Our grandson is stuck in a hotel room in Dubai

Rattlecan

11 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

for at least 14 days.

So, a bit of background. My step daughter (the other one, not the one we just visited in Halifax) and her family planned a trip to Dubai to attend the worlds fair. They originally booked their flights for Christmas day on Air Egypt with a planned one day layover in Egypt where they had arranged a tour to see some pyramids. 

Anyway, those plans changed when Egypt shut down access for all visitors, and they switched their flights to another airline.

So, they spent the week in Dubai at the fair, and the day before departure, they all took their covid tests. Well, wouldn't ya know, number one son, 17 years old tested positive, the other three (Mom, Dad and 15 year old son) were negative.

They arranged for a second test for him, but results would not be back in time to make the flight, so they set him up in a room in the same hotel where he gets to live the dream for two weeks.

They have a friend in Dubai who they actually spent New Years eve with, so there is somebody to help him if needed.

The rest of the family flew home yesterday, and upon arrival at the airport were randomly picked for testing after which they have to isolate at home until a negative result comes back.

So, I will just leave this here without commenting on what I thought of the idea of leaving him behind alone, but you can probably guess what my thought are on that. I'm just hoping he doesn't get really sick.

The family had better hope he doesn't get  more ill. :(  There was a Canadian who was visiting China on   business. He had to self-isolate. His wife and child were I believe, live in Vancovuer.  He died solo. This was early 2020 within lst 3 months of pandemic.

He's by himself.  This seems kinda wierd. I know isolation is necessary...still.

• Heart 1

Prayers for a quick recovery.

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

So, I will just leave this here without commenting on what I thought of the idea of leaving him behind alone

That is more concerning to me than the virus. :frantics:    I sure hope they looked into the rules for unaccompanied minors on the airlines he needs to take to eventually get home.  There maybe more restrictions for that now, or it can be banned because of the virus. 

I sure hope this has a good ending.  

• Heart 1

At 17 this may be a great adventure.  We had sailors almost that young when I was in the service.  Some of my son's students were here in the US during the pandemic of 2020 to take SAT exams.  They were unable to return to China because of flight and border restrictions.  Several lived in a hotel for months as a group.  They survived.

That they have a friend there is encouraging.  If necessary the US embassy may also be able to provide some support.

• Heart 2

And I thought I was taking a risk going to a restaurant with 40 customers well-spaced apart for my nephew's 21st birthday on Dec. 28th!

I'm not going to judge anything here, but if they were willing to take a huge chance on flying overseas and going to a crowded venue with Omicron soaring, I wonder why they didn't plan for something like this to happen - and plan to stay together if one caught COVID.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, MickinMD said:

And I thought I was taking a risk going to a restaurant with 40 customers well-spaced apart for my nephew's 21st birthday on Dec. 28th!

WoBG and I go out to eat on a Friday date just about every Friday.   I'll guess we go out to eat somewhere at least twice a week.   We have been doing that more than 40 years.  

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

So, they spent the week in Dubai at the fair, and the day before departure, they all took their covid tests. Well, wouldn't ya know, number one son, 17 years old tested positive, the other three (Mom, Dad and 15 year old son) were negative.

That was probably my top worry back when we went on vacation in the summer.  That one or both of us would test positive and be "stuck" for 1-2 weeks.  That would be a royal PITA.

I gotta say, it is mind-boggling testing and vaxxing aren't required for all fights in the US right now. It doesn't eliminate the risks, but it greatly reduces them.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That was probably my top worry back when we went on vacation in the summer.  That one or both of us would test positive and be "stuck" for 1-2 weeks.  That would be a royal PITA.

I gotta say, it is mind-boggling testing and vaxxing aren't required for all fights in the US right now. It doesn't eliminate the risks, but it greatly reduces them.

I was talking to someone last week who’s adult daughter got stuck in Costa Rica while there with a group of friends.

She felt fine but tested positive so couldn’t return home.  She had to find a place to stay and ride out the virus but also was afraid to tell the hotel staff for fear of them not letting her stay.  Throw in language barriers and it was quiet the conundrum for them. 

As for that situation, if it were one of my kids at 17 one of us would have stayed.  We really don’t know the family so I’m not going to judge.  If it made sense to them so be it.  

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I was talking to someone last week who’s adult daughter got stuck in Costa Rica while there with a group of friends.

She felt fine but tested positive so couldn’t return home.  She had to find a place to stay and ride out the virus but also was afraid to tell the hotel staff for fear of them not letting her stay.  Throw in language barriers and it was quiet the conundrum for them. 

As for that situation, if it were one of my kids at 17 one of us would have stayed.  We really don’t know the family so I’m not going to judge.  If it made sense to them so be it.  

Has @Scrapr returned home yet or still posting from abroad?

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Has @Scrapr returned home yet or still posting from abroad?

Well crap....I typed out a long reply with paragraphs and semi colons and a bunch of nonsensical drivel. The internet did not approve. Lost to the vapors

I'll make a post later.  Still in England. Flying home today 

• Awesome 2
  • Hugs 1

Traveling abroad seems nice, but I will not. Never know when something may happen. Remember the FAA grounded air traffic when the towers were struck? My friend's wife was out of the country on business and was delayed for some days getting back.  I'd be okay stuck in the lower 48.

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

Traveling abroad seems nice, but I will not. Never know when something may happen. Remember the FAA grounded air traffic when the towers were struck? My friend's wife was out of the country on business and was delayed for some days getting back.  I'd be okay stuck in the lower 48.

You just have to be more like Miley Cyrus and be flexible and roll with the punches.:whistle: Heck, my wife would use the time to look for more birds and eat more good food. I'd rather be stuck in a motel room somewhere than in a traffic jam along an iced up interstate in the lower 48.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Heck, my wife would use the time to look for more birds and eat more good food. I'd rather be stuck in a motel room somewhere than in a traffic jam along an iced up interstate in the lower 48.

I doubt he is allowed to leave the hotel room. Hopefully it is a larger sized room and maybe a balcony.  

I'd just hate being on the hook for a week or two of hotel and room service :(  If I'm renting a hotel for two weeks, I am getting out and about to see stuff.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I doubt he is allowed to leave the hotel room. Hopefully it is a larger sized room and maybe a balcony.  

I'd just hate being on the hook for a week or two of hotel and room service :(  If I'm renting a hotel for two weeks, I am getting out and about to see stuff.

I was referring to the posters comment, NOT the covid situation. No need to complicate the matter!

40 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

You just have to be more like Miley Cyrus and be flexible and roll with the punches.:whistle: Heck, my wife would use the time to look for more birds and eat more good food. I'd rather be stuck in a motel room somewhere than in a traffic jam along an iced up interstate in the lower 48.

I don't get the Miley reference, I'm Old.  I'll take the lower 48 in lieu of my fate being determined by two governments.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I don't get the Miley reference, I'm Old.  I'll take the lower 48 in lieu of my fate being determined by two governments.

Being old has nothing to do with understanding that statement.:whistle: I laughed out loud when you mentioned 'old' when writing to me.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My kids love the Witcher.  They were discussing it last weekend and wanted to rewatch season 1 before watching the new shows.  I have watched parts of it and it seems well done. 

I liked it a lot.  Well done, but not GoT level of production.  Definitely looking forward to the new season.

36 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I liked it a lot.  Well done, but not GoT level of production.  Definitely looking forward to the new season.

We didn’t get into GoT but I’ll take your word for it as GoT had much more mass appeal & media attention than Witcher. I wouldn’t know if the Witcher if not for my kids.

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We didn’t get into GoT but I’ll take your word for it as GoT had much more mass appeal & media attention than Witcher. I wouldn’t know if the Witcher if not for my kids.

More a budget thing. GoT probably had a higher single episode budget than the whole season 1 of Witcher's budget.  Witcher punches way above its budget.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:01 PM, Rattlecan said:

They arranged for a second test for him, but results would not be back in time to make the flight, so they set him up in a room in the same hotel where he gets to live the dream for two weeks.

It happens to even the big leaguers like @MickinMD's friends: Hikaru Nakamura

American chess grandmaster Hikaru Nakamura was at the World Rapid and Blitz Chess Championships last week when he found himself without a clear move. He was in Warsaw, Poland. He had a flight home the next day. And he had just tested positive for Covid-19. 

The result threw the tournament—and Nakamura’s path home—into chaos. After an hour-long delay last Thursday, the final day of action proceeded without one of the sport’s pre-eminent stars. Nakamura has since been isolated in a Polish hotel room trying to figure out how and when he’s allowed to return to the U.S. As of Monday evening, he had yet to find a reliable answer. 

“It’s a tough situation,” Nakamura says. “It’s all just very, very confusing.”

It’s a problem that could afflict any American traveling in a foreign country, or even Olympians at the upcoming Beijing Games. The Omicron variant is raging across the globe while different authorities may have different guidelines on how and when it’s appropriate to proceed. It doesn’t help when those rules are in a West Slavic language. 

4 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

The #1 tennis player.

Yeah - center of a bit of controversy.  Seems the left hand (organizers) and the right hand (state/nat'l gov't) have different rules and waivers.  

Pretty sure I wouldn't be allowed into Australia unvaxxed without some other hoops to jump through, and just being told by an event that I could participate isn't quite enough.   I would say, that's sort of why you get all that stuff sorted out before boarding the plane. :(

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

My kids love the Witcher.  They were discussing it last weekend and wanted to rewatch season 1 before watching the new shows.  I have watched parts of it and it seems well done. 

mr. is not a fan. He’s not buying the whole tension between chaos and destiny. All he sees is disordered story telling.

20 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I got PCR results in 15 hours, latest was probably 20 hours.

Staff shortages due to absent employees is hitting the sector hard. Ironically, the step daughter and her husband are counted in the stats of front line workers either infected or isolated pending test results. Both are Toronto paramedics, 

Just heard a news story this morning about people waiting for test results since before Christmas.

• Sad 2

His parents talk to him regularly. He caused a bit of concern yesterday when he did not answer calls or texts and did not log in to school for his on line classes. His excuse was he was sleeping but I think he was just ignoring everything and watching TV.

He is 9 time zones away so it would be 6pm there when he is to log into school so he really has no excuse there.

Teenagers. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3