Gifts for your friends, family close to / are retired

shootingstar

At this stage in life, alot of people in above age range, have the stuff they need. So I try to buy something nice but usable. Not just decorative.  There is a point where a lovely mug/bowl or little sauce dish might be more clutter?  In fact, alot of folks are trying to declutter/give away their stuff.   Food is ok but sometimes feels like a cop-out. Or it doesn't make sense to buy a box of chocolates for a single person who is watching their diet.

I don't spend $100 nor $50.00 / person since it will be over 15 different people. These are family members and close friends. I am buying gifts for alot of different people when I visit Ontario. And it can't be large heavy stuff.

• Heart 1

I would buy foodstuffs or restaurant gift cards; things that won't add to the clutter. I have all the coffee mugs, serving bowls, etc that any person needs. I believe the same to be true for others. Someone I know likes crab? I would buy a pound of fresh crabmeat. I only buy blue crab from the Chesapeake Bay. Buying local is important and I know this is a good product. It's not cheap, currently $40-$50 for jumbo lump, but I also know what it's like to pick crab, just not eight hours a day picking crab. A special cheese, cut of meat, or bottle of wine or spirits make good presents too. The meal may be long gone but memories are there for a long time.

• Heart 1

I would probably buy special foods or treats. Tickets to a play for those who enjoy. Maybe a small box of truffles. Specialty teas or coffee. Things like that. Nothing to add to clutter. If they have a pet, chewy gift cards are always In Fashion. 

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I would buy foodstuffs or restaurant gift cards; things that won't add to the clutter. I have all the coffee mugs, serving bowls, etc that any person needs. I believe the same to be true for others. Someone I know likes crab? I would buy a pound of fresh crabmeat. I only buy blue crab from the Chesapeake Bay. Buying local is important and I know this is a good product. It's not cheap, currently $40-$50 for jumbo lump, but I also know what it's like to pick crab, just not eight hours a day picking crab. A special cheese, cut of meat, or bottle of wine or spirits make good presents too. The meal may be long gone but memories are there for a long time.

For sure, buying local food is a wonderful idea. Too bad I don't know anyone living in Hawai'i to gift me kona coffee. :flirtyeyess:

• Awesome 1

Food/tea/coffee has always been popular with my family.  I also like to give nice soaps and lotions (assuming  they don't have any special allergies or sensitivities).  I have relatives who live in the same state and I get them a state park pass which they use (saves on admission fees and parking).  I ask each year if they still like it and they all say they use it a lot during the year. Normally I'd suggest planning a day at a museum or theater with lunch, but probably not a good idea for older relatives right now.  My Mom had a sweet tooth, but she'd only allow herself one piece a day.  She always appreciated a box of nice quality chocolates that wasn't too big or overwhelming.  There were some tv channels I thought my Mom would enjoy that weren't on her cable plan, so I offered to pay for the upgrade as a present.  She could have paid for it herself, but her frugal nature wasn't easy to overcome.  When it was a present, she could enjoy them without feeling guilty and it was a gift she could enjoy all year.

But most of my older relatives really appreciated the gift of your time and presence, so a gift that you could do together was always appreciated the most.

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

At this stage in life, alot of people in above age range, have the stuff they need. So I try to buy something nice but usable. Not just decorative.  There is a point where a lovely mug/bowl or little sauce dish might be more clutter?  In fact, alot of folks are trying to declutter/give away their stuff.   Food is ok but sometimes feels like a cop-out. Or it doesn't make sense to buy a box of chocolates for a single person who is watching their diet.

I don't spend $100 nor $50.00 / person since it will be over 15 different people. These are family members and close friends. I am buying gifts for alot of different people when I visit Ontario. And it can't be large heavy stuff.

With our local extended family's adults ranging mostly from the mid-50's to late 70's, we decided to stop giving everyone gifts and do a White Elephant Game where everyone brings ONE $25 to $50 gift that anyone can use.

Our gift game and extended family Christmas dinner has been delayed in this coming Saturday, Jan 8th, because my brother's BiL caught Omicron COVID.

My gift is a clothes steamer.  I figure everyone gets wrinkles but few iron clothes anymore.

• Awesome 1