Idea revisited

Parsnip Totin Jack

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I have posted my chili recipe, which is not mine, just the one I use, many times.

Yep - I don't have any original recipes.  If I posted them, they are good but definitely not mine.  I assume I would have noted where they came from, though.

I will have to convert certain things to imperial. I actually function in partial metric and partial imperial measurements when I do my own invented recipes. B)I was the generation that learned metric when I was 13 yrs. old in school when Canada went metric.

I know ..makes no sense. But then today doesn't make sense right now.

• Hugs 2

I have a recipe for a one pot dish that I eat frequently. I call it "cowboy beans". That's what my family called it growing up. The essence of it is hamburger, beans, onions, and tomato sauce. Seasoned with copious amounts of chili powder. The recipe changes every time I cook it. :lol: 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

8 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I have a recipe for a one pot dish that I eat frequently. I call it "cowboy beans". That's what my family called it growing up. The essence of it is hamburger, beans, onions, and tomato sauce. Seasoned with copious amounts of chili powder. The recipe changes every time I cook it. :lol: 

I sort of miss my bachelor days cooking.  Mmmm, wienies and beanies!  My favourite was grilled onions and steak.  Thankfully my wife does that once in a while, but she adds shrooms which are ok but I prefer the pure onions.  I miss making chili a little - that was always an adventure.

• Awesome 1

North American a la fusion recipe of survival and family love, with more spice kick changed by shootingstar:  Butternut Squash Chic : Carrying on Stir-Fried Memories – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)

Stir-fried Butternut Squash with Ginger

• 2 c. of cubed butternut squash (rough 1-2 inch cubes)
  • 1/2 c. of chopped white onion
  • 4-6 thin slices of minced/smashed ginger root (or less according to your taste)
  • 1 small garlic clove, smashed/minced finely 
  • 1 index finger tip amount of hot sauce or sirachi hot sauce
  • approx.1 c. of water (or whatever needed to stop burning)
  • 2 jots of soy sauce

Heat up saucepan with oil. Saute onions, garlic, ginger and hot sauce in pan for 5 min. to carmelize onions lightly. Toss in butternut squash and stir around for approx. 3 min. Add water to prevent burning. Add soy sauce and stir round. Turn down heat to medium to low. Cover pot. Add water in 5-10min. to stop burning. Cook in about 20min.

Serve hot with rice.  OR add cooked, drained light pasta into squash 5 min. to mix and heat up before serving.  Squash should be soft/mushy to eat with tiny amount of sauce/moisture.  Serves 1-2 people

Can serve by garnishing with freshly chopped cilantro or basil.  You can add chopped mushrooms at same time when sauteeing onions, garlic, ginger and hot sauce before adding squash.

Stir fried squash with mushrooms and peppers. A busy, mother's invention. Photo by J. Chong

• Heart 2