It is with a very heavy heart that I let you know, we've lost one of our own

Square Wheels

Oh wow! 😮 😢 

Deepest condolences to his family. 

I didn’t really know anything about him. He’d messaged me a few times here and the messages always seemed cryptic to me, much as his posts did. I honestly thought he was someone’s puppet for a long time.

That’s one of the downfalls of these Forum environments.  

Seems a few of you knew him personally. My condolences and prayers for you as well as you embrace this.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Digital_photog said:

He messaged me often begging me to fly the bumblebee to Greenville. He knew WoD_P's cousin worked in avionics repair at Greenville Downtown Airport.  He told me his business wasn't far from there.

@SamWithCheese Here is the plane you never got to ride in.

DSCN2687awwc.jpg.edb8c17b311fdce567d9b2c47cb22846.jpg

@Wilbur have you ever seen anything with so few instruments?

DSCN2690awwc.jpg.59fd96e6b439fde4f2249b084e49a15a.jpg

Close!

89d2065d96eb992c0147d071ddefe73b.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

OK, wow.  Not the message I expected to be greeted with when I showed up to catch up!

I do try to keep my private life separate from my on line life, that's why I don't give up a ton of personal info.  But I considered Airwick an online friend.  So it's sad.  But it's really sad for those of you here, and those in his circle, that knew him better.  If he was anything like he was here, in real life, he's sure to be greatly missed by a lot of people.

Just sucks.

prayers for Airwick (God knows who he really is!), his family and friends, here and in 3D.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Our relationship with him has been his gift to us, and I find peace in the ongoing memories, the “Cheese-isms”, the joy we have with each other. And I want to emphasize that the Square Wheels Cycling Forum is just a tiny corner of the internet, but the people here have a huge impact on each other’s spirit. We give the gift of life, friends.  

Extremely well said.  Thanks, Sue.

• Heart 1

@MoseySusan my FIL died suddenly almost 29 years ago. It was such a shock to the family that when I got to the hospital, they asked if I would go identify the body because no one else in the family felt they could do it. That in itself was surreal, but as I walked back to the family the main entry opened and against the outside light was a silhouette of a man with a similar build and limp as FIL had after his artificial knee. My mind was still trying to process he was gone so I started to walk to the man expecting to say hi to FIL. My brain made a mid course correction to realize he was gone. 
Cheese gave the image of a Southern dandy. Kind of a John Waters character. Weird, but in a nice way. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I can't stop thinking about it.  The world seems different, and not in a good way.

I wish he would just show up and post a huge, "GOTCHA!!!"   

This feeling is so common among those who lose someone.  It speaks to how much he meant to you/us.

After my dad died, although I knew it wouldn’t happen I kept thinking he was going to get up and walk off as if nothing had happened.  It took a while to come to grips he wasn’t going to come back to us.  

Unfortunately  Hank isn’t going to post here again either. 

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

:( This is true, I had to call 911, 800 km. away, to get police to break down the door after 20 hrs. not hearing from him. We skyped for a few hrs. every evening during times apart.  It's been a long hard road.  So  imagine for Hank's wife right now, the shock is immense.

The plan was I wanted to retire by end of last yr. and be with him. It was not meant to be...I may as well work awhile with a pandemic still flaming on a bit.

...I don't know if you have much time to read, yet, but this book by Joan Didion is pretty good. It's about the year following the unexpected early demise of her husband and writing partner of many years, and I have always been interested in what she had to say, as an observer of the human condition. But it might still be that you are a little raw on the nerve endings.

Personally, I tend to procrastinate dealing with emotions like grief and separation.  Work is a good distraction. 

spacer.png

This powerful book is Didion's attempt to make sense of the "weeks and then months that cut loose any fixed idea I ever had about death, about illness . . . about marriage and children and memory . . . about the shallowness of sanity, about life itself."

• Heart 2

28 minutes ago, denniS said:

Hell yes. Vacuums too. I have one tool and my only promise is your problem will be gone. Though, you will now have other shit to deal with. 

When the only tool in your box is a pedal wrench, all your problems begin to look like targets.

• Awesome 1

After a few days I realize what I miss aboot Cheese.  Like all of us, he was an individual with his own quirks and idiosyncracies, although even more so. :D Basically a breath of fresh air, an escape from the mundane. :)  So now we have our Whoppers without Cheese, so they are naturally more boring.  Yet as I always said, there will always be a Cheese around here. :)  Like Kirby said, he will still be enjoying Heathcat every day with us. :)

• Heart 2