Do you ever forget how/when you've learned stuff?

bikeman564™

I'd say almost every word I know I can't remember where I learned it. Even the ones I highlighted last week are fading!  Maybe the kitchen sink view of this is that it is healthy to "forget" a lot.  

I think it was Marilu Henner - who has a perfect memory - who made me realize a great memory is a dangerous thing from a psychological perspective.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Are you sure you are remembering that correctly????  I could see forgetting the time I spent thinking about that sort of thing :whistle:

Yep I am sure. Doesn't mean I've not some time scurrying around finding some information to include in a manuscript, but I've never spent much time pondering the ways of the world. Not my approach to life.

There are too many things we learn to remember many of them.

I don't remember who taught me "righty tighty, lefty loosey."

I don't remember who taught how to correctly swirl liquids in an Erlenmeyer flask to mix things most effectively, but I do remember more major things like Dr. Vincent telling me to make sure I had my lead vest on when I did X-ray crystallography and Dr. Vitullo teasing me and saying, "Repeat after me, 'We tweak the fine-Y,'" while teaching me to use the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance machine to test various organic chemicals for their structures.

I do remember a lot going way back, like sitting in my 2nd grade classroom in 1957 and looking at the complete alphabet of cursive capital and small letters above the blackboard while Sister Damaris taught us the "Palmer Method" of cursive writing. I liked to talk about my telescope and she nicknamed me "Mars."

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I have some pieces of knowledge that I have no idea how I learned them

So your in stage 4 of leaning...  https://leadershipmanagement.com.au/understanding-4-stages-learning/   Which isn't a bag thing.

Me...  I'm just happy when  I remember what day it is.  Every day is Saturday.   My watch (it displays the day and date) has saved me more than a few times.   Yeah... it's Tuesday..  :party:

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

So your in stage 4 of leaning...  https://leadershipmanagement.com.au/understanding-4-stages-learning/   Which isn't a bag thing.

Me...  I'm just happy when  I remember what day it is.  Every day is Saturday.   My watch (it displays the day and date) has saved me more than a few times.   Yeah... it's Tuesday..  :party:

:D

I've looked at my watch for time & date...that's what its there for :)