Is ricotta a one-purpose cheese?

Randomguy

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That sounds like a lot of effort. 

Not where I live. Check Epicurious.com. Search ricotta. I saw lots of ideas other than lasagna. Use your imagination. Avocado type toast with cherry tomatoes or sun dried tomatoes. Add chopped olives or some such. 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:

What else, other than lasagna, can you do with it?

My UMBC college research professor's grandparents - all four - came from the Naples, Italy area and settled in Chicago.

When we would be invited for a spaghetti dinner at Dr. Vitullo's house, he did not have Parmesan or other grated cheese to sprinkle on the pasta.

He had a tub of ricotta cheese with a spoon and you spooned a clump of cheese onto your plate and grabbed a little with your fork before grabbing pasta with it.

Supposedly, that's how they do it in Naples.

• Awesome 2

I never have left over.  When I buy a 16 oz tub, I use the entire thing for a tray of lasagna.  Which reminds me, I am going to take one of my frozen chunks out for dinner one Tues.  I love having home food ready to go on the table.  Makes for an easy work night meal.  My longer commute needs quick options for worknights.

15 hours ago, Airehead said:

Make your excellent pizza dough and make a spinach and ricotta calzone. 

I love a good ricotta calzone.  They are really the best with a mixture of mozzarella and ricotta.  

Speaking of cheeses,  I love melted mozz, and just plain shredded mozz.  But I am NOT a fan of the balls of "fresh" mozz that you can buy.  They seem slimy with no taste to me.  

18 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I love a good ricotta calzone.  They are really the best with a mixture of mozzarella and ricotta.  

Speaking of cheeses,  I love melted mozz, and just plain shredded mozz.  But I am NOT a fan of the balls of "fresh" mozz that you can buy.  They seem slimy with no taste to me.  

I love a well made calzone!!!!  Damn, those are tasty and with a nice dipping marinara sauce!

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I love a well made calzone!!!!  Damn, those are tasty and with a nice dipping marinara sauce!

There was a locally owned Eye talian place on the river here a while back.  (shut down around covid time) and they made pretty decent pizza.  Had a great beer menu.  But they made the best damn calzones.  Ricotta cheese with mozz, peperoni,... They didn't even need marinara.  That damn good by themselves.  I am sorry that place shut down.