if I change my phone number tonight

bikeman564™

They are already ringing that number before you get it. Robocalls just dial everything much like in the old movie War Games. Some are targeted and others might learn that a line is dead; however, a phone number is usually only off-line for 6 months before it can be used again. Robocallers know this. Worse case you get a number previously used by someone who had old girlfriends or bill collectors after them.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

I'm getting rid of my phone

What no cell phone...  :frantics:   

We don't have a landline, so our cell phones are our only phones.

When I retired, I changed my phone number.   My personal cell phone was used for home and work.  My work paid most of the bill.  Customers and others would call me ANY time,  any day or night about power outages.  I didn't want ANY calls from my old job, I am retired.  Whoever got my old cell phone number, probably changed it after the first bad storm.

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

What no cell phone...  :frantics:   

We don't have a landline, so our cell phones are our only phones.

When I retired, I changed my phone number.   My personal cell phone was used for home and work.  My work paid most of the bill.  Customers and others would call me ANY time,  any day or night about power outages.  I didn't want ANY calls from my old job, I am retired.  Whoever got my old cell phone number, probably changed it after the first bad storm.

I only have a cell phone. Pita

8 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I only have a cell phone. Pita

When I worked,  had to answer ALL the cell phone calls.  I never knew who could be calling me about work.  I'd get LOTS of spam calls, probably because I answered the phone.

Now, If the call doesn't match a contact, I don't answer.  If they don't leave a message, they get blocked.  If it was important they will find another way to contact me.  

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

My phone doesn't ring. Which is nice

About a year ago(?), I turned on some iPhone or AT&T feature that just keeps most incoming calls silent.  I never have my ringer on, but the "suspicious" calls don't trigger the silent vibration ring.  It's nice.  A message will flash on the screen showing the number, but the phone doesn't start dancing across my desk like it does for folks in my contacts list.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

My wife did...and she still laments the lack of the physical keyboard in all of her subsequent phones.

I got used to the touch screen but the keyboard is better in my opinion. But when not typing & just web surfing on my phone I do prefer the larger screen afforded by the touch screen going away.  

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

My wife did...and she still laments the lack of the physical keyboard in all of her subsequent phones.

My first company cell phone was a Blackberry.  I was glad when they stopped using them.  

Then it got worse..   they started using Windows phones for company phones.  :facepalm:

And finally in 2016, it became BYOD (bring your own device).  So I had to go and buy a phone. That's when I got my Galaxy S7.   It's old but still works just fine.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 1/3/2022 at 6:17 PM, JerrySTL said:

Worse case you get a number previously used by someone who had old girlfriends

I had the girlfriend for my previous number. She was so mad that a woman was answering Joe Padilla’s cell phone. I finally got her to listen long enough to explain it was my new cell phone. I could hear the hurt in her voice that Joe didn’t even tell her he had a new number. 
But then several years later, I started getting all kinds of calls for Diego from New York. Places he’d left job applications, the bank! And my friends would text me and get “who dis?” in reply.
I contacted my cell provider and they recommended I just switch numbers. I’m going to get a new phone this week because the back glass on this one is seriously cracked. I hope I can keep my number. 

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...