In the recent news of a member passing...

Dottleshead

6 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...dietary fat is where it's at.  

Yes - and that means a significant amount of it!  I know my diet and food recommendations have drawn the scorn of some folks here, but then they've tried to push their bad, fad diets on me!

The U.S. National Institutes of Health, after decades of studies where staff weighs out to the gram food boxes for volunteers to take home - I've been there and watched them do that, has found that one of the very best diets is the Mediterranean Diet, where 1/3 of Calories come from healthy fats.  The good-and-bad of fats is well discussed by the NIH here and concludes: "Fats are especially important for infants and toddlers, because dietary fat contributes to proper growth and development... Experts say that the total fat intake for adults ages 19 and older should be 20% to 35% of the calories eaten each day. For children ages 4 to 18, it should be 25% to 35%.  Experts also say you should get less than 10% of your calories from saturated fatty acids. NIH-funded studies have shown that replacing the solid fats in your diet with healthful unsaturated fats can have a positive impact."

The Mayo Clinic says, "Looking for a heart-healthy eating plan? The Mediterranean diet might be the right fit."

My diet plan in 2022 includes a lot of mostly-veggie soups and stews and I'm concerned if I'll be getting enough fats.

Back in the 80's, the fad diet that had glowing testimony after testimony and allegedly helped an Australian win an Olympic Gold Medal and brought his father's heart back from near-death to running 10K's, was the Pritikin Promise.  It called for 85% carbohydrates.  An awful choice.

Then you had the early 2000's fads with as few carbs as possible, an awful choice unless you're a diabetic or have other medical issues.

Then there is the Ketogenic Diet, high fat, low carbs. Awful.

The Paleo Diet is allegedly based on what primitive humans ate.  Of course, they ate whatever they could find and lived to 40.  Enough said.

Now you've got a "gluten free" craze, where gluten is bad for about 1 in every 133 people (see Harvard study and discussion of other studies here), basically those with Celiac Disease, but is a beneficial protein for almost all the rest!  Yet many food products trumpet "Gluten Free!" because the population has been conned into thinking it's bad.

The Pritiken Promise, Atkins Diet, etc. are based on very-lightly-researched and poorly studied diets.

I prefer the recommendations of the National Institutes of Health.  I spent some time there while I was coauthoring the Nutrition Science curriculum that's now used in many mid-Atlantic high schools.  The standards of the studies are so far above those of the fad diets it's awesome!  In one study I observed there, they had a volunteer living inside an insulated box about 15' x 15' for weeks where they measured every bit of energy going in and out: even the light energy through his small window and the temperature of the poop and urine he flushed out!

If you want a good read on how to avoid falling into believing in diets unsupported by the facts, a really great read is: Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating, c. 2017.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Two words:  Mediterranean Diet.

This goes very well with @MickinMD very thorough response. It really isn't about diet but eating a balance and variety. Go back about 18 years ago and I was seeing my rheumatologist practically monthly for my condition, MCTD, where I lucked out having three auto-immune disorders. I was on three or four medications and was always feeling terrible and had a hard time being physically motivated. My insurance changed and ended up changing Dr. The new doctor looked me over said I was young, too young to be on so many medications. He said you can look at the Mediterranean Diet or my suggestion:

Eat the Rainbow

In other words, variety and moderation. I haven't been on an autoimmune medication in well over 15 years.

Oh and for anyone who is interested. The book Mick posted via amazon I happen to have. I attached the epub format here.

Walter C. Willett - Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy_ The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating-Free Press (2005).epub

• Heart 2

24 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

This goes very well with @MickinMD very thorough response. It really isn't about diet but eating a balance and variety. Go back about 18 years ago and I was seeing my rheumatologist practically monthly for my condition, MCTD, where I lucked out having three auto-immune disorders. I was on three or four medications and was always feeling terrible and had a hard time being physically motivated. My insurance changed and ended up changing Dr. The new doctor looked me over said I was young, too young to be on so many medications. He said you can look at the Mediterranean Diet or my suggestion:

Eat the Rainbow

In other words, variety and moderation. I haven't been on an autoimmune medication in well over 15 years.

Oh and for anyone who is interested. The book Mick posted via amazon I happen to have. I attached the epub format here.

Walter C. Willett - Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy_ The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating-Free Press (2005).epub 7.83 MB · 0 downloads

I think Dennis is correct in always pushing his Michael Pollan quote - "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants". 

Fruits, veggies, and fish are my faves.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

The Ketogenic diet is actually a very sound diet if done properly.  Unfortunately, it has been the target of the diet industry and perverted beyond what it started as and should be.  A plant based high fat, low carb diet.  Last I checked, bacon was not a plant.  When you break it down, it is very similar to the Mediterranean diet. 

• Heart 1

...the Alps have better architecture and although the roads are a little iffy in places, the setup for staying in a little town to ski and never starting your car while you're there are better.  And you have to be pretty well off to eat food of the same quality on a ski vacation in the Sierra that you run into everywhere in Italy.  

Aspen is set up on a similar model to the European one, but they are trying to get closer to it at places like Northstar.  They haven't got it yet, though, and they might run out of snow before it happens.

5 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...the Alps have better architecture and although the roads are a little iffy in places, the setup for staying in a little town to ski and never starting your car while you're there are better.  And you have to be pretty well off to eat food of the same quality on a ski vacation in the Sierra that you run into everywhere in Italy.  

Aspen is set up on a similar model to the European one, but they are trying to get closer to it at places like Northstar.  They haven't got it yet, though, and they might run out of snow before it happens.

I wonder if they could truck some in from Virginia.

• Heart 1