the big problem.  When we walk our dogs and it's icy we always use these on our boots.   You need to work at it slip using these.

image.png.c2d8117dd109130180e0d52611a4ad03.png

Check.  I have those.  Mine have circular wires instead of spikes.  

Mostly, it was the darkness, bad surfaces and carrying a ton of stuff.  I missed having my skis today.  

• Heart 1