New job for G

Parr8hed

Just now, Parr8hed said:

Since his i cream store gig ended (they closed for the season in Oct) G has been seeking gainful employment.  

Seems nobody local was hiring.  So while his expenditures were staying steady and his contributions shrinking he decided to finally accept an offer from the only place that returned a call.  McDonalds.  Worked there two days over the weekend and HATED it.  At least he made a little cash.  

He has an interview at a local placed as a seating host for a little brew pub kinda place.  Owned by a couple of friends of ours.  I have insider info that he already has the job unless he acts a fool at the interview today.  He will be awfully happy to quit mcd's!

Dunno what his hours & availability are, but most sit-down restaurants are desperately in need of help.

5 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Seems nobody local was hiring. 

3 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Dunno what his hours & availability are, but most sit-down restaurants are desperately in need of help.

All I see is "help wanted" on store windows.  I'd opt for retail over restaurant/wait staff, but yeah, we should have options for a kid like him!

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Since his i cream store gig ended (they closed for the season in Oct) G has been seeking gainful employment.  

Seems nobody local was hiring.  So while his expenditures were staying steady and his contributions shrinking he decided to finally accept an offer from the only place that returned a call.  McDonalds.  Worked there two days over the weekend and HATED it.  At least he made a little cash.  

He has an interview at a local placed as a seating host for a little brew pub kinda place.  Owned by a couple of friends of ours.  I have insider info that he already has the job unless he acts a fool at the interview today.  He will be awfully happy to quit mcd's!

I totally agree aboot McDonald's. I never worked in food service...by choice. I did like the car wash gig though. The brewpub seems awesome. You can even check in on him from time to time :D Local restaurant are great. They hire local kids a lot.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, 2Far said:

18 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I only shop two grocery stores but they both have had help wanted signs up since Covid started.

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

All I see is "help wanted" on store windows.  I'd opt for retail over restaurant/wait staff, but yeah, we should have options for a kid like him!

Every place around here has hiring signs and help wanted as well.  He must have turned in 10 applications.  Star bucks, the grocery, restaurants, etc.  Nobody was hiring.  Maybe they were looking for M-F day shift (when kids are in school?) I don't know.  But it was incredibly frustrating for him.  We have a few good leads now including the interview he's going on today.  Just need something to get him through to summer time then he's pretty set up.  

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I totally agree aboot McDonald's. I never worked in food service...by choice. I did like the car wash gig though. The brewpub seems awesome. You can even check in on him from time to time :D Local restaurant are great. They hire local kids a lot.

And it's great that we're friends with the owners.  They are softball peeps.  Their daughter plays.  They like Emmy but have never met G.  I think that he is basically being hired because of her softball work ethic.  Which I am fine with.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Just now, jsharr said:

On a positive note, you can now tell him with confidence " If you don't quit acting a fool and use that lump between your shoulders for something other than a hat rack, you are gonna end up flipping burgers at McDonalds"  So you have that going for you.

HAHAHA..  True, true.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, jsharr said:

On a positive note, you can now tell him with confidence " If you don't quit acting a fool and use that lump between your shoulders for something other than a hat rack, you are gonna end up flipping burgers at McDonalds"  So you have that going for you.

@Parr8hed just wants the  beer &  wing discount

• Heart 2

35 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

And it's great that we're friends with the owners.  They are softball peeps.  Their daughter plays.  They like Emmy but have never met G.  I think that he is basically being hired because of her softball work ethic.  Which I am fine with.

Nothing wrong w/ that. Hope he likes it and it works out.

15 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

But is one I had to look up. That's not one of the words I knew. I don't know all 50,000 words you see :D

Ha.  Actually a word I didn't have to look up.  A word used often in organ donors with brain stem herniation and dialysis.  

16 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

So… Coors Lite, Bud Lite, Miller Lite? Any imports like Heineken Light?!?

They had some Country Boy Brewery and Sun King stuff there IIRC.   I think Rhinegeist as well.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

The antonym of “growalotofpotomania”, a ubiquitous phenomenon affecting much of the American far West, it seems.

But a kitchen window of the situation reveals the West is uniquely suited for growing pot as a cash crop. Specifically, revenue from marijuana will replace oil and gas in the near future. 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

But a kitchen window of the situation reveals the West is uniquely suited for growing pot as a cash crop. Specifically, revenue from marijuana will replace oil and gas in the near future. 

I think we need to rear tire kitchen window for a bit until we can workshop it's usage.  I think we need to get pretty granular here.

17 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

I think we need to rear tire kitchen window for a bit until we can workshop it's usage.  I think we need to get pretty granular here.

Boom! We're gonna fix these dopey dictionaries whether they like it or not!  These are rear tire issues that anyone taking a nice long kitchen window view of them would see them as something we can all agree on.

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Mansplaining with “rear tire.” We’re for sure gonna hit at least Urban Dictionary, if not Websters.

16 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

I suck.  

So, I checked Urban Dictionary, and rear tire skid is a thing…and it’s related to butt stuff. Not to deter our efforts to get the phrase rear tire into Merriam-Webster, just taking a kitchen window view of our situation. 

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2022 at 9:30 AM, Parr8hed said:

How much ice cream did he eat while working there? Looking at his birthday photos he has really filled out in the last year. He’s not a skinny triathlon kid anymore.

18 hours ago, Longjohn said:

How much ice cream did he eat while working there? Looking at his birthday photos he has really filled out in the last year. He’s not a skinny triathlon kid anymore.

Actually I think swimming has really bulked up his upper body.  He doesn't have an ounce of body fat.

• Heart 2

35 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

So, is G the new host at that restaurant now @Parr8hed?

You have such good kids.  Great job on raising them up.

Yes!  He accepted the position last night.  Quit at McDonalds.  He already has 3 shifts scheduled next week.  

Thank you.  We work pretty hard at raising them right.  Or at least trying to.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

4 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Yes!  He accepted the position last night.  Quit at McDonalds.  He already has 3 shifts scheduled next week.  

Thank you.  We work pretty hard at raising them right.  Or at least trying to.

I smile every time I revisit our visit many years ago and see how they have grown ad matured.

• Heart 1

If G takes after Dad: “Table for six? We can do that. Sit your ass down right there while we get your table ready”

Irish hospitality story: two gents walk into a pub at 11:00. Ask for a table. Greeter tells them that they don’t serve beer until noon. That’s fine, mind if we wait? Not at all, sit at this table. Would you like a pint while you wait?

• Haha 2