Yay

Gump

13 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

You got to love lake effect snow.  

When I was studying and teaching at the University of Toronto, it would amaze me at how much snow hit Buffalo, on the south of Lake Ontario, while Toronto, across the lake on the north, usually got much less due the lake effect and the winter winds blowing toward the south more often than north.

58 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

When I was studying and teaching at the University of Toronto, it would amaze me at how much snow hit Buffalo, on the south of Lake Ontario, while Toronto, across the lake on the north, usually got much less due the lake effect and the winter winds blowing toward the south more often than north.

Lake effect is a funny beast. I live 13 miles from work and have seen 2-3 feet of snow at home and none here. Also seen the same in reverse. All depends on wind direction. 
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/central-ny/blog/2019/12/06/lake-effect-snow--the-essentials-of-this-weather-making-phenomenon-

We got 4" to 6" yesterday that mercifully ended by 2 pm, giving me a couple hours to shovel-out 200 feet of sidewalks (I live on a corner), two porches, and my car.  I was going to volunteer to shovel my neighbor's (broken hip) walk today, but a son or her daughter had done it by the time I looked around 10 am.

I don't plan to drive today, but my brother reports the main roads are good and the sun and warm ground are melting ice and snow on the side roads by my house.  Tomorrow's supposed to hit a high of 44°, so it should be good driving in the afternoon: I need glue for the rubber feet on my kitchen scale and a few groceries.

The snow on the roof of the east side of my house is as think as the snow on that side of any other house I can see: the new insulation is doing its job.

20220104_124307.900p.jpg

20220104_124537.900p.jpg

Yay, Watertown!

Spring break, 1976. Louie LaFornara & I were in his car driving back to Potsdam. Him for a job interview, me for LAX practice (practiced in the iceless arena after our Div 1 team, yet again, didn't make it past the ECACs). Blizzard/white out conditions on I-81 outta SYR. They used those two/three tiered plows, so it was like driving in a white viaduct. Couldn't see forward, so he looked to the wall on the left & I watched the wall on the right as we tried to stay centered. That was the year that the first time we were on grass was for our first game down at Sienna. The ball bounces a lot differently on grass than it does on concrete.

• Heart 1